clutch cable????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: Be nice it they could spell, of course :D

Edited for spelling :cry:
And there's still a spelling error in there Steve :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citrojim wrote:
myglaren wrote: Be nice it they could spell, of course :D

Edited for spelling :cry:
And there's still a spelling error in there Steve :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep, first thing I saw when I came into the thread (it went to my post first) (and there are two, aksherly) I really should go back to Firefox for the spellchecker, getting tired of Opera - eBay crashes it so looking at the CXs was a bugger.

Check your messages Jim :D
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you will probably find its made in UK shipped twice round the planet then sold to us foe 10 times what it cost to produce
regards malcolm
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

citrojim wrote:
myglaren wrote:
exminiman wrote:and pardon my thickness....but what does arming myself with plenty of percy whatsit mean?
Perspicacity?
Perseverance?
Persperation?

Or one of those in-jokes where you have too be a forum member for five years before they let you in on it :D
All three Steve :lol: :lol:

The only thing you don't need is Procastination.

I was so lucky the time I did a clip, the bolt was on the "right" side... Still not what I'd describe as a pleasant job though. Lying upside down in a footwell is not on my list of favourite things, especially when the door shuts on you and you find yourself trapped :twisted: :lol:

the right side Jim
dont you mean it was the right side going in from the left, HE HE HE
regards malcolm
magictorch
My Cars:

More clutch clip woes

Post by magictorch »

Yes mine went snap last night on a very busy stretch of road. I was lucky enough to pull into a layby. I bought the clip from the main stealer and took to local Citroen guru to have it fixed today.

Cost of clip from main stealer: £9.52
Ebay: £7

So not much difference there. I will let you know what the guru will charge me.

J
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Malcolm (Citronut) wrote
you will probably find its made in UK shipped twice round the planet then sold to us foe 10 times what it cost to produce
Years ago, before we joined the Common Market, I owned a Volvo 145 for a while. I was told at the local Volvo dealer that spares were expensive in part because 90% of a Volvo (including body pressings) was made in the UK, shipped to Sweden (hefty import duty), before being shipped back to the UK (more import duty) as packed spares or new cars. But, if a Volvo audit found parts bought direct from UK producers, they'd lose the dealership.

One of the benefits of the EU, is that this sort of behaviour is illegal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guy
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
magictorch
My Cars:

Finished

Post by magictorch »

OK so Citroen guru has been moved down from status of guru to leaving bits behind. He fitted the connector and it looks good. The black housing that was going into the footwell has now disappeared. There also appears to be a bush missing from the Clutch pedal bolt. Has or can anyone post a picture of their Clutch or even the whole assembly itself???

Total cost was £50

J
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Finished

Post by CitroJim »

magictorch wrote:There also appears to be a bush missing from the Clutch pedal bolt. Has or can anyone post a picture of their Clutch or even the whole assembly itself???

Total cost was £50

J
£50 is not bad for the aggro the job can be J. Can't think of any bush, just a spring. Nor any black housing :?

It's not easy to get a picture of the pedal box but when service.citroen comes back on-line an expoded diagram should be available.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Service.citroen you say? Please please do tell me more. Have you got a linky? I was happy to pay £50. I just want to ensure everything is as it should be down there (ooo eeerrrr).

J
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

The wonders of the internet have provided me with this fab diagram.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, but that is not a Xantia pedal Box J. Or at least, not one I recognise...

service.citroen.com is a place you can register and look at parts lists and expolded diagrams. The diagram you have will have come from there or the stand-alone Laser database.

There is a thread or three about service.citroen.com knocking around the forum somewhere. Do a quick search and you'll find it.

I've just looked at Laser and pulled this screen grab of the proper Xantia Clutch pedal. I can now see the bush - Item 8.

Sorry for the poor quality, my Laser runs inside a virtual PC and I cannot copy diagrams directly out of it. I have to do a screen-grab and then compress it.

Jim

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Hello Jim, that 'top hat' bush is there to keep the tension spring in place, as I believe it can unclip itself and snag the pedal.

I've never had a good look at the parts diagrams but see they list the spring clip as a separate part. I have a box of old clutch clips all with broken springs. I knew there was a reason for keeping them! :shock:

I see the price for this part has slowly crept up from about £2.50 when I did my first clip, some time ago.

Do you think Citroen are using this part as a cash cow? Maybe they planned the evil design knowing that in the fullness of time that they would be able to ride out the recession on the profits of this diabolical part. :twisted: :evil:

Handyman
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im sure i have seen that first setup on a xant,

i also think this part saves the cable, even though it can be a BBBBBBB to fit, along with loads of PERCYWHATSIT!!!!!!!!!!

so maybe the is madness in there method

regards malcolm
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Yep that 2nd laser diagram is more like my setup. No wonder i was slightly confused last night.

I am definitely going to a scrap dealer and taking apart one of these clutch pedals over Crimbo.

I am also going to buy a stock of three of those clutch connectors from ebay just in case this all happens again which i fear it may.

Big cheers to citrojim for that diagram.

J
magictorch
My Cars:

Post by magictorch »

Further more it would appear that part 6 + 8,7,9 is now missing from the assembly. The clutch pedal now comes up way to high and the mechnic has put the bolt back in the opposite way on the pedal.

So i am guesing that because the spring is now not there the pedal is simply rising all the way up. I also wonder if 'he' just did this so he could attach the cable to the connector easier than adjusting the clutch cable underneath.

J