Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Put a post-it note next to the alarm pad Jim :)
:lol: :lol:

Just as people do with passwords then. Post-It note stuck on the monitor.... I kid you not. I've seen it...

Best one was a user-name and password written on dymo tape and stuck to a laptop right by the mouse pad...

spider

Unread post by spider »

Shame about the ECU although worth a look. I would guess with that diode being shorted (assuming its across the relay 'coil' contacts) the back EMF voltage would likely spike something like a sensitive IC, hence the reason for said diode being there as you know.

Surprised the auto 'green' function not available on earlier models, although if I remember correctly it was not all PSA cars that did offer this, off hand the 406 could be made to and later (N/P plate) 306's but I don't recall seeing a 106 being capable of it. I guess slightly changed software in the CPH was the cause here.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

spider wrote:Shame about the ECU although worth a look.
Definitely worth a go at fixing Andy... I have all the necessary bits on order and who knows [-o<

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Can't explain this one at all :roll: :? Just an XM being an XM perhaps? I don't know..

I noticed this afternoon the XM had a distinctly soft tyre. 'Fiddelsticks, I've picked up a puncture' I thought. And in a nearly brand new tyre too :evil: I moved the car to get it within range of the airline and found in the 10 or so yards it had travelled the tyre was even softer.

I blew it up on the airline and put the car on high to take off the wheel with the intention of taking it to the tyre place for repair. I looked in vain for the nail or screw though and in fact spent half an hour when the wheel was off the car looking for it with a microscope almost. I searched and searched but could find nothing, not a sausage. I even made the tyre wet to look for bubbles. None. Not even the tiniest hint of a bubble or anything. I checked the valve. Seemed OK. No rim damage and I know I've not kerbed it or done anything silly with it.

Couldn't have been tampering as the valve cap was in place.

Previous to this all the tyres on the XM have been brilliant at holding pressure so it's not a porous rim or anything like that and it was Ok yesterday.

When I initially blew up the tyre I set it to 2.6 bars. Two and a half hours later it was still 2.6 bars. I put it back on the car, went for a short spin and checked it again. 2.8 bars. I've just checked it yet again some 5 hours after blowing it up and it's still on 2.6 bars.

So what's going on? I suppose the test will to see how it looks in the morning...

Bloody odd though...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

Nope, it is not odd. Even if you look VERY hard you cannot make out any sentence where 'Citroen' and 'logical' have any bearing on each other!

Are you sure that it was a soft tyre, and not just the XM using its self levelling super powers to throw you into a tizzy? My previous Xantia did that to me once (I thought she was on level ground), but when I checked the pressures they were all correct. When I checked I found a stone where I had parked.

EDIT; just seen you had to top up the air in the tyre. I wonder if you have a very small hole that would only open up when it is at the point when the curve of the tyre hits the road surface and changes its shape?
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 28 Apr 2013, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

The tyre still looks hard this morning. I'll check it properly after breakfast and when the frost goes away...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

And it's still nice and hard now and that’s after a couple of trips out so gawd only knows what went on.

Not trusting the car for work tomorrow though. The Activa is going to be used for that. Every cloud and all that :-D

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by myglaren »

You are sounding much more chirpy Jim.

I do hope this is an indicator they you are feeling better.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

myglaren wrote:You are sounding much more chirpy Jim.
I am? And yes, feeling a lot better today than I have for all week and just in time to go back to work too :evil:

I must learn from the past few weeks and no disregard signs...

Citroenmad

Unread post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote: I noticed this afternoon the XM had a distinctly soft tyre. 'Fiddelsticks
I had a tyre on my C5 which would go down at random. I found that it was the valve sticking in slightly after I had tested the tyre pressures. It could take a good few days for it to loose enough so that it was obviously soft. I would guess at that is the problem with yours as it has not lost since.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Citroenmad wrote: I would guess at that is the problem with yours as it has not lost since.
I certainly hope so Chris [-o<

spider

Unread post by spider »

Regarding the loss of pressure apart from the obvious you've checked ie damage and valve, a slightly porous rim could cause it intermittently when the area in question is at the bottom and has the 'weight' of the car sat on it.

It may be worth spraying a bit of slightly soapy water over the beading area both sides with it on the ground and if no signs of anything half a turn of each wheel then try again. ? :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Andy, that's an excellent thought. So far she's still good and I'm sure the wheel has now stopped in a variety of places.

However, she can rest for a while as I loved driving my Activa today... I witnessed something quite remarkable today. It the roundabout near my house, on the road up from the M1 I saw one of my colleagues waiting at said roundabout giving way to me. he was in his Audi TT. Very soon left him well behind and it was well on the way to work before he caught up with me again. At work I asked him what kept him. I thought he'd stopped in town or something to visit a shop.

'Speed bumps' he said. 'No way could I even try to keep up with you in your Citroen over those!'

So there you go.

Most of the bits have arrived to try a repair to my cruise control...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Unread post by Hell Razor5543 »

Fingers crossed for the Cruise ECU! I hope that it has learned the error of its way in not working.

PavlosV6

Unread post by PavlosV6 »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Fingers crossed for the Cruise ECU! I hope that it has learned the error of its way in not working.
Rest assured it will :!: