Citrojim's Saxo and Cycling Tales

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Unread post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: Along such lines, I am sure this fellow would empathise with your balls exploding.
:rofl:

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citrojim's Xantia Tales

Unread post by myglaren »

Nice if unplanned work Jim, should last a while now :)
CitroJim wrote:Today I really am resting :)
And hoping Malcolm doesn't read this post :twisted:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

myglaren wrote: And hoping Malcolm doesn't read this post :twisted:
I know, always a big worry...

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Unread post by RichardW »

CitroJim - the only man who considers resting is changing front wheel bearings on a V6 Xantia :-D

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

RichardW wrote:CitroJim - the only man who considers resting is changing front wheel bearings on a V6 Xantia :-D
Ahh but I was resting Richard... Mike did all the hard graft. I just made tea, operated the press and tapped a couple of threads :wink:

vince

Unread post by vince »

Hi Jim,

Keeping busy as usual :) It will be interesting to see if the replacement lambda cures the fault. I come across loads of these kinds of faults through work speaking to mechanics every day. The problem with lambda fault codes is whether they are the cause or the effect of the problem. We have a new system at work which has been developed by Carweb and is now exclusive to GSF. It has been designed by mechanics and tech people alike to outperform autodata and is taking the industry by storm behind closed doors :wink:

If a replacement lambda doesnt cure the fault then if you PM the P code for the fault i can input this into the system and it will walk me through step by step all the possible causes of that code on that vehicle and include how to investigate each avenue. It really is very special in its capability...so much so that autodata have taken the hump in a big way :) Im pretty sure i can email the processes aswell.

Im not sure what other sensors are involved in the induction, ecu and fueling system on that engine but often the lambda fault pops up as an after effect of the original cause. It being intermittant definately points towards an electrical issue at some point. Often with these faults, the air mass readings become "unclear" to the ECU....usually air mass sensor or intake manifold pressure sensor if fitted. In these cases the ECU not being entirely sure of the volume of air entering the engine, makes its best guess and tends to overfuel to ensure the vehicle keeps running to get the occupants to their destination. Soot, rich fuel smell and poorer mpg's tend to follow. Emissions are then thrown out of normal levels and if run like this for a long time the lambda in the system, being forced to work outside of its normal working range, tends to either throw up the fault code or fail entirely.

I might be wrong, but thats how most vehicles i come across tend to be behaving. Your ocilloscope would probably come in handy testing individual sensor performances if you cant remotely test them with the lexia.

It will be interesting to see what cures it....

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

That sounds an interesting system Vince and ideal if you can't interpret what the other sensors are telling you... Just the job for the trade :)

I can't find anything else amiss on the V6 and as the fault coincides with a recent full new exhaust system I fear they may have damaged the Lambda Sensor then...

Still, we'll soon know...

Problem is, a Lexia on an older Citroen does not give P codes because they're non-EOBD compliant... Be interesting to see how your system might cope with that...

vince

Unread post by vince »

usually the tech helpdesk will help link a non p code to get you to the same results if the code doesnt work. If the exhaust has been replaced then you can probably bet the lambda being swapped over has killed it.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

It's not been a good week at all. I'm currently off sick suffering severe fatigue and exhaustion. It's a thing that plagues me regularly and brings me to my knees all too often these days...

Due to it I nearly didn't make the DSM Rally this weekend. It was only sheer willpower that got me there on Saturday.

On Sunday, again running on willpower alone, I went to see Chris570 who was suffering a smelly HDi with a diesel leak. The leak was quickly diagnosed to a suspected tiny split in the pipe that runs between the HP pump outlet and the fuel rail. Chris has since replaced the pipe and all is now good. Then it was back to DSM. Truth be told, due to feeling lousy I didn't enjoy it as much as I should have.

From Monday until today it's been a written off week really. Most of it has been spent asleep with the occasional forays into this forum.

