Xantiaman's Blog

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

XantiaMan
Posts: 1603
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 18:47
x 11

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by XantiaMan » 13 Oct 2009, 21:03

CitroJim wrote:
RichardW wrote: Caveat - never done it, this is all my understanding from reading the BOL re the 2.1TD. Probably all spherical objects then.... :roll:
No, not spheres at all Richard, that's very much my understanding. Agree that with the engine in-situ it might be very tricky to line up the forks but with engine out and my girly hands, you never know :D When you're ready for the reassembly Gareth, let me know and me and my hands will come up and we'll then see :wink:

Let me know soonest a good day to come up in the week. next week is looking clear at the moment, as is the week after but the sooner we can agree a date the better.

Do let me know the size/shape of the hole in the end of clutch fork so I can fabricate a tool before I make the journey, in case we do need it.

Looking forward to this. Pleased to see the engine looking very clean.

Out of interest, where was the bite point on the old clutch? I can't rightly recall now but interested to see if the bite point may have any bearing on possible wear.

Good work sir!
Will drop you a PM mate.

The bite point was near the top, and had not changed much since i got it. It was a surprise to me!

The size of hole, is this the hole through the middle of the release bearing?

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by CitroJim » 13 Oct 2009, 21:16

XantiaMan583 wrote: The size of hole, is this the hole through the middle of the release bearing?
There should (I reckon) be a hole in the end of the clutch fork near where the slave cylinder pushrod operates. This is the hole where the tool should go in and turn to enable the release bearing to be pulled back onto the clutch diaphragm spring.

Look at the business end of the picture of the tool and you'll see a "T" shape on the end. I reckon this should fit into a corresponding hole in the clutch fork so the tool can be rotated through 90 degrees to enable a backwards pull to be applied to the arm to engage the bearing.

I've replied to your PM Gareth.

XantiaMan
Posts: 1603
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 18:47
x 11

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by XantiaMan » 13 Oct 2009, 21:21

CitroJim wrote:
XantiaMan583 wrote: The size of hole, is this the hole through the middle of the release bearing?
There should (I reckon) be a hole in the end of the clutch fork near where the slave cylinder pushrod operates. This is the hole where the tool should go in and turn to enable the release bearing to be pulled back onto the clutch diaphragm spring.

Look at the business end of the picture of the tool and you'll see a "T" shape on the end. I reckon this should fit into a corresponding hole in the clutch fork so the tool can be rotated through 90 degrees to enable a backwards pull to be applied to the arm to engage the bearing.

I've replied to your PM Gareth.
There is a blanking plug in the gearbox not far from where the slave cylinder goes, wonder if its that?

You can just about see it in this picture -

Image

Its right on the top of the casing, looks yellow ish.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by CitroJim » 13 Oct 2009, 21:28

No, wouldn't have thought so. That looks like one of the release arm shaft bearings.

I reckon the hole should be somewhere in the vicinity of the green circle in the picture below...

Image

XantiaMan
Posts: 1603
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 18:47
x 11

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by XantiaMan » 14 Oct 2009, 10:59

I've found the hole :wink:


Image

Looks big in the picture but reality is its no more than about a centimetre wide. I will try and measure it if i can find a tape measure. Its just below where the pushrod operates the arm.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2009, 11:22

Excellent, That's the one :D

Looking at the juxtaposition of the release arm forks and the input shaft, we'll be lucky to get those back in the bearing if trying to reassemble with the bearing in place on the diaphragm...

Next trick will be to see how easy it is to pop the release bearing off the diaphragm....

XantiaMan
Posts: 1603
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 18:47
x 11

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by XantiaMan » 14 Oct 2009, 12:08

CitroJim wrote:Excellent, That's the one :D

Looking at the juxtaposition of the release arm forks and the input shaft, we'll be lucky to get those back in the bearing if trying to reassemble with the bearing in place on the diaphragm...

Next trick will be to see how easy it is to pop the release bearing off the diaphragm....
I would say fiddly, may not be impossible. Should just be a snap ring on the release bearing, pop off with a screwdriver. I'll try with my old clutch first.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2009, 12:25

Before doing that Gareth, try a trial reassembly with the release bearing still in place.

Then try snapping out the bearing!

All very valuable information this :D

XantiaMan
Posts: 1603
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 18:47
x 11

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by XantiaMan » 14 Oct 2009, 15:15

CitroJim wrote:Before doing that Gareth, try a trial reassembly with the release bearing still in place.

Then try snapping out the bearing!

All very valuable information this :D
Bit difficult at the moment as the clutch isnt bolted onto the flywheel. The clip comes off very easily!

Got the new manifold gasket today, shame they get so bad but i reckon a little more torque and spotlessly clean should do the trick.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41564
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1052

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by CitroJim » 14 Oct 2009, 18:28

Great stuff!!

All set for Monday Gareth :D

XantiaMan
Posts: 1603
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 18:47
x 11

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by XantiaMan » 17 Oct 2009, 13:02

New turbo has landed :D

Will do a pic later. It is well and truly a hybrid, with a Rover compressor housing and wheel, built in recirc dump valve. There could even be space for it!

XantiaMan
Posts: 1603
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 18:47
x 11

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by XantiaMan » 17 Oct 2009, 16:59

Heretis..

Image

Bigger wheel, housing to match although same A/R as original.

Image

Clearance pic, should be all ok once in but dont fancy changing the DV diaphragm !

Image

KP
Posts: 3980
Joined: 10 Jul 2006, 12:11
x 7

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by KP » 17 Oct 2009, 19:55

Not looking bad gareth :)

Got some de-ruster on hand at all ;) Be very carefull when putting this back in for those heater matrix pipes on the bulkhead, i swear mine were very poor when it came down to taking them off. once i removed all the gunky silicone i had tried as a temp measure the things were in bits...

XantiaMan
Posts: 1603
Joined: 12 Aug 2007, 18:47
x 11

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by XantiaMan » 17 Oct 2009, 20:39

KP wrote:Not looking bad gareth :)

Got some de-ruster on hand at all ;) Be very carefull when putting this back in for those heater matrix pipes on the bulkhead, i swear mine were very poor when it came down to taking them off. once i removed all the gunky silicone i had tried as a temp measure the things were in bits...
Shouldnt be a problem, i didnt spilt the pipes at the matrix, did it at the engine instead to reduce risk of damage (AND HASSLE!!).

That actuator is off the spare engine and was sat a while which is why it looks a bit tatty. But, i will never see it when refitted so thats how it stays! The gearbox end case may get a spritz of smoothrite when refitted as that was not looking very pretty.

User avatar
Xaccers
Posts: 7654
Joined: 08 Feb 2007, 00:46
x 3

Xantiaman's Blog

Post by Xaccers » 17 Oct 2009, 20:49

With the engine out it should make splitting the heater matrix end much easier.
I'm thinking it might be an idea to split it now (assuming the matrix hasn't been done recently) simply to make it easier should you need to do the matrix in the future.