Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Post by CitroJim » 19 Dec 2018, 07:20

My old boiler was over thirty years old Neil and it was a real gas-guzzler!!! I really noticed the difference with the combi when it was installed... In fairness it's only broke this once in five years so not too bad...

One thing the engineer showed me was how much debris had collected in the burners... Our town still has a lot of cast-iron gas mains and they are full of rusty scale! It keeps him busy as the more posh and modern combi boilers have gas filters and they regularly get blocked...

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 19 Dec 2018, 18:00

I don't suppose your heating engineer covers central MK too do they?

Have still drawn a blank on getting anyone to service our system, despite sending out messages to a list of twelve a few weeks ago.

Seriously am just going to get a proper set of brushes etc and fresh system additives in and do it myself if I don't get any joy soon, it can't just be left untouched forever!

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 19 Dec 2018, 23:31

As far as I can work out, nobody "services" CH any more, they only perform a safety check.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 20 Dec 2018, 00:04

Just what the engineer who was here last said - after the "service" tech had managed to bugger our boiler completely.
Left it in bits, took three visits to get it back to something like working properly, three circuit boards and two diverter valves among other things.

Every year it would fail shortly after being "serviced" - always at Christmas.

They did used to partly dismantle it and clear some ash out - that was the old one, not the current one though.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 20 Dec 2018, 06:57

Zelandeth wrote:
19 Dec 2018, 18:00
I don't suppose your heating engineer covers central MK too do they?

I think he may although he's based in Newport and like Steve at the Two Wrestlers, he's always busy and in demand...

Have a natter with him or his other half...

I'll text you his details Zel...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Dec 2018, 07:10

This Christmas has been a real cracker :D Possibly one of the very best!

I've really over-indulged this year - on running and cycling 😂 I hosted a club bike ride on Christmas Day and had the obligatory cafe stop at my house where I'd laid on a small buffet of festive goodies...
xdmincepie.jpg
Own Work
My Christmas cake was ceremonially cut and sampled during the festivities and pronounced very good!
xdcakecut.jpg
Own Work
Before that, I enjoyed the traditional Christmas Day parkrun :)
xdparkrun.jpg
Own Work
My morning run today has now brought me up to 990 miles for the year... Just ten to go to hit my target now :)
990miles.jpg
Strava
Bike miles up to 8,503 at the time of writing this blog entry!

on Boxing Day I ran 10Km and then we took a club bike ride up to Salcey Forest which had the only cafe open in the area... Being it was such a lovely day it was positively rammed and we had to wait a good 20 minutes for our coffee and cake!

It was good when it finally arrived... I was very naughty and greedy and had two cakes! They were both most excellent :D
twocakessalcey2612.jpg
Own Work
To atone my cake guilt I rode a further 16 miles home as hard as I could and achieved a 18 mph average over a hilly 16 mile route :)

Off out on another bike ride shortly - in fact I have bike rides planned now until the end of the year :D

And finally, I received a very lovely bottle of non-alcoholic gin (Seedlip) and a cycling-themed calendar for Christmas - just what i wanted :D
girlsxmaspres.jpg
Own Work

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon » 27 Dec 2018, 08:05

Yes top quality there Jim.

Its totally refreshing seeing our next generation taking their first steps on the pedals after the balance bike. All brand new skills and no stabilisers! Introduce pedals.....silly things....bash the backs of your legs...in the first stages and they are either side of the bike.....push down on the right hand one and you have to compensate with your balance so the bike doesnt tip over to one side as you start off. Push down on the left side and and the bike leans the other way...until you get that balance compensation just right. Then you need a bit of speed, and you need to learn how to stop it without falling off.

Complicated business this cycling when you first start off!

Regards Neil

PS Here's a bonus pic. The caption reads

http://www.roadscapes.co.uk/gallery-23.html

"COUNTISBURY HILL: Leyland Octopus girder outfit from British Road Services depot at Scunthorpe being braked down Countisbury Hill, 1 in 4, on its way to Lynmouth, North Devon, to repair the damaged bridges after the Lynmouth Flood Disaster of 1952."
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 31 Dec 2018, 10:32, edited 4 times in total.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Dec 2018, 09:27

Oh yes, balance bikes are the way to go with the little 'uns :D Stabilisers just delay the inevitable skill of learning balance whereas a balance bike instils it from the word go...

Sian, my youngest, hardly used stabilisers... She watched me teaching Robyn to ride a bike without stabilisers when she was 5 and a half and Sian wanted to do the same... She did too... A few weeks before her third birthday!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Dec 2018, 09:33

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 08:05
PS Here's a bonus pic. The caption reads

"COUNTISBURY HILL: Leyland Octopus girder outfit from British Road Services depot at Scunthorpe being braked down Countisbury Hill, 1 in 4, on its way to Lynmouth, North Devon, to repair the damaged bridges after the Lynmouth Flood Disaster of 1952."

That is just gorgeous Neil :D Thanks ever so for that :D

I've been up and down that hill many times in my life... Next time I do it'll be on a bike ;)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Dec 2018, 09:35

I love the headlight 'eyebrows' on that Leyland Octopus 💛 They really knew how to style lorries in those days!

Michel

Post by Michel » 27 Dec 2018, 12:11

CitroJim wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 09:27
Oh yes, balance bikes are the way to go with the little 'uns :D Stabilisers just delay the inevitable skill of learning balance whereas a balance bike instils it from the word go...

Sian, my youngest, hardly used stabilisers... She watched me teaching Robyn to ride a bike without stabilisers when she was 5 and a half and Sian wanted to do the same... She did too... A few weeks before her third birthday!

I saved the expense of a balance bike by simply removing the pedals from Sam’s first bike. Took him to the park in Marlow which has a gentle grassy slope, he spent 30 mins freewheeling down it with no pedals and another 15 mins with 1 pedal on it. 15 mins later he was pedalling with 2 pedals. He was three years old.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 27 Dec 2018, 19:23

Well done Sam!, that's bloody marvellous :D Just shows you can't start teaching them too early... And that goes for many things as well as cycling...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 27 Dec 2018, 23:41

While you don't have a TV, Jim, you might still want to have a look at the following link;

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/trai ... the-world/

Some of the ideas in the early 20th century are incredible. Bugatti made trains for the French, while a former Zeppelin engineer came up with this;

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 28 Dec 2018, 00:20

of course elf & safety came later - after the accountants!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Dec 2018, 07:59

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 23:41
While you don't have a TV, Jim, you might still want to have a look at the following link;

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/trai ... the-world/

Thanks James! Very appreciated :-D