Saxo ABS

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Saxo ABS

Post by MikeT »

A friend has a saxo where the ABS light is on. He borrowed a known-working sensor off a donor saxo and replaced the F/O/S but no change so did the same on the F/N/S and still no joy.

Any ideas apart from replacing all four? Where is the ABS ECU located and does anyone know the pinouts or test procedure for the wiring?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if he can get to all four sensor conector plugs, just put a test meter across each of the plugs, how are the Saxo sensors fitted, because if the fit in through a lug in the hub carrier (cast iron) i belive it destroys them on removal
regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Destroyed on removal doesn't sound too hopeful - I assume it's not obvious damage as he would have noticed surely?

I assume he had access to the plugs to have refitted the replacements so quickly, what is a typical value he should be looking for?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im not sure if the Saxo ABS sensors are fitted through a cast iron lug, but if they are it would be only luck to be able to salvege one without damageing it,

i cant remember what the values should be when useing an ohm meter, but i alway