Diesel vs LPG?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I'm not quite ready to run my Xantia VSX auto 2.0i on LPG yet to give a
full balanced view of the pro's and cons against the normal petrol/diesel
alternatives as I've not got this recent pre-pro converted purchase sorted
out yet.

That said, I have spent time talking to the guys that are qualified to make
cars run on LPG and the inefficiency/drop in performance and economy
when running on gas is marginal - 5% or thereabouts. The system fitted is
a series of individual injector feeds on the manifold rather than the single
slug into the air cleaner throat and it's the pukka job done when the car
was near new with a big fat donut tank sited unobtrusively under the boot
floor. I'd rather have the option of removing the spare from the boot as
and when I fancy than NO option of removing the chuffing great torpedo
filling all the boot!!

If anything, the car seems to run smoother when it's on gas than petrol.
I'm not 100% certain what issues the car may have yet as it's not been
shaken down and checked out/driven but my Activa is making a very
strong argument with my bank balance to have a car with VERY good
mpg about the place too!!

I'm working on the car matching or slightly bettering a Xant HDi on overall/
equivalent mpg but will keep you guys posted on the reality though I have
no reason to expect worse. A good pal of mine can justify a mahoosive
4.6 HSE Range Rover on LPG which gives him low 30's so there's hope
yet for a 2.0i that manages low 30's on good days.

Andrew
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Peter.N. wrote:If oil stays at this level or more, I can see them opening up the coal mines again.
I believe I read somewhere that this is already in the planning stages.

Also, while talking of commodities although slightly OT, I see that they are hopeful of re-opening one of the tin mines in Cornwall due to the soaring price of tin.
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I always wondered when the coal mines were forced to shut back in the Thatcher era if they didn't have a hidden agenda.

At the time no one could understand why you would close profitable coal mines for the sake of it....maybe soon will have an answer to that!
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

MikeT wrote:It seems no matter which way we turn (SVO LPG etc), prices will rise unacceptably. Having just heard a news story about the changes (read increases) to road fund license (what a laugh that term is!) in the near future. It was said that cars seven years and over will suffer the most substancial increases (depending on CO output). :shock:

As a result, I'm seriously considering the wisdom of spending any more money on maintaining my cars if I won't be able to afford to tax them. :cry: I predict they will also lose any remaining value, meaning more will scrapped.
It looks like there is going to be another U turn on this policy which to be honest is the right thing to do. The proposed Retrospective tax was just another money spinner!!
The level of duty on fuel raises lots of questions, how do other countries with lower fuel duties manage, I'm trying not to get too political more interested in what we are doing wrong.
It is time that a new solution to the Internal combustion engine was found, oh well I guess I'll have to drive my HDI a little more frugally for now. :cry:
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

howiedean wrote:
MikeT wrote:It seems no matter which way we turn (SVO LPG etc), prices will rise unacceptably. Having just heard a news story about the changes (read increases) to road fund license (what a laugh that term is!) in the near future. It was said that cars seven years and over will suffer the most substancial increases (depending on CO output). :shock:

As a result, I'm seriously considering the wisdom of spending any more money on maintaining my cars if I won't be able to afford to tax them. :cry: I predict they will also lose any remaining value, meaning more will scrapped.
It looks like there is going to be another U turn on this policy which to be honest is the right thing to do. The proposed Retrospective tax was just another money spinner!!
The level of duty on fuel raises lots of questions, how do other countries with lower fuel duties manage, I'm trying not to get too political more interested in what we are doing wrong.
It is time that a new solution to the Internal combustion engine was found, oh well I guess I'll have to drive my HDI a little more frugally for now. :cry:
Any comment from you, Anders on how they handle it in Denmark?

I say this because I had a collegue, Danish, who bought a SAAB 900 Turbo like my daughter's and when he took it to Denmark it aroused far more interest than the boss' Bentley, due partly to the staggering price in Denmark as a result of the very high vehicle taxation. It was and still is very high in Sweden but I believe Denmarks vehicle tax is still much greater.
howiedean
My Cars:

Post by howiedean »

How about a Diesel LPG car too. I remember reading about something similar to this a few years ago, obviously the car runs on diesel but LPG is added in small quantities.

Any ideas?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1998-PEUGEOT-406- ... dZViewItem
Howie

2006 Fiat Idea Dynamic 1.3 Multijet
2010 Renault Laguna Dynamique tom tom 2.0 DCI 130
C5 VTR 2l 8v HDI Estate 112000 miles gone
Kia Rio 2007 1.5 CRDI 62,000 miles gone
2001 Dodge Durango 4.7 V8 170,000 miles gone
1999 Ford Crown Victoria 4.6 V8 151,000 miles gone
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Anyway, back to Citroens. My 1.9td is disappointingly uneconomical to drive. I'm only getting mid 30s to the gallon and is not really any more economical than a decent petrol car, however, I am shortly going over to WVO and possibly WVO derived biodiesel and have sourced supplies from a number of outlets. Once I get the filtration plant up and running I won't be too bothered about the Xantia's poor mpg. I believe Xantiaman is also considering this route judging by posts on a different forum.
Our Xantia 1.9Td is much thirstier than our HDi Xant; to the tune of at least 10mpg - sometimes more. The oil stays much cleaner in the 90 HDi, showing that fuel is not being wasted inadvertantly.

Driven with REAL restraint, the HDi will get close to 60mpg on a long run with few holdups - by real restraint I mean around 50mph.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj