Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Unread post by addo »

I'm thinking chip butty with "Citdough" Jim's bread and Baconnaise.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Unread post by CitroJim »

addo wrote:I'm thinking chip butty with "Citdough" Jim's bread and Baconnaise.
:rofl2: :rofl2: At least the bread will be healthy!!!

I like the name 'Citdough' :-D I'll have to put some green food dye into it and then it'll look like an LHM loaf...

Northern_Mike

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Unread post by Northern_Mike »

Just make some Laverbread. The ingredients are greenish, and it's the same colour as dirty LHM when baked.

A chip butty with it would be weird though. Must have a chip butty actually, not had one for years. Thanks.

KP

Unread post by KP »

Ha ha! The only 'grinder' I use is the one in the garage with a spinning disc on it lol

citronut

Re: Re:

Unread post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote: I like the name 'Citdough' :-D I'll have to put some green food dye into it and then it'll look like an LHM loaf...
LHM loaf = low homogenized meat ???? or is it lets have mine :-D :rofl2: :wink:

lexi
Donor 2019

Unread post by lexi »

Happy to see you keep the XM Jim. Never give up a car that suits your personality :lol:
I would have happily cut and shut that for you but for the distance between us.
Can I recommend a Portamig Welder? Had mine 7 years now......lovely machine and made here in UK from girders. I use the medium hobby gas bottles at £60 one off deposit and 30 quid to fill. It can sit there doing nowt and no rental to pay, but you have gas when you need it. Gave up Air Products and Boc as too expensive for small user. Happy welding.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Thanks Lexi. That's exactly the route I looked to go with gas whilst at the NEC. Hobbygas seem to offer a good solution to the problem. Better than disposables..

I was looking at some welders there and it's very likely I'll go for one quite soon. Buy one from Telford Welding Supplies and they invite you to their works for a training session...

It'll have to wait a bit as I've just forked out nearly two grand on car insurance for me and the girls :twisted:

citronut

CitroJim wrote:
I was looking at some welders there and it's very likely I'll go for one quite soon. Buy one from Telford Welding Supplies and they invite you to their works for a training session...

It'll have to wait a bit as I've just forked out nearly two grand on car insurance for me and the girls :twisted:
Jim
you mean the welder isnt at the top of your Crimbo wish list #-o :roll: :o :-D :wink: ,

after all you do for your girlies thats the least they could do in return 8-) :wink:

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Unread post by addo »

Why not an oxy set? More versatile.

lexi
Donor 2019

Unread post by lexi »

I can't agree with oxy set Addo. Apart from it being rather a hot process, crawling under cars is where Mig is best. Having Acetylene here in housing estates is a big
risk. I got rid of mine. In any garage fire they will clear the whole street, if there is any acetylene in there. My mate has Mot station , 5 ramps and 5 mechanics. Even he has given up on Acetylene as the insurance was astronomical with him being within 500 yards of a block of flats and a train station. He has oxy/propane now and it is not great.
I miss my smoke spanner :cry:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

I have a baby mapp gas/oxy set and that's an excellent tool Lexi and absolutely indispensable for both traditional hot spanner work and brazing.

They say oxy is not the best for thin modern body panel steel anyway and MIG is the recommended way to weld them. That is made clear in the pukka Citroen body repair manuals.

Malcolm, a good MIG is in fact going to be my Christmas present to myself. The girls are buying me tools of a different sort - ones for the kitchen :-D

citronut

i borrowed a MAP gas torch to braze a section into a hydraulic pipe on a DS 21 Pallas, otherwise it was going to be and engine and box out job
( according to Darin at Citroen Classics ) to fit a replacement pipe block which has 6 4.5mm pipe factory fitted to it,

MAP gas succeeded, after dismantling the complete suspension unit, drive shaft, and wheel hub, to gain access :yikes: :yikes:

Northern_Mike

Unread post by Northern_Mike »

I have seen the pictures. It's put me off D ownership for life.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Unread post by addo »

I've done MAPP brazing under a Dee too (BVH Safari, no less). The secret (IMO) is paste flux and 5% silver, instead of liquid flux and low silver rod.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

addo wrote:The secret (IMO) is paste flux and 5% silver, instead of liquid flux and low silver rod.
In addition to a good fit and clinical cleanliness...
Northern_Mike wrote:I have seen the pictures. It's put me off D ownership for life.
Why?