Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by myglaren »

elma wrote:Vintage rules, I am younger than most vintage stuff but I'd rather buy an old clock or barometer than a modern one. Old stuff lasts and usually has quite amazing mechanics. Modern stuff lacks these charms. Thats why I'm off to the boot sale in 10 mins and also the Antiques fair tomorrow although the antiques fair is purely to observe.
I used to threaten my laptop with replacement by typewriter when I was a student because I got so fed up of software issues that often manifested about a day before a hand in.

My daughter had a similar problem, the night before she was to hand in her dissertation - about ten pm as we were printing it!

That turned into a very frantic effort to get it done (three copies) bound and delivered.
She was five minutes before the deadline :yikes:
Very long story.

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

Worldwide cyber attack yesterday affecting Windows systems. Microsoft you have so much to answer for.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Citrojim's Activa, 1.9TD, 207 and Bike Tales

Post by mickeymoon »

demag wrote:Worldwide cyber attack yesterday affecting Windows systems. Microsoft you have so much to answer for.

I disagree.

Companies and corporations not updating their systems as they should, and not using OSes that are still supported and updated by the manufacturer are to blame.

We have a *very* strict compliance and patching regime at work. We have 2800 Windows based servers and we don't get these problems.

I hear the NHS are still using some Windows 2000 servers and many XP desktops. These went out of support *aeons* ago. I've no sympathy and they deserve every criticism they get.

Malware, viruses, hacking has been around for many, many years. Any IT manager worth his title should know this and ensure the systems are protected.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote:Any IT manager worth his title should know this and ensure the systems are protected.

Indeed yes but I fear the NHS may suffer from treacle-like IT bureaucracy that may make the best laid plans to keep systems clean, tidy, current and patched across the whole estate futile...

Their RFC procedures may put so many obstacles in the way that by the time even an emergency RFC has been approved to apply patches the threat has already turned into an attack...

Act outside the RFC process and your bollocks will be on the block even if what was done was for the best of reasons and disaster averted...

That's how it is in big institutions, sadly... ITIL has a lot to answer for here, along with the countless layers of managers upon managers, all who seem to think they know best...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I got one of those popups a couple of years ago - just ignored it and it went away :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

And Nissan a couple of miles from me, has also been got!

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

They should use Linux! :-)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:I got one of those popups a couple of years ago - just ignored it and it went away :)

They're no worries to those of us who use Linux...

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

True Jim and also only a twenty minute job to reinstall is the worst did happen.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:True Jim and also only a twenty minute job to reinstall is the worst did happen.

Yes, that's another thing I so love about Ubuntu - just how quickly it installs :D

I fitted a proper mount to my best bike today to hold my Garmin GPS computer...
Own Work
Own Work
It makes reading the device on the move and at speed so much easier and it holds it a lot more securely too... Not cheap - it's a lovely piece of engineering made from a billet of light alloy - but worth every penny...

After running 10K today and riding 25 miles I reckon I've now earned a relatively sedentry day at the NVCF tomorrow :)

https://www.nvcf.org.uk/

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

Oh yes that is a nice mount Jim.

ekjdm14
donor 2020

Post by ekjdm14 »

Strange how you can just see quality... That mount, and what can be seen of the bike it's attached to, just ooze quality. Well engineered high grade kit like that is just lovely to look at, the old adage is true "If it looks right, then it most likely is right".

mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

myglaren wrote:True Jim and also only a twenty minute job to reinstall is the worst did happen.
I'm not sure what amazing machines you guys use but Ubuntu has *never* taken less than an hour to install for me, and even then downloads updates and patches (340mb last time when I installed the latest version) and warns me to update it most times when I boot, so I see absolutely no difference to using Windows!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

demag
Donor 2016

Post by demag »

About 20 minutes for me as well. I use Peppermint which is an Ubuntu spinoff. I have a copy of Win7 64 bit that I play a few Sims on and that's all it's used for. I multiboot three HDDs so no real personal stuff on Windows at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote:That mount, and what can be seen of the bike it's attached to, just ooze quality. Well engineered high grade kit like that is just lovely to look at, the old adage is true "If it looks right, then it most likely is right".

That's true :D This is the bike it's attached to:
Courtesy Giant.co.uk
Courtesy Giant.co.uk
It's all carbon and titanium, even the wheels, which wear tubeless tyres, are carbon. Almost all the metal bits, the gears and so on, are titanium. I believe only the chain is steel!

Don't look how much it cost... I don't want to be responsible for any fainting episodes :lol:

let's just say a very decent car could be obtained for the cost...
mickeymoon wrote:
I'm not sure what amazing machines you guys use but Ubuntu has *never* taken less than an hour to install for me
Just crappy old time-expired HP rubbish rescued from skips ;)