Opera and Citroen Service

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Ubuntu never gives me any of this crap, just asks for a password before permitting any potentially destructive operations, and is far more discrete about proffering downloads etc that I might care to install, at my convenience. It also gives a fairly thorough description of the downloads and a simple checkbox selection of those I want/don't want.
Vista just stuffs them down my throat, sometimes without asking or saying what they might be - Service pack 1 being a prime example.

The dopey Windows Defender is always breaking and then kicks up a stink because the damned thing is busted and can't update
Whilst the above may not seem too bad for seasoned Windose warriors such as yourself, it would simply horrify me. My PowerMac runs for months on end, 24/24 with just no aggro at all, and I'm sure that LINUX and clones do too.
Last edited by lolingram on 21 May 2008, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

lolingram wrote:
Ubuntu never gives me any of this crap, just asks for a password before permitting any potentially destructive operations, and is far more discrete about proffering downloads etc that I might care to install, at my convenience. It also gives a fairly thorough description of the downloads and a simple checkbox selection of those I want/don't want.
Vista just stuffs them down my throat, sometimes without asking or saying what they might be - Service pack 1 being a prime example.

The dopey Windows Defender is always breaking and then kicks up a stink because the damned thing is busted and can't update
Whilst the above may not seem too bad for seasoned Windose warriors such as yourself, if would simply horrify me!
I tend to take Windows problems with a pinch of salt - there is always, or almost always, a workaround. If it all goes spiralling down, reinstall it.

Same applies to Linux but it is usually more responsive to 'fixes', once you find what the fix may be - I still regard myself as a Linux n00b and only really skim the surface. Linux is far simpler and quicker to install - reinstall than Windows with all it's service packs and updates. Not because Linux doesn't have them, it does and quite numerouse. It is just the way it works.

For a new, clean install, stick the disc in and partition as required - or let it do what it thinks best which is usually good for most users.
On the start of the installation, practicaly the first thing it does is to set up an internet connection with the Ubuntu servers.
As it extracts the packages it checks them against the database and selectes the most up tp date or appropriate for your machine and installs that, thus bypassing a whole heap of package installations that then have to be removed and replaced by updates. Linux doesn't tack on patches to broken files, the whole file is replaced.

It actually takes less time to do than Windows and the installation is completely up to date.

What is most impressive is that it does almost all of this without user intervention, about the only thing it needs interaction with is to set your location, language, keyboard preference etc.
No entering codes and stuff, no activation, no Windows Genine Advantage etc. etc.

What impresses me most is the 'politenes' of the OS when it wants your attention or permision to do something.

It can appear to be hard compared with Windows but it is realy just familiarity.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

An update:

I've just upgraded to Opera V9.5 and citroen.service.com now works completely properly with it :D

Quite a useful update all told. The best browser is now even better!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just installed it on the Vista machine and it's the same old story. Doesn't work at all. It opens but ask it to open a page and it does alright - in Firefox?

Several things crash it in Linux - eBay for one! :cry:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Just installed it on the Vista machine and it's the same old story. Doesn't work at all. It opens but ask it to open a page and it does alright - in Firefox?

Several things crash it in Linux - eBay for one! :cry:
That's odd Steve :? Works a treat for me, both in Vista and XP... Did you set it as your default browser?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No - I want Firefox as default and Opera as backup where I need 2 IDs on one site (Gmail, Yahoo mail and a forum where I log in separately as moderator (invisible).

I'll carry on with Safari as it is the only one that works except Firefox.

It isn't very good but it will do. Would have preferred Opera.