clutch cable????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Magictorch, if pt No: 9 is missing, the pedal will be all over the place, as this is the inner bearing. You cannot see it just by looking at the pedal assembly. The bolt can be fitted either way round, as long as there is a self-locking nut on it.

The spring in the assembly is just to pre-tension the pedal and plays no part in the clutch operation.

There are two types of clutch cable fitted to Xantias. The self adjusting and the manually adjusted, depending on your vehicle. They are not inter-changeable. This may be why your clutch pedal is too high, as both cables need to be set to minimum clearance.

If you are regularly snapping the cable clip, you need a new clutch! :shock: The clip is partly a fail safe but its demise is also a warning to a clutch that has reached the end of its life.

The only reason I have a box of these old clips is because I have fitted quite a few new ones on cars where they have expired. You only need one as a spare. :P

Looks like your £50 was a bit of a false economy. You need to ask your mechanic if he bought the cowboys hat or did he just find it?

Handyman
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Cheers Handyman, Its not breaking all the time. The clutch pedal operation is smooth but as i said it is stiff. I think the clutch probably could do with a change as could the cable. I have had the car since February 2006 and its been fine up until this week.

Ho ho ho off to scrapies i go to get an assembly to compare.

J
craigmanc

Post by craigmanc »

Dont want to blow my own trumpet but I can change the clutch cable clip in 10-12 minutes.

Yes it will be cause the clutch itself has gone stiff!. So the clip is the weakest point to fail in that condition.

Labour time used to be 4.6 hours for the clip and 7.8 for the clutch!!
19 years Citroen Tech. Old School Consultant Technician!!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Come on then Craig, spill the beans, we want chapter and verse on changing the clutch clip in ten to twelve minutes! :P

My best time was twenty minutes, but I usually take forty-five minutes.

Handyman
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Yes please Craig. Tell us how its done. That was when it does go snap crackle pop on the road I can get the spare one out of the glove box and do a headstand in my car to change it! :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Richard (handyman) regarding the said missing parts, also the cables very seldom give trouble, it is almost certainly your clutch at the end of its life,

so which way round is you bolt now, the best way to refit is nut towards the brake pedel

and i think the averige time i take is around 45mins,
regards malcolm
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Bolt is now facing the break pedal. So how hard is it to change the clutch + cable????

J
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

magictorch wrote:So how hard is it to change the clutch + cable????
This thread will give you a good idea of what's involved in replacing a Clutch J :roll:

Since writing that piece, I've done another with Xac and second and subsequent ones are a lot easier :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

What a friendly bunch people are on this forum. Well I found the definitive on changing that clip here:

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showth ... tia+clutch

Diagram is awesome.

As for changing the clutch. That is well beyond my skills and garage space. I think its time to say goodbye to the old girl.

J
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

dont worry about the cable at this stage, im sure you will be impresed once a new VALIO clutch kit has been fitted,

were abouts are you as i charge £180 to fit a clutch kit, this price dose include fitting if necessary a pair of diff seals and the two nylon fork bushes, + parts

regards
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

South Wales dude. I was quoted £230 locally so not that far off from what you quote.

I will weigh up if its worth it or not. It would be a shame to say goodbye to it as Diesel Estates which are in such good nick are hard to come by. The body work on these cars is amazing and compared to a 2000 Mazda has hardly any rust for a 1996 car.

J
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

Come on craigmanc

on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:15 pm you tantalized us all by
suggesting the clutch clip could be done in 10 minutes or so
Time to save us all effort and time by revealing the secret.
I have another to do before Christmas .
could I bring it to you in the next hour ?
we could run a sweepstake on the actual time taken and contribute
to your favorite charity.
I blame myself for saying on thursday "I do not want to be repeating the task. But I would be willing to do my friends as a preventive measure if it took less than half an hour. "
It has sadly become essential rather than preventative.
Your answer would be appreciated in the next 15 minutes.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hi bxman, methinks the guy is a bit of a teaser, as he seems to be very quiet about passing on information and always proclaims he is blowing his own trumpet, although I think the notes he plays are very flat. :roll: :roll:

If you've already done a clip, the next one should be a walk in the park.

Handyman, and yes I do play a trumpet!!! :lol: :lol:
bxman
My Cars:

Post by bxman »

Hi Handyman
Luckily I have not had time to lose the tools
so that will save a couple of hours. No secret yet so
looks as though I will have to make a start.
wish me well!!
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Bxman, bon chance, I have utmost faith in your ability. Just do not skin your knuckles and make sure you've pushed the seat as far back as it will go. :wink:

Handyman