clutch cable????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

Thanks Handyman.
slower than last time I'm afraid
I have concluded that you want the bolt the wrong way round as
it forces you to lower the brake pedal and that makes things so much easier.
There certainly is no need to cut the bolt.
Even without spectacles and tiny hands I cannot see a sub 15 min time is possible.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Bxman, I think that is an admirable time. No need to bust your balls trying to get to a hypothetical time, especially as the book time is four and a half hours. Well done! :D

As for our friend who blows hot air, well is there any more to be said? :P

Handyman
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

hi handyman
Sadly even taking off the time it took me to check the illustration ,have a cup of coffee and scratch my head, I was on my back with my legs in the air for a good 50 minutes on this occasion.
I really do think someones pants are on fire. Let's hope he eventually lets us into the secret.
craigmanc

Post by craigmanc »

Right oh right oh right! I will let you know as been slagged off about this!!
1- Remove padding from bottom of coloum.
2- Remove 13mm nut from bolt holding pedal in.
3- Remove brown clip from pedal.
4-The bracket on left hand side of pedal bend it slightly about 2-3cm's with a prybar.
5- Lift up the pedal,as no brown clip on it will move up further.
6- The bolt will now pull out on an angle.
7- Pedal will now drop out.
Note I have done hundreds of these so remember where the spring and bush go in.
8- When rebuilding put the bolt in the other way through.
9- Super glue the nut to a 13mm openended spanner so you can fish it in and it will hold in place.

Anybody wanna start the clock and watch me do one!!
19 years Citroen Tech. Old School Consultant Technician!!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Craig, we weren't slagging you, we were goading you to come up with the goods. Many people on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and are only too willing to share it for the common good.

I notice from your description, which looks very well practised, that you do not mention about bending the bracket back into alignment.

What do you do prior to getting down to the job, so to speak? Do you push the seat right back? Do you unbolt it, as some have, to gain access? These all add to the discomfort of doing what is basically a very simple task.

I notice you do not mention about fixing the new clip and refitting the cable, as I see this as the most awkward part of the whole job. Almost impossible to do it single-handed, as you need an oppo to shove the cable inner from the other end. I usually do it with a pair of long-nose pliers with the pedal still off. I have done a few now and it works for me.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Handyman
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

Happy Christmas Craig all credit to you .

By the Brown clip do you mean the remains of the old clip which has a nylon
pin pressed through body acting as a pivot for the clip on the pedal extension?
The pedal has always come away with a few wriggles and I have used a pin punch to remove the pin in the old clip.
I can not envisage removing it easily whilst next to the engine bulkhead.
I have found which ever way the bolt is fitted getting that out has been one of the easier tasks, a selection of flat bladed screwdrivers pry the bolt out relatively easily.
Many thanks for your information I think I speak for many others who are grateful to you for your contribution and I know are that I for one am always eager to benefit and learn form others experiences.
Best wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year.
Patrick A
craigmanc

Post by craigmanc »

The brown clip is a connector so the pedal will lift up further. I slide the seat back as I am now a nimble 21 stone and struggled getting my 53 inch chest under the dash!

The easiest way to put the cable back in is line the pedal up with the cable and then lift the pedal. That will keep the pedal and cable lined up,while you hold it up get somebody to simply push in the inner part of the cable and that will allow the cable to go into the pedal.
19 years Citroen Tech. Old School Consultant Technician!!