Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 19 Oct 2018, 15:42

Well, I am sure Jim could succeed where Henry Ford failed;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordlândia

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Oct 2018, 16:26

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 15:42
Well, I am sure Jim could succeed where Henry Ford failed;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordlândia

This is what I so love about this forum - awesomely interesting stuff like this :D Thank James... Never knew any of that...
NewcastleFalcon wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 15:34
With Black Chilli Compound? You could always grow your own :-D
Ahh, so that's what makes those tyres so awesome :) As a chilli lover I'd love to try those... Hope they don't taste rubbery though :lol:

I'll have much to say about those new tyres in a later post ;) First, I have a bit more bike fettling to do :)

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 19 Oct 2018, 16:28

There is a program on Yesterday called "Abandoned Engineering". Fordlandia turned up recently in one episode.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 19 Oct 2018, 18:55

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 16:28
There is a program on Yesterday called "Abandoned Engineering". Fordlandia turned up recently in one episode.

Abandoned Engineering immediately makes me think of all the tragically disused railways in the UK and the engineering, both civil and mechanical, that was lost as a result :evil:

I believe BBC Channel 5 or whatever have been running a series on some disused railways... Not seen it as I have no telly but tonight they are, according to some Facebook groups I follow, covering a disused railway close to my heart - the Somerset and Dorset... I'm sure Facebook will tell me what went on...

I put the new tyres on my bike this morning and rather than brave the cold workshop I did it in the lounge... Bad decision... Warm and comfy yes, but I did not take into account the mucky water inside the old tyres :twisted: Cue a need to carry out some emergency shampooing of the lounge carpet :lol:

It was worth doing as the transformation with the new tyres is like night and day... The GP4000s are light, comfy and have very low rolling resistance - the exact opposite of the old Gatorskins I had on previously... The Gatorskins have good puncture resistance but are sods to get on and off the rims if they do puncture... The GP4000s have some resistance but against that they are easy to get on and off. I'd rather have high performance tyres and have to tolerate a few punctures than suffer the horrors of Gatorskins

The work I did on the derailleur hanger was a complete success and my gears are now as slick as can be - In fact the bike is a real pleasure to ride now except for one thing. The freehub is very noisy and rough...

This afternoon I tried to strip it but it's a sealed unit... I did manage to get some lube into it and it seems better now... The real test will be on Sunday on a 100 mile club ride!!! I fear I'll have to replace it eventually though...

Today's club ride was to the OSO in Cranfield... There I enjoyed the most sublime mango cheesecake - it was positively delicious :D
osocheesecake.jpg
Own Work but baked by the OSO Cafe!
We started the ride in cold thick fog but it soon burned off and turned out a truly gorgeous morning - if perhaps just a little on the cool side...

It was freezing (yes, a frost) when I went running at 04:30 this morning...

I'll be at parkrun in the morning and then spending the afternoon with my youngest daughter... That'll be lovely as I've not seen her for a few weeks...

Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern » 19 Oct 2018, 19:55

Nice to see you back Jim!
I'm finding your bike posts very interesting as since I've retired I have been upping my cycling mileage back to my commuting levels and doing at least 100 miles a week (I see you are much higher than that, but I'm still married and need to give time to keeping that healthy!).
I recently bought myself a retirement present of a new full carbon bike which I love. I have had a couple of issues with it though...
1) The gears have been a menace as the rear one has been hard to keep the indexing working, I think the cable has been stretching quicker than I can adjust it) and the front one keeps chucking the chain off on upchanges a couple of times each ride annoyingly scratching the chainset which is black! I can't see any thing wrong with the adjustment on it.
2) The shop suggested that 28mm tyres would be a good upgrade so i went with Pirelli All Season tyres 28mm. Previously I've had 23mm Vitoria and the Gatorskins you dislike (I think it depends what rim you have as I had no problem getting them on). Anyway I suddenly noticed I was taking two 23mm inner tubes with me for 28mm tyres (doh!) so bought the correct tubes & promptly had a puncture! However I also noticed the extra bulk and weight of the larger tubes (I carry them in my jersey back pockets) and also it feels like they hold me back on the hills. Now I wonder if I should have gone for 25mm tyres like you. I should add that despite what it "feels" like, Strava tells me that the new bike with massive tyres is faster on all segments!

