Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Post by CitroJim » 10 Nov 2018, 04:50

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
09 Nov 2018, 22:37
Jim, on the "Yesterday" channel (on Freeview, channel 19) there will be a new series of "Impossible Engineering" starting 20th November, and the first episode will be about the new sarcophagus for the Chernobyl reactor.

Thanks James, I'll look out for that one - if/when it appears on the web - always been interested in Chernobyl...

Indeed, I have no telly and not missing it one little bit :)

Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern » 13 Nov 2018, 20:42

CitroJim wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 07:45

All this cycling is taking a toll on my bike - it's needing a weekly service now... This year I'm currently on 7,200 miles and should comfortably exceed 8,000 miles before the year end... Aiming for 10,000 next year :)

[/img][/url]

I for one would be interested in details of your maintenance regime, also how long various components last such as chain & cassette and what "lube" (oil to you & me!) and degreaser you use. I had been using Muc Off dry lube, but when I properly cleaned the cassette (taken off and separated) I found it had etched the surface plating of each sprocket so I've just ordered some Finish Line wet Lube and fast degreaser, interested to see if it's any better.

I know this is a car forum, but should we have a cycle section somewhere or shall we continue to post bike stuff on your blog?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 14 Nov 2018, 07:26

Fake Concern wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 20:42
I for one would be interested in details of your maintenance regime, also how long various components last such as chain & cassette and what "lube" (oil to you & me!) and degreaser you use.

My regime is very simple Fake! I use brake and clutch cleaner for degreasing as it's the only stuff I'm not wildly allergic to... I wash down the cassette, jockey wheels and cage and chain with it and bow-dry with an airline... I strip the cassette about every ten rides and give it a deep clean..

This is after hosing down the bike from a hose with a variable spray rose on the end... Occasionally I use the pink Muc-Off stuff if the bike is really mucky but I don't like it much.. Plain water and a wipe down with a chamois works for me - followed by a blow-dry from the airline.

I then finish off by re-lubing the chain using mineral chain oil... 'Wet Lube' basically... I've tried a few so-called 'dry-lubes' and other carlos-fandango lubes and found them very wanting...

After every ride I wipe down the chain and other oily bits with a couple of baby-wipes, re-lube and carefully check the tyres for cuts and potential punctures... Every time before a ride I check tyres and pressures again. This has saved a few punctures in the past... Not that it matters as I carry two spare tubes and CO2 on every ride...

My lube regime sees chains and cassettes last a long time - I've not yet had to change one...

Baby wipes are bloody marvellous for giving the rest of a bike a good clean too! They degrease well... I do wonder what they do to a baby's bum though :lol:

Finally, I sometimes give the bike a spray of silicone stuff and polish with a microfibre cloth if I want to make it look pristine but not often as I'm a bit sensitive to it...

Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern » 14 Nov 2018, 21:27

CitroJim wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 07:26
Fake Concern wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 20:42
I for one would be interested in details of your maintenance regime, also how long various components last such as chain & cassette and what "lube" (oil to you & me!) and degreaser you use.

My regime is very simple Fake! I use brake and clutch cleaner for degreasing as it's the only stuff I'm not wildly allergic to... I wash down the cassette, jockey wheels and cage and chain with it and bow-dry with an airline... I strip the cassette about every ten rides and give it a deep clean..

This is after hosing down the bike from a hose with a variable spray rose on the end... Occasionally I use the pink Muc-Off stuff if the bike is really mucky but I don't like it much.. Plain water and a wipe down with a chamois works for me - followed by a blow-dry from the airline.

I then finish off by re-lubing the chain using mineral chain oil... 'Wet Lube' basically... I've tried a few so-called 'dry-lubes' and other carlos-fandango lubes and found them very wanting...

After every ride I wipe down the chain and other oily bits with a couple of baby-wipes, re-lube and carefully check the tyres for cuts and potential punctures... Every time before a ride I check tyres and pressures again. This has saved a few punctures in the past... Not that it matters as I carry two spare tubes and CO2 on every ride...

My lube regime sees chains and cassettes last a long time - I've not yet had to change one...

Baby wipes are bloody marvellous for giving the rest of a bike a good clean too! They degrease well... I do wonder what they do to a baby's bum though :lol:

Finally, I sometimes give the bike a spray of silicone stuff and polish with a microfibre cloth if I want to make it look pristine but not often as I'm a bit sensitive to it...

