Sterter motor noise that wasn't

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Sterter motor noise that wasn't

Post by Stempy »

Well, just like all good Xantia owners I spent the morning under the car. There's been a bit of a squeak noise when starting from cold which I assumed to be the starter solenoid not returning quickly enough due do ingress of grime etc. so I removed it, dismantled it, cleaned and regreased everything then refitted. Guess what, the squeak is still there. Never happens after the first start in the morning though.

The job involves removing the oil filter for access so at least the old girl got an oil change, and the starter is good as new too. As for the squeak, I guess further investigation is required. Maybe its the aux belt under full load when cold, but I can't see how to tighten it any more as the tensioner is fully automatic and I replaced it and all the associated gubbins only a few months ago.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If it is the aux belt, it will do it every time the car has been left for several hours.

This would most certainly be the alternator topping up the resting battery voltage.
You can only test the battery after an over night rest, as only then the voltage has dropped to the NO-GO point, if it is the battery at fault.

The battery should then read at least 12.6V being in moderate to good condition.
The NO-GO is below 12.4V, which indicates a sulphated (tired) battery ready for pension.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Cheers for the advice Anders. The Battery is only a month old so should be fine. There is no trouble with the engine spinning up, but as you say, it does do it every time the car has been left for a few hours, never when warm.
It infuriates me to be wrong when I know I'm right

Lexia ponce

http://perception.dyndns.biz/~avengineering/index.htm
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

But we dont give up do we ?

What killed the old battery - alternator problems ?.
Check the charge voltage on the battery 5 mins after engine start, headlights on.
Should read 14.0V or bit more. NO-GO for defective wiring or alternator is 13.9V.
Should NOT read more than 14.40V under any circumstances.
Even the slightest more is a sure defective alternator (regulator module).
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image