In a week or so I will take the bike in so I can have the free service, free bike fit and have the steerer cut to length so hopefully the gear issues will be resolved if not the huge balloon tyres!

Glad you are enjoying life in the retired lane as I am!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 20 Oct 2018, 07:00

Fake Concern wrote:
19 Oct 2018, 19:55
Glad you are enjoying life in the retired lane as I am!

Oh yes!!! The financial hit is worth every penny :)

Excellent on the bike and miles Fake :D Yes, I can top 300 some weeks!

Your gear indexing... The cable shouldn't really keep stretching like that... I had a similar problem once and it was because the cable outer was not properly anchored at one end where it went into the frame and moved about a bit... I find setting up the indexing is very critical and more of an art!!!

But once achieved it's lovely :)

A derailleur slightly out of adjustment irritates the heck out of me... But a perfectly adjusted one really gives me great satisfaction... I find once good, both my Dura-Ace and Ultegra groupsets stay in adjustment for months on end...

The chain being thrown off by the front mech. may be down to incorrectly adjusted limit screws and/or cable adjustment... Loosen the cable right off and set the limit screws and then reset the cable so that it changes cleanly but no more...

I have a good document on setting them up and could send you a copy if it might be useful?

28mm tyres are the way to go it seems... Counter-intuitive it seems but all say the same as you... I'm limited to 25mm tyres by my frames and caliper brakes...

So what nice new bike did you get then? And what spec.?

Gibbo2286

Post by Gibbo2286 » 20 Oct 2018, 10:09

I could never get on with derailleur gears, always had Sturmey Archer four speed wide ratio...…………………...but that was a long time ago.

I see they're still made in the USA, Europe and China but never see them offered here.

http://sturmey-archer.com/

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 20 Oct 2018, 17:40

Gibbo2286 wrote:
20 Oct 2018, 10:09
I could never get on with derailleur gears, always had Sturmey Archer four speed wide ratio...…………………...but that was a long time ago.

I see they're still made in the USA, Europe and China but never see them offered here.

http://sturmey-archer.com/

That, I think is because Shimano have the market well covered here with their 7 and 8 speed versions such as the Alfine...

They offer a belt-drive version too - no maintenance and clean - no messy chain oil!

Fake, one thing I meant to say earlier - never trust your LBS (Local Bike Shop) to set up your derailleurs. They have neither the time, patience or skill in many cases to do it at all properly...

Today has been truly great :) I enjoyed a brilliant parkrun and I actually drove Sian's Pixo there and back! First time I've driven in three weeks and the last outing was to parkrun! I then drove to the station to pick up Sian. We spent a great lunchtime together and now she's run off with the Pixo for the weekend :lol: Not that I need it for another week at least :)

I am now determined to try and slowly up my driving and see if, with care, I can get a bit happier and content behind the wheel. Today was not too bad but as soon as I got to the station i was very happy to hand the keys over to Sian... It's a good start though :)

Then I spent some very good quality time with a visitor in the form of James (Hellrazor) :D James, it was absolutely wonderful to see you, a real pleasure even though I was/am still busy getting ready for my 100 mile bike ride tomorrow :)

Had an odd thing happen late last evening... I went out to the bins, walked past my Saxo and noticed an unopened pack of digestive biscuits resting on the rear wiper :o I have no idea why or how and nobody as so far claimed responsibility... I'm totally baffled by it :lol:

This is how I found them...
biscuitsonsaxo.jpg
Own Work
This photo is staged - as James will attest to - as it was too dark last evening to get a good shot...

I don't eat them so if they go unclaimed I'll use them to make a cheesecake base :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 20 Oct 2018, 18:55

The mystery of 'Biscuitgate' has now been solved and the culprit revealed...

I'm saying no more at this stage...

Except that he's known in these parts...

