Cylinder head pressure testing/skimming in Bournemouth area

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you do need the valves out whilst presure testing, otherwise you cant see wright down inside the ports were any cracking is most likely,
and buying a S/H head is no good as you would still have to have it presure teted and skimed to be on the safe side
regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote: and buying a S/H head is no good as you would still have to have it presure teted and skimed to be on the safe side
I totally agree Malcolm, even that head that is apparantly brand new on eBay I'd want checked and given a light skim as for sure it will have picked up some dings and scratches underneath. A ding ar scratch on a part of the surface where the gasket fire rings sit will lead to problems.

Mike, bottom line. Chances are very good that your head is OK and just needs a skim. Go for it. The lest stressful way. If a head man is any good, he'll pressure test it first and if it's dodgy he'll tell you and will only charge a nominal figure for the time spent testing it. My local head man did that for me with a suspect head and charged nothing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I was hoping a new head would avoid those additional costs, that was the whole point of looking out for one - with the additional benefits of being new and that I may still be able sell off my head, lowering the costs further.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote:...he'll pressure test it first ..... My local head man did that for me with a suspect head and charged nothing...
That would be worth the fuel costs for sure :lol:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

an enginer told me the after market heads GSF and him self supply are made of a more dence alloy than the O/E heads, and out of all the PSA heads he has sold has not had 1 fail yet, his workshop is attatched to a citroen indys workshop

regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

If money were no obstacle... :roll: