Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Unread post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote:
27 Oct 2018, 18:43
Martin provided the transport to Turweston Aerodrome for me today - in his 07 plate Passat estate...

I always notice and enjoy an intriguing name and was compelled to look up "Turweston Aerodrome" see if there was something interesting about it.

The word "Aerodrome" in itself conjures up a bit of nostalgia. Turns out it was a bit of a training establishment in its wartime and RAF days. Has one of the few under 17 Driver training facilities now, but possibly only for the well heeled! Nice aerial pic though.

https://www.drivingambitionbrackley.inf ... 17driving/

I was lucky enough to get quite a bit of off-road driving experience in my teenage years and didn't have to pay £59/hour just the occasional visit to the ESSO station to get the odd can of petrol!

Regards Neil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Unread post by CitroJim »

Interesting stuff on Turweston Neil :) I noticed a lot of light aircraft there but to be honest, not much else... Too intent on on our riding!

I believe they have a good cafe there too... Not that we saw it or sampled it yesterday... Maybe another visit is in order to correctly appraise the establishment!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Just been out for an early morning run :) Nothing unusual there - I run nearly every morning between 04:30 and 5:00...

Today I dressed in full winter running gear and then regretted it when I'd run about a K... I was hot... By the end of 5K I was positively roasting :twisted:

Compared to yesterday it's positively tropical out there today :D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

A friend in the cycling community is busy making me a mug....

This is the design :)
Steve Palmer
Steve Palmer
Sums me up perfectly :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

STOP PRESS: I've just been informed the wording on the design has been changed to 'Feed Jim Cake' :lol:

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
Donor 2018

Unread post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

CitroJim wrote:
24 Oct 2018, 05:53
I may get worse over time and I'm now under monitoring with an MRI Scan to come soon...

Just in case it does get worse, and I feel it may well do as it certainly has over the last two years, I will continue to live every day to the full, only even more so

I have no intention of wasting even a minute from now on
Good on ya Jim. I'm reminded of Louise Arthur, one-time online Blogger, many years ago, and author of "Shadow in Tiger Country".
Her diagnosis was as serious as it gets but she had an equally positive approach to your own and wrote some seriously uplifting stuff. Do seek it out if you ever find yourself needing a boost; its quite an inspiration, despite the fact that the way her story would end (unlike yours) was never in doubt.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Thanks Puxa :D I will search out Louise - she and I would appear to have the same sort of attitude...

I read a book a while ago about an ex-soldier who developed early-onset Alzheimer's at 35 and decided to cycle around the world whilst he still could... Inspirational!

KennyW
Donor 2020

Unread post by KennyW »

Jim,

Nice to know your still up and running!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenny

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

KennyW wrote:
29 Oct 2018, 22:37
Jim,

Nice to know your still up and running!!!!!!!!!!!

Kenny

Likewise Kenny :D

I trust you're well?

KennyW
Donor 2020

Unread post by KennyW »

Jim,

Thanks for the kind thoughts, occasionally I get the chance to go out on my bike. Not enough time to put the miles in.
Currently have a couple of projects on the go, plus the C5 is needing some maintenance work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So plenty to keep me going.

Kenny

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Life goes on rather well, lots of running, although that's temporarily off the menu as I did a silly then other morning and twisted my ankle on a kerb close to home - a kerb I run over every morning :twisted: :evil:

It doesn't stop me cycling though... I'm taking great advantage of the continuing fine weather - the amount of cyclists out on Sunday was legendary :D

Yesterday we cycled out to an absolute treasure of a place :D It was a long ride but well worth it... The destination was Ashpoles Tearooms in the village of Sharnbrook somewhat north of Bedford just off the A6...

The place is simply a time-warp from the early 50s or even earlier... The only modern thing - that looks totally incongruous - is the till and card reader for electronic payments! Even the wireless is vintage and the clock is from Clapham Common railway station!

Tea is made with loose tea, served in proper teapots with knitted teacosies :D

With that lot I was in heaven :-D

When you visit it feels more like you're visiting family for high tea on a Sunday afternoon... Truly, it's just lovely :D

Here's a few photos of the place:
BCG Facebook
BCG Facebook
BCG Facebook
BCG Facebook
BCG Facebook
BCG Facebook
BCG Facebook
BCG Facebook
The welcome is incredibly warm and the food is truly delicious... If you ever find yourselves near Sharnbrook dive off the A6 and pay the tearooms a visit...

I mentioned the clock... Sadly it does not work and that infuriates me :twisted: I've promised the tearoom owner I'll revisit and see if I can fix it...

All this cycling is taking a toll on my bike - it's needing a weekly service now... This year I'm currently on 7,200 miles and should comfortably exceed 8,000 miles before the year end... Aiming for 10,000 next year :)

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Unread post by Stickyfinger »

Nice looking place Jim

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Unread post by Gibbo2286 »

Your story about the ex soldier Jim reminded me of an Australian chap who developed arthritis and decided to 'walk it off' he set off with his dog and a wheeled trolley thing to walk the entire coastline of Oz.

He completed the trip and, interviewed by a reporter, said he felt fit and well but was now frightened to stop in case it all came back.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Unread post by RichardW »

Jim

You should visit the tea room at Sibsey Mill (https://www.sibseytraderwindmill.co.uk/country-tearoom/) which has a fine tea room, with an amazing selection of clocks - only about 100 miles from you, should be a gentle day out :lol: . I had to Video this one for the boys, I thought it was a real jem!!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

RichardW wrote:
07 Nov 2018, 13:20
Jim

You should visit the tea room at Sibsey Mill (https://www.sibseytraderwindmill.co.uk/country-tearoom/) which has a fine tea room, with an amazing selection of clocks

Excellent!!! That's on the list Richard :)

Funnily enough I was looking at potential rides out that way just yesterday - a great destination and with all those clocks I'd be in heaven :D