Totally gutted I missed a flying visit from him yesterday :cry:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 20 Oct 2018, 19:57

Here is a link to "Abandoned Engineering", if you are interested, Jim;

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/aban ... gineering/

With a link to "Impossible Engineering";

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/impo ... gineering/

while the film we discussed was "They Shall Not Grow Old" (second one on the following link);

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 24 Oct 2018, 07:45, edited 3 times in total.

Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern » 20 Oct 2018, 20:38

Jim thanks for the gear set up advice. I’d already looked at most of what you suggest and not found anything. The rear mech seems to have sorted out now and I think you may have had the answer, I think an outer cable had got caught up and was letting go every now and then. The front one is more of a mystery as the stops, angle, cable and distance from the chainring all look perfect to me. Also it only does it two or three times in a ride. I would be interested in your set up guide if you should happen to PM it to me!
So the bike is a Bianchi Infinito, which is the top endurance racing frame in the line up used by Lotto Jumbo in the cobbles of the major tours. It is meant to be (& is) really comfortable and good at cancelling out road vibrations. It has a strange spec as apparently Bianchi UK sold out of the lower range Intenso bikes early in 2018 so specced the Infinito frame in a similar way to give them a bike in that (lower) price bracket. It is Campagnolo Potenza mix, so had Potenza gear mechs, cassette, chain brakes & levers with FSA Gossamer chainset & BB. Seat post, stem & bars are Bianchi’s own Reparto Corsa aluminium and a Selle San Marco saddle. Some pretty poor Fulcrum wheels and Vittoria Rubino tyres finished off the kit.
I had the shop upgrade the wheels to a more appropriate Campagnolo Zonda with the previously mentioned Pirelli P Zero Velo All Season 28mm (what a mouthful!) tyres and had decent Shimano SPD pedals fitted (I have SPD on all my bikes except the Brompton). The price in the end was a fair bit less than price of a bare Infinito frame set so I was very pleased.
Having spoken to several people including you about disc brakes, I decided I could do without even if they are the future! Mostly I will be only using the bike in the dry and anyway modern rim brakes are so good I can’t see what discs could offer apart from the ability to lock the wheels momentarily sooner!
So it does ride really well and even though it’s meant to be a best bike I’ve already ridden it through a flood of sea water several inches deep and a huge muddy puddle about 50 feet long outside a building site!
Glad to hear you are driving and getting on well with it and also (as my daughter told me I am) living retirement to the max!

To reply to Gibbo, I love derailleur gears despite an engineer telling me it’s not amazing that they work so well, rather it’s amazing they work at all! I had Sturmey Archer gears on my Brompton, but by that time they only made a 3 speed version so Brompton fitted a two speed derailleur to make it a six speed bike. (By the way my youngest daughter has one of those rings through the septum of her nose and, yes I hate it!)

TLDR: here's my new bike...
42956453_145875536365669_3857941256801878016_n.jpg

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 21 Oct 2018, 05:04

Wow! That's a truly lovely bike Fake :) The very stuff of dreams there and I just love the Bianchi blue :D I know it has a special name but it escapes me right now...

Odd about the chain coming off... I've had it happen only once so far... Maybe lucky but yes, spot-on about it's amazing derailleurs work at all! The front one is the hardest worked of all and the most difficult to set up well... When you see what it has to do it is quite a feat of engineering...

So too are the 11 and 12-speed rears... The tolerances are so tight now and it's little wonder a high-end groupset costs thousands of pounds...

More on 'Biscuitgate'...

The perpetrator even left a selfie at the scene :lol:
biscuitgate.jpg
Work of a guiltily party
Anyone recognise him?

I'll not be about today.. Off cycling with my club to this location :)

https://www.cafe-ventoux.cc/

That's a good 100 mile ride and it looks like the weather will be kind to us...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 21 Oct 2018, 08:58

HobNobbed by a Walrus !

Normally they leave Sardines

Paul-R

Post by Paul-R » 21 Oct 2018, 11:55

CitroJim wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 05:04
https://www.cafe-ventoux.cc/
If I walk down the garden where I am in France ATM I can see the real Mont Ventoux.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren » 21 Oct 2018, 12:07

Jimmy Edwards :)