The baby wipes sound good (not sure about environmental impact) I use old rags to wipe the chain after every ride. Lately as the roads are mucky I've been hosing it like you do, but as I don't have an air line, I park it next a (central heating) radiator before it goes back in the garage.
I use one of those chain checker tools and change it (chain) before it will ruin the cassette, but i don't take the cassette to bits nearly as much as you do, probably twice a year. I'm still using my new bike despite the wet, muddy roads as I'm enjoying it so much and also the huge tyres (28mm, still not a fan really) mean I can plough through anything! I use car Ultimate quick detailer to clean & polish the frame and every now and then I use car wax to give it a good going over.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 14 Nov 2018, 23:17

Yesterday there was, on the BBC Breakfast, a lot about wet wipes (and especially about so called "flushable" wipes). The reporter had done an article on these "flushable" wipes a couple of years ago, and had placed such a wipe in a bottle of water at that time (where the bottle remained in her car). For yesterdays' article she (amongst other things) got that bottle out. That "flushable" wipe was almost completely intact.

One of the water companies said there was only one small company working to produce a flushable wipe that could pass the tests the water company needed for them to consider it to be flushable. NONE of the large companies were even trying to do this.

daviemck2006
Donor 2016

Post by daviemck2006 » 15 Nov 2018, 01:42

I use baby wipes for a lot of stuff. They are great at cleaning my oily hands after a bit of spannering, and good for removing any stray oily fingerprints. Then I watch Kerri cleaning my 4 month old grandsons bits with them and think poor baby getting his bits cleaned with that!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Nov 2018, 07:06

James, I dispose of mine responsibly... I've had to rod my drains far too many times due to neighbours flushing baby wipes down the bog :evil:

I'd use rags but I don't really collect them... My old clothes I dispose of responsibly at the local recycling centre and besides, lycra is rubbish for cleaning anything!!!
daviemck2006 wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 01:42
I use baby wipes for a lot of stuff. They are great at cleaning my oily hands after a bit of spannering, and good for removing any stray oily fingerprints.

Yes, they're bloody magical for removing oily stains of all sorts from many surfaces and I find them excellent for removing the cyclist's trademark 'chainring tattoos' from ones's shins...
chainringtat.jpg
HaveFunBiking.com
These occur when one's shins brush against the front chainring and a lovely oily print is left behind :)
daviemck2006 wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 01:42
Then I watch Kerri cleaning my 4 month old grandsons bits with them and think poor baby getting his bits cleaned with that!
Makes him tough Davie!!! If he ever grows up to be a runner and a cyclist he'll be already well prepared and conditioned in that area ;) :lol:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 15 Nov 2018, 10:19

Jim, I have NO doubt whatsoever that YOU would dispose of such wipes in a properly responsible fashion, but how many of us would believe the packaging when it said "Flushable Wipes"?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 15 Nov 2018, 18:08

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 10:19
Jim, I have NO doubt whatsoever that YOU would dispose of such wipes in a properly responsible fashion, but how many of us would believe the packaging when it said "Flushable Wipes"?

Yes, a very good point well made James...

bobins
Donor 2016

Post by bobins » 15 Nov 2018, 20:26

'Costing The Earth' on Radio 4 this week covered wet wipes in great detail. The term 'flushable wipes' only really refers to the fact that they'll go 'round the U-bend :roll:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/m00013qz

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 26 Nov 2018, 06:35

I'm still about :) Nothing much to report really... This past week I've been rather ill with a touch of the usual... In fact the worst I've been in years... I was really hit hard...

Anyway, all better now and more or less back to normal...

You could tell I was really sick - I neither ran nor cycled for a whole seven days :evil:

By the end I was really going stir-crazy and suffering cabin fever... I started running and cycling again just as soon as I possibly could... I badly needed to feed my addiction...

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 27 Nov 2018, 22:34

Good toknow you're on the road to recovery.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 28 Nov 2018, 06:48

van ordinaire wrote:
27 Nov 2018, 22:34
Good toknow you're on the road to recovery.

Oh yes :D I've just run 6.5 miles to give my new running shoes a road test...
brooksglycerin15.jpg
Own Work
Their wet weather performance and cornering abilities are impressive :)

Mind you for £140, they should be quite excellent and happily they are... The only problem is that in 350 miles I'll need to replace them and at the rate I pile on the miles that'll not be too long in the future...

van ordinaire
donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire » 29 Nov 2018, 01:51

You need to find a sports shop that does BO(pair)GOF promos.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 29 Nov 2018, 07:00

van ordinaire wrote:
29 Nov 2018, 01:51
You need to find a sports shop that does BO(pair)GOF promos.

Some do specials whereby you buy a pair of road running shoes and get a free pair of trail running shoes as part of the deal...

I don't trail run so they'd be a waste. I do, however, get a substantial discount for being a member of a running club :)

Those new shoes took me astray again this morning - over 7 miles astray :lol:

Still, all good training for this event on the 9th December :D
mkwh2018.jpg
Own Work