Yesterday evening, feeling a tad perkier, I attempted replacing the oxygen sensor on Old V6 and nearly killed myself in the process. I just couldn't muster the strength or concentration needed. The rest of the evening was truly written off. In the end Paul had to do the job under guidance. The sensor was really really tight all the way out and when it eventually came out we could see why. The sensor boss in the new downpipe fitted to replace the complete exhaust a few months ago had a damaged tread and the thread of the old sensor was well mangled. We could also see evidence of violence on the old sensor where they must have really struggled to fit it. It is assumed they damaged it in fitting it. Paul struggled in the new one and on the Lexia we were relieved, nay delighted, to see the new one performing as expected ranging from a low of 80mV up to a high of 900mV over the course of a second and with a much sweeter smelling exhaust :)

I've put Rattiva to bed for the summer now and brought New V6 into active daily use. Rattiva is my winter car and now winter seems to be over it's time for her to rest and make way for my summer car... I'll miss Rattiva's economy I expect and doubtless she'll see use occasionally when there's a scruffy haulage job needing doing.

Off to see the medical profession on Tuesday to see if they can offer any clue to what's going on. Shame they can't plug a Lexia into me :roll:

And again the Activa must wait for new tyres. I've just had to help Robyn out to the tune of quite a stack of dosh to secure her accommodation in Aberystwyth for the next year of Uni...

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker

Unread post by addo »

Hope you can catch up on some rest. No fun being knackered all the time; quack might have some beneficial input...

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Thanks Adam :-D
addo wrote:quack might have some beneficial input...
One hopes [-o< At least she's noted there's a bit of a pattern going on over the last couple of years and she's a youngster with a bit of enthusiasm going by first impressions. Older and more cynical quacks tend to flinch at any problem that might be above the neck and reach for a box of pills and send you on your way quick. They don't do heads..

Younger and keener ones are generally a little more aware. As always, we'll see :roll:

red_dwarfers
Donor 2017

Unread post by red_dwarfers »

All the best Jim, hope she can gradually retune you back to your optimal settings :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

red_dwarfers wrote:All the best Jim, hope she can gradually retune you back to your optimal settings :)
Thanks Kev :-D Happy to say a bit better today but still not firing on all cylinders just yet... Still, managed to give the house a good thorough clean today and hope to get out and mow the lawn in a bit...

Citroenmad

Unread post by Citroenmad »

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling yourself Jim, im sure a quieter week must have done you some good. I hope your feeling back of form again soon.

I didn't realise your HDI was only the winter hack, you'll no doubt be enjoying the V6 to the full all summer. Perhaps that its because your still in your winter car that we are having some interesting, non summer like, weather :lol:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Citroenmad wrote:Sorry to hear you have not been feeling yourself Jim, im sure a quieter week must have done you some good. I hope your feeling back of form again soon.
Me too Chris... It's been going on for a bit too long now. Still yesterday was a definitely better day. I got the house cleaned from top to bottom, tidied up the garden a bit, mowed the lawn and then went to Tesco. I was a bit wrecked at the end of it though and paying for it today :evil: Fell asleep at 9 last night :roll:
Citroenmad wrote:Perhaps that its because your still in your winter car that we are having some interesting, non summer like, weather :lol:
Well, the indications are that there's a definite improvement in the weather - there's a big, bright yellow ball in a blue sky here at the moment :-D It was always the intention of Rattiva to be a winter car but for reasons many she stayed in service longer than intended this year. I had this blinding thought in the week - 'I have a gorgeous V6 doing nothing so why am I still running around in a scruffy old HDi now that winter is at an end?' - I'm really enjoying the V6 again and not least for the reason it practically drives itself. Just now that's a bit of an advantage as I'm not very happy driving very far, I'm not my normal alert self by any means and my concentration span is not good. 10 miles is about my limit at the moment and last night I felt decidedly unsafe on the way back from Tesco :( I took it very carefully and was glad the V6 spared me the task of clutch and gears.