Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Citrojim's Xantia and XM Tales

Unread post by CitroJim »

bxzx16v wrote:I do like that pic Jim on the seafront , cold was it :shock:
No, it was actually quite warm and pleasant in a wintry sort of way until the rain came on Mark :) It looks a bit awful but really it was not. Take no notice of Robyn hiding under a hood - she's a right girl when it comes to weather :roll: :lol:

Looking forward to going back tomorrow :-D
andmcit wrote: Late reply about the Activa cat Jim, that'd be totally brilliant - thank you THANK YOU!
That's perfect Andrew :-D It's in the corner of my workshop with your name on it...

If you want to organise a courier to pick it up that'll be great and save me a task. I'll pack it reasonably and clearly address it. My new one arrived in a clear polythene bag and nothing else. Good job there's nothing to be embarrassed about when buying a cat - the packing was hardly discreet :lol:

I'll PM you my address in a bit and if you could do the same I'll get cracking on packing it...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Just given the XM a check-over and all seems good :-D No essential fluids consumed and all ECUs fault-free. Excellent...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

One downside of running LPG I've found :) Every time I go to my local BP the location of the LPG pump is such that it has another set pumps just ahead of it. Common courtesy would see you pull forward to these pumps and allow another customer to use the pumps behind.

As I want to get LPG I can't do that and now, every time I cause a car behind me to get initially annoyed thinking I'm being incredibly rude and ignorant by not pulling forward.

I find a gesture with one had on the LPG pump, the other on the car gas fill point and a smile gets the message home beautifully and usually with gushing apologies from the car behind :-D

Citroenmad

Unread post by Citroenmad »

No posts since Saturday ... did you make it to Aberystwyth ok ... ? [-o<

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Citroenmad wrote:No posts since Saturday ... did you make it to Aberystwyth ok ... ? [-o<
Yes, the XM did it a treat. Left here at 4:15PM on Sunday afternoon and I arrived back at 01:30 after a 400 mile round-trip :-D That's 800 miles for the weekend!

Filled up with gas at Telford and that took us to Aberystwyth and back again to Telford, a round trip of just over 200 miles. The gas gauge is a little pessimistic as there's well over 200 miles in that tank and the red light can be on for ages. I still don't know what extreme range is yet...

I was not so good though - hence no posts :( Yesterday was basically written off. Better today though and I managed to get the front brake pads replaced in the XM as I noted they were just a tad thin and all that Welsh travel saw the brakes being used a lot. I discovered I had an excellent wind-back tool for the calipers and one I never knew I had previously as it's actually a special tool I made for 4HP20 gearboxes :)

The car got absolutely filthy on the trip, so much so the rear numberplate was illegible :evil: A quick wash was given today...

I refilled with gas at our local BP today and the robbing sods have put gas up to 81.9p per litre :evil: :evil: :evil: In Aber it was 70p... Scandalous...

Citroenmad

That is good going Jim! :)

Yes, the red light does stay on for a long time, I found it would get me to work and back almost twice, so thats about 50 miles or more. I did drive until the LPG ran out and it would switch back to petrol. Using rough ideas and the satnav I worked out that 220-240 miles out of a full tank (to empty) was possible.

Im sure our local Asda is 65.9p a litre or it was when I had the XM. 81p, I think that is what petrol was when i first passed my test :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

It was less that that for a GALLON when I passed my test Chris :twisted: In fact it was 78p...

It's been a lovely day down here today and my last full day of freedom before I begin work again tomorrow. It's been three months now and it’ll seem odd to be working again... Half-days for the next 12 weeks to see how it goes and then - who knows?

So, I've been making good use of it. Engine oil, gearbox ATF and coolant all changed on the XM :-D Oddly, the ATF change is the easiest of the lot. The oil filter is hemmed in a bit by the LPG vaporiser heater pipes and takes a bit of getting out. I treated myself to one of those oil filter removal tools today that look like a big pair of forceps. They're excellent and without them I'd have struggled a bit.

I also cocked up refilling it. I'm so used to knowing how much oil a TCT in the Activa takes I assumed the XM TCT took the same. It's dangerous to assume anything with an XM and found I'd well overfilled it :evil: I had to carefully loosen the sump plug and let some out :roll:

The coolant was trickier than it should have been - the rad drain cock is broken and can't be used. I had no option but to disconnect the hose that goes to the LPG vapouriser at a convenient tee-piece and drain that way.

The ATF was easy by comparison :lol: It was a bit mucky and I'm pleased the gearbox has now had two changes in short succession. It smelt OK and luckily I didn't overfill it..

I did have a bit of a worry though. I drained the ATF into a cat litter tray and noted there seemed to be lots of metallic flakes present. I then saw these metallic flakes are actually embedded in the plastic of the tray and not floating in the oil at all - phew!

I rounded off the day by spraying some Dynax UC around underneath the car - hopefully to keep winter at bay a bit. Already the poor XM has been showered with salt a few times this year. On the way back from Aberystwyth the gritters were out with gay abandon :evil: Gawd knows why - it was wet, mild and a long way off freezing and a frost was not even forecast. Crazy :roll:

Citroenmad

Another very productive day Jim :-D

Good luck with your return back to work :)

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:It was less that that for a GALLON when I passed my test Chris :twisted: In fact it was 78p...
When I passed my test petrol was less than five bob a gallon :( (25p)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

myglaren wrote: When I passed my test petrol was less than five bob a gallon :( (25p)
Before 1973 then Steve... I was amazed to see just how much the cost of fuel went up following the 1973 oil crisis. Today I guess it would be akin to petrol suddenly costing a fiver a litre...

Funny it never came back down again once the cause of the 1973 crisis was (sort of) resolved :roll: Some people really do have a good war don't they?

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by myglaren »

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

myglaren wrote:1965.
I was driving pedal cars then...

ragger

Unread post by ragger »

Hope you have survived work, Jim.

I got my first car in 1972, and though that must have been post decimalisation I still seem to recall petrol as being about 6/8 (six and eight!) a gallon - less than 35p. It was a 57 Moggie that I bought for £50 and sold for £55 when I came north to university.

Rob

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

ragger wrote:Hope you have survived work, Jim.
Yes, just about Rob :-D I received a very warm welcome back, the intensity of which surprised me a little... What was amazing was nothing seems to have changed there except that I now I have a very quiet, steady and gentle job for the next 12 weeks :)

I was absolutely exhausted after my first half-day and came straight home to a nap. Hope that improves in the coming days and weeks :roll:

Deanxm

Unread post by Deanxm »

Yes but it was in an all time low then for three years, in 1970 petrol was 80p/gal and in 75 is was back up to 73p/gal, i think the average wage in 1960 bought you just under 1100gals the average wage today will buy you 5000gals so like it or not historicaly fuel is actualy cheap at the moment.........................

Glad your getting on ok at work Jim, you take it steady though!!!
D