Veggie oil - same as diesel prices :(

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I don`t expect this to be a popular opinion but I think there is something inherantly wrong in buying labeled foodstuff like oil and burning it in a car. When people started doing it I did not agree nor did I need a crystal ball to predict that the price would rise.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
rolphy1975
My Cars:

Post by rolphy1975 »

yep, definatley not going to be a popular opinion this one!!! :wink:

when i had my 1.9td xantia i ran it on a 50/50 mix svo to diesel for about a year and really appreciated the saving it gave me, yes svo is a food stuff but lets not forget it is also an oil and its ingredients form the basis of bio fuels so when everyone starts using bio diesel are they doing something wrong aswell.

well i am a good boy now and run a petrol powered engine so the cost of veg oil does not worry me anymore but it was only about 63ppl when i was using it!!! :roll:
megane 1.6e rt 1998
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I am still convinced the majority of the price rise of rapeseed (and other cooking) oil is purely down to greed and nothing more.

There is a world of difference between biofuels and rapeseed oil. The raw materials for rapeseed oil are....... rapeseed plants. They can be and are grown in this country - though I suspect the supermarkets source their oil from abroad because it is more profitable/cheaper. :roll:

Yes Lexi, I agree it is wasteful to be using food grade oil as a fuel and if I had the choice of fuel-grade oil - as our government have been advised to encourage production of years ago - I would buy it instead.
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Yes I agree it is a waste to put food products in our tanks, but when running a car, cost has to come into it and like it or not, we pay far too much tax on our fuel.

I for one do not mind at all when the fuel company decide that due to increased cost they have to put a penny on the fuel, it's the overloaded tax that I hate.

One of the things that realy bugs me, is the people that complain about paying £1+ for a litre of fuel and then merrely pay more than that for a litre of water when you can get it from the tap!

As far as cost's of running are concerned, I will carry on using the cheapest, if that is food, then so be it. In fact, if I thought that the car would run on it I would pee in the tank! Then again, on a saturday morning it may well do.

Regards
Slim.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Well, I think I can take some moral high ground as this evening I started collecting WVO from a second source. So I'll be burning less of the horrible diesel, nothing that is taken from the food chain and also helping to dispose of a problem product!

Damn I feel good about myself :wink:

Righteously yours

Penguin
95 Xantia 1.9td SX
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

slim123 wrote:....In fact, if I thought that the car would run on it I would pee in the tank!....
You do realise that if you done that you would have to keep a record of how much you used in the vehicle & you would have to pay excise duty on every litre ! :lol:
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Well done Lexi, I almost completely agree with you.

Veg oil is not a sustainable source of fuel for our cars, rapeseed would need to be planted so densely that we wouldn't have room to grow food if we all did it.

I don't think that it is actually wrong to use it though, just that it should be saved for when you are broke.

Now there isn't much point though.

I can't afford to run a car at the minute and am really struggling to pay for fuel and maintenance. Right now I would be using veg if it were available and I had a diesel.

I think my next move is LPG, at least it'll be cheap(ish) for the next year and a half.
Wanted an Activa but after some insurance quotes I realised that was a rather silly idea..
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

You are just kidding yourself... how about ethyl petrol?
well i am a good boy now and run a petrol powered engine so the cost of veg oil does not worry me anymore but it was only about 63ppl when i was using it!
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

84ppl in costco for soy oil KTC
Last time I checked 89ppl corn oil in tesco. Their 56ppl Pura stuff is now £1.08
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool