Suspension gone Haywire

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Suspension gone Haywire

Post by Toby_HDi »

Hi all, have a problem with the suspension on my Xantia.

Other than the fact it sinks when left (new spheres needed which I've known for a while) it now will not stay level.

Yesterday the back was in its highest position and the front was low so I did some citeraerobics and this morning the back had sunk all the way down and the front was normal (this was found when I got to work) Just got back from work (did some more citaerobics before I left for home) and now the back is high again and the front is low.

Whats going on? I know driving is not clever unless the suspension is in its normal setting, what damage can this do?

Have tried all I can and I did the shock absorber test and they seem rather solid now whereas before they were ok. Any ideas?

If anyone is local who would know what their looking at wants to come and have a look, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Don't panic, the issue you describe is a common Xantia fault that has been
covered on this forum before; you need to use the search option on the top
of the forum for height corrector linkage and that'll throw up chapter
and verse written here explaining the issues that cause the scenario you
describe with varying heights front/back.

Whereabouts are you located if someone who's experienced this issue can
check it out for you?

Andrew
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

first thing i would check to see uf the plastic hight corector link is still attatched on the rear axle,

also you should not drive these cars on high, or with hard suspension, as you can nock out arm bushes/ bearings prematurly, pluss they are not very safe like this as they jump all over the road
regards malcolm

ps.
were is local to what
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Will have a look on the forum. Am in Ringwood, Hampshire. Might have a go at it tonight if I find some info.

Managed to put a dent in my front wing doing the test for the shocks lol.

Anyone got one spare perhaps? lol

Cheers
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

This may be an easy fix popping the linkage back on even using the
dodge with a cable tie to hold things in place again BUT TAKE CARE
NOT TO BE UNDER THE CAR IN A POSITION WHERE IT CAN CRUSH
YOU IF IT DROPS SUDDENLY TO LOW!!

At the least use decent ramps or support the car on blocks/stands etc.

Andrew
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

If you can drive it down here I'd be happy to take a gander though I'm in no way an expert, two heads are better than one, as they say.

If you need to re-set the suspension to a rough approximation of normal, I find it best to set it to low first and allow all corners to sink then to set it to normal and see if both ends come up. If not, set it to intermediate but as soon as the disobedient end begins moving, set it back to normal. I won't guarantee it will work but it has for me in the past.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks for the warning andmcit

Thanks Mike might take you up on that, you may be no expert as you say but no doubt you know far more than me.

Does anyone have any idea about the cost of a full suspension system overhaul? Thinking expensive, especially at a Citroen dealer?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

that depends how far you want to go and how deep your pokets are,

or the other way of looking at it is if it aint broke dont fix it

regards malcolm
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Toby_HDi wrote:Thanks Mike might take you up on that.
PM sent.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

There's been a development -

Now the back stays low. the front is normal, drops on start up and rises back to normal.

Big thing is this though:

Delayed brakes!! eeek!

I will put my foot on the brake pedal and get nothing for a second before they kick in at nearly full force. Most of the time setting off the ABS.

What the devil is going on? :shock:
deian

Post by deian »

delayed brakes is definately air in the brake lines. It isn't usually associated with high/low acting front/back.

Bleeding brakes on a xantia is easy, just take the wheel off, find the nipple, put pipe over the end, and start unscrewing gently (watch for shearing the nut though, they can be quite tough especially on the back brakes), then when you have opened a bit, start the engine, and push brakes gently, look for fluid coming out of the brake nipple and down the pipes, notice the air! Continue until the air stops, then move onto the other wheel.

I can't remember the correct wheel sequence for bleeding the brake.

If you know the fluid is clean, there is nothing stopping you taking the pipe from the nipples and into the LHM resevoir. Thats silly though. Remember to refill the LHM with the quantity of LHM that comes from the brakes though.

As for the front/back/high/low issue. I'm sure you will check the clip, thats the classic fix. If the clip is ok, spray the rear height corrector with wd40. And get the linkages moving.

The air got into the brakes because there is air in the system which came from dead speheres. You know about this, better get it fixed asap if it's still going to leak into the system. LHM + air = bad news. Imagine if you have no ABS, you might be skidding somewhere.

Good luck.
Last edited by deian on 25 Jun 2008, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Thanks deian, very helpful that.

So methinks I have a shopping list to get together....... :shock: