fault code reader and non starter

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

toofargone
My Cars:

fault code reader and non starter

Post by toofargone »

Can anyone tell me what fault-code reader to buy for a "2.0 hdi synergie, year 2000.

After eventually getting the gearbox back in (and all the gears now selectable,) the engine will not start. It turns quickly enough, the fuel system seems to pressurise, (noise of pump starts and stops), but it will not start.

Thank you
toofargone
My Cars:

Post by toofargone »

Just for the record, there is a 16 pin reader under the steering column, (to the right). I have been informed that it is obd compliant.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

If it's definitely OBD2 compliant, you can buy ELM327 code readers from eBay. Can't tell you if they're any good from there, though, since I bought one then found my C3 2003 model isn't OBD2 compliant despite having 16-pin connector. The chinese ELM327s use programmed PIC chips, not the original ELM chip, hence the cheap price. If you want a 'legit' ELM reader, I can give you URL of place selling them.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Before shelling out on an ELM, confirm it is OBDII compliant. I doubt that it is. On a Citroen, the presennce of the standard 16 pin diagnostic socket is no guarantee whatsoever of it being OBDII compliant. My 2000 Activa has a 16 pin socket but it it about as ODBII compliant as my fishtank.

OBDII compliance was not a legal necessity until 2001 on petrol cars and 2004 for diesels. Citroen, until then, used their own protocols which could only be read by their readers or expensive professional readers.

I bit the bullet in the end and got hold of a pukka Citroen Lexia diagnostic system in need of some TLC. Its a fantastic piece of kit.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Hi,

Just to confirm what other members have said, my 53 plate C5 isn't OBD compatible either.

Steve.
not applicable
toofargone
My Cars:

Post by toofargone »

thanks for all the info.
i hope to try an elm327 but am not holding out much hope.
in any case i have a suspicion that it is the speed sensor which i must have upset whilst having the gearbox out.
thanks again
toofargone
My Cars:

Post by toofargone »

Tried the elm 327 but could not get it to work. However some on the ilexa diagnostics site say it is compatible.

In any case--good news--i got a new speed sensor and it started ok. I must have damaged it when replacuing gearbox. Pretty reasonable price at under £16.

Thanks again