Citrojim's Pixo, Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Ka, Skoda, Saxo and Bike Tales

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jan 2018, 06:53

With most grateful thanks and appreciation to Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur I am now in possession of a replacement Throttle Body for my Saxo :D

Most excellent service and once again this very fine forum has come up trumps :D

I now just wait for both my health and the weather to improve sufficiently to allow me to fit it!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jan 2018, 17:54

You will all be relieved to know this post is all about a Citroen and does not mention any adventures with a certain Dagenham Dustbin...

Had a look at the Saxo throttle body today, particularly with regard to the throttle pot... I plan to try swapping the pots initially as swapping the whole body is quite a task... Whereas the swap of the pot itself should be easy (ier)...

This is the device in question:
SaxoTTBTP2.jpg
Own Work
Sharp eyes may note it's attached to the body with Security (tamper-proof) Torx screws...

I wondered why and I also wondered why the BoL is so insistent that the pot is not touched...

Now I know! The pot is adjustable and under each securing screw are slots to allow for rotational adjustment...

Also, one screw was incredibly tight... So much so it sheared it in my carelessness :evil: I'm hoping it was corrosion rather than loctite...

Once off, this is what the inside looks like:
SaxoTTBTP1.jpg
Own Work
Quite a piece of work! This one had some contamination visible so I'm hoping I can pop the one on Sally apart, clean it up, reassemble and all will be good...

Before I do so - and as I've done with the spare - is to draw a mark on the body so the pot can go back exactly where it was originally...

Also, I'll use the ELIT to make a note of the throttle butterfly angle at idle so that I can check and reset if necessary...

It's now clear why Bosch don't want you in there and why the BoL is so strident in its warning!

And finally, no way I could not mention the Dagenham Dustbin :lol: I now have a set of new front brake flexi hoses and those, with any luck now, should be all she needs for an MoT...

Unless the MoT tester feels she needs to have a close encounter with a MiG... If she does she will as I love her too much to scrap her and as said, the rest of her is in too good a condition...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 17 Jan 2018, 18:29

If you need a MiG welder it could be worth taking a look at Lidl, They had (in amongst the other bits) a MiG welder (I saw one in Lidl today, but I forget what the price is).

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jan 2018, 18:34

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 18:29
If you need a MiG welder it could be worth taking a look at Lidl, They had (in amongst the other bits) a MiG welder (I saw one in Lidl today, but I forget what the price is).

Thanks James, that's much appreciated :) I shall take a look as I'll be needing to do some shopping tomorrow...

As I intend to keep the Ka and welding is a fact of life with them I guess I ought to learn the art :wink:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 17 Jan 2018, 18:39

Erm, it looks like I may be wrong. I just checked, and it is a Flux Cored wire welder. I don't know if it is suitable, but here is the link;

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... cleId=9615

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jan 2018, 18:44

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 18:39
Erm, it looks like I may be wrong. I just checked, and it is a Flux Cored wire welder. I don't know if it is suitable, but here is the link;

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offe ... cleId=9615

That's a gasless one... They don't do such a neat job as I understand James but they're good for outdoor work as there's no gas shield to get blown away and no need to buy gas cylinders... That's big advantages for me...

price is good too :)

If our local Lidl have one tomorrow morning I'll be very tempted to pop one in my trolley...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 » 17 Jan 2018, 18:47

OK, so still worth knowing about. I saw one in the Newbury Lidl.

bobins
Donor 2016

Post by bobins » 17 Jan 2018, 18:57

I use gasless wire for my welding - it does a great job and it's just not worth me getting a cylinder for the occasional welding I do. The main thing is to buy very good quality gasless wire.

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 17 Jan 2018, 19:00

You're always more than welcome to try out the welder I've got here. I'll be having to get a lot more familiar with it shortly with the floor to sort on the incoming project. Sure there's potential for some mutual learning with regards to metalwork there.

If you do pick a welder up though, for fluff sake, also get an auto-dimming facemask. £30 odd from Toolstation, and I seriously don't know why it took me 10+ years to get one...Without a doubt the single thing (aside from having the welder set up right!) that makes it easier.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 17 Jan 2018, 19:20

Zelandeth wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 19:00
You're always more than welcome to try out the welder I've got here. I'll be having to get a lot more familiar with it shortly with the floor to sort on the incoming project. Sure there's potential for some mutual learning with regards to metalwork there.
Most definitely so Zel :) Is yours a gas or gasless one?

Practice for us both is the key... I have plenty of practice material here... I've been keeping a few old Xantia wings for such occasions... Not sure how it would go down if I welded a bit of Xantia into a Ka though :twisted: :lol:

EDIT: My Ka can be a bit of practice material too :lol:
Zelandeth wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 19:00
If you do pick a welder up though, for fluff sake, also get an auto-dimming facemask. £30 odd from Toolstation, and I seriously don't know why it took me 10+ years to get one...Without a doubt the single thing (aside from having the welder set up right!) that makes it easier.

I've already got one of those from my last foray into a bit of MiG... They are seriously good... Not good enough to use with my arc welder though... The light from those is far more intense than from a MiG...

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger » 17 Jan 2018, 19:48

Agree on the FaceMask 100%

You could try my Stick Welder Jim ....I will also have James's MIG welder/kit down here when you come to visit next.

Welding on your back under a car is always crap, maybe book a weekend and use my ramps to save your testicles from the guaranteed dollop's of red-hot metal :)

bobins
Donor 2016

Post by bobins » 17 Jan 2018, 20:01

Stickyfinger wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 19:48

Welding on your back under a car is always crap, maybe book a weekend and use my ramps to save your testicles from the guaranteed dollop's of red-hot metal :)

Could be worse, I've heard of weld spatter going down someone's earhole :shock: [-X :cry:

lexi
donor 2017

Post by lexi » 17 Jan 2018, 20:05

My Jackson helmet is fine for Mig and Arc. It struggles with Tig though, which is brighter again. A helmet to do them all starts about £60 I think. Hard to say how good (or bad) the Lidl welder will be. It might do a job for you, but always easier learning on a better machine, rather than the frustrations of poor wire feeds etc. The Clark mig is still about the best for the money, say a 150amp...........vat free voucher maybe?.
I gave up my Boc and Air Products account. I have the Hobbygas deal which is fine for likes of us. I use stick as much as I can, so the bottle of Hobby gas Argon from SGS? does me about 3 years. It's a one off deposit £70? and about £40 to fill the bottle.
Yes welding under cars is character building, but no worse that some of the mechanical shenanigans you guys already get up to :lol:

Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth » 17 Jan 2018, 21:44

It's a good old fashioned (80s or early 90s I believe) MIG. I generally do small enough bits of work that just the little disposable gas bottles work for me.

I believe that usually if using gasless wire the polarities are switched so the workpiece becomes live with relation to the torch so that the natural "pitting/piling" action is helping rather than hindering you. Don't quote me on that though.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim » 18 Jan 2018, 06:45

Stickyfinger wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 19:48
You could try my Stick Welder Jim ....I will also have James's MIG welder/kit down here when you come to visit next.

Now that's a good thought indeed Alasdair :)

I've had red-hot dollops of metal on various parts of my anatomy in the past and yes, it's not fun :twisted: :lol:

But, it's the Ka that might need welding - I was under the impression I'm banned from bringing it within 50 miles of your place :lol: :lol:
lexi wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 20:05
Yes welding under cars is character building, but no worse that some of the mechanical shenanigans you guys already get up to :lol:
Indeed, quite :roll:
Zelandeth wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 21:44
I believe that usually if using gasless wire the polarities are switched so the workpiece becomes live with relation to the torch so that the natural "pitting/piling" action is helping rather than hindering you. Don't quote me on that though.
That makes logical sense Zel... Worth a bit of research I reckon...

What precautions do you need to take with automotive electronics when welding? Just disconnect the battery or disconnect and earth both positive and negative leads to the body?