Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Skoda, Saxo and Bike Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

Delighted to have completed the Milton Keynes Winter Half Marathon today in a very fair time of just a shade over two hours... Not bad considering this time last week I could barely walk due to a knee problem :)

This was the run as captured by my Garmin:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/2505693567

And this was me at the end of the run... Happily knackered :D
Own Work
Own Work
The reason it says 2017 on the teeshirt is the run was postponed from December 10th because of deep snow... No such problems today; the sun shone on us and if anything we all ended up a bit over-dressed for the occasion... I know I was..

I put my success firmly down to some excellent physio I received in the week and maybe perhaps to this stuff:
Own Work
Own Work
The human equivalent of gaffer tape :lol: It's called Kinesiology tape and is reassuringly expensive...

The contents of the mug helped my recovery no end too; a Soya latte :D

Next week I have my first cycle sportive of 2018 - a 50-odd mile jaunt around Cambridgeshire starting and ending at Peterborough... Looking forward to that one immensely :)

NewcastleFalcon

Unread post by NewcastleFalcon »

I could almost understand the elation at completing the park run after your dodgy knee problem, but following it up the next day pounding 13 Miles 192 and a half yards on tarmac for 2 hours..and managing a decent selfie at the end . Well that’s worth a David Coleman_esque Extraordinary..... :)

Regards Neil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 17:40
Well that’s worth a David Coleman_esque Extraordinary..... :)

Thanks Neil :D Loved the video clip! I love Kryten - very definitely my very favourite Red Dwarf character :)

Perhaps I shouln't let on that in addition to running I cycled a good few miles to and from the run venue as I couldn't be bothered to face the aggro of driving there, fighting for a parking space and then paying a lot of money for same :twisted:

Instead I spent a bit on a celebratory latte at the end of the run and as a special treat one made of full-strength caffeinated coffee and full-fat milk!

I seem to have survived it :D

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

The other forum I am a member of has the ability to somehow have several pictures as a slideshow for the Avatar. Jim, I think (with the rate you are updating it) you need to see if that would be viable for your Avatar here. The post by Para Handy is an example of such (and that of Patrick_68000 is an even better one);

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... nding-pads!

Well done, by the way. If I had joined in you would have found me in a collapsed heap steaming about 1/2 mile in!

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Unread post by Zelandeth »

Well done Jim!

Hoping I can get back to being productive tomorrow - my own health gremlins have meant I've been pretty much useless today practically.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 19:49
The other forum I am a member of has the ability to somehow have several pictures as a slideshow for the Avatar.
James, that's neat :) I like it! Mind you, I won't be changing my Avatar now for a while... Promise ;)
Hell Razor5543 wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 19:49
f I had joined in you would have found me in a collapsed heap steaming about 1/2 mile in!

Nah, If I can, anyone can run a half James... It just a case of practice and training - that's all... Give yourself a year of training and weekly parkruns and you'd be faster than me ;)

Zelandeth wrote:
18 Feb 2018, 21:13
Hoping I can get back to being productive tomorrow - my own health gremlins have meant I've been pretty much useless today practically.
Zel, very much hoping so... [-o<

And that all those gremlins make themselves scarce for a some good time very soon...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Serviced the bikes today and got my special sportive bike prepared for the first big event of the season on Saturday...

It's going to be a cold one!

My daily rider bike needed new rear brake pads... I get through more brake pads on my bikes than I ever do in my cars!!! That must say something...
Own Work
Own Work
Checked over the cars... All fine but sally needed spanners applied to her... Nothing serious... The alternator belt needed to be tightened a little to cure a squeal on first start-up in the cold...

Apart from that, no problems...

I went out for a lovely ride on my sportive bike to test it, along with my sportive-specific kit... None of it has been out since late 2017...

It was great despite the biting east wind...

I then went for a run to round off what's been an excellent day and spotted this first definite sign of spring :)
Own Work
Own Work
Fairly filled me with joy and happiness :)

So did the run... Especially now my knee and IT band are almost perfect again :)

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

The mention of belts reminds me, I really need to deal with the squeaky belt on the Activa. It's not got any worse since I first picked the car up, but would still like to get it sorted at some point before it *does* get any worse.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

I'd replace the belt Zel as I never replaced it in all my years of ownership so it must be due now!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Brilliant day today :D Took part in the No Excuses Cambridgeshire Sportive on my bike...

The weather was gorgeous, if not a little nippy and the scenery on the course was awesomely beautiful, as were all the villages and small towns we rode through... Oundle especially...

I was delighted with my ride... 51 miles in 3 hours and 22 minutes - an average speed of 15.4mph and given a good deal of the route was subject to a biting east wind that was not bad at all...

I was as warm as toast wearing some five layers on my torso, thermal tights, two pairs of merino socks, a buff, a thermal skull cap and more happily I had warm fingers for the first time ever... I have finally found the secret :)

The secret is a pair of silk gloves on first, then a pair of thin running gloves and then a pair of Decathlon's finest ski mitts...

It works! =D>

I'm one very, very happy person today :D

Got this when I crossed the finish line :D Another to add to the growing collection!
Own Work
Own Work

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Well done that Jim.

Would have been a good day for it today I'd think.

Really need to sort the puncture on the C5, been too long since I had it out - though the AC having nicked the battery this last few weeks hasn't helped!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Zel, when you have the C5 back on the road I'll come for a ride (drive?) with you on my hybrid :)

Maybe we could do the Millennium Circular with Mike?

Michel

Unread post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote:
25 Feb 2018, 05:41
Zel, when you have the C5 back on the road I'll come for a ride (drive?) with you on my hybrid :)

Maybe we could do the Millennium Circular with Mike?

That sounds like a great idea!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Excellent :) Looking forward to it :D

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Only problem with that if that I'd hope you lot up!

The lack of any form of gears (and legality of electrically assisted cycles) means that 15mph is about the best you can expect out of it (unless going downhill where bravery or stupidity are the only limits) or if you've got a mental husky attached.

It's great for popping round the shops, but isn't built for speed. This is one reason I really want to get the old Carlton road bike back in working order at some point - so I'm not the slowest cyclist in the family by a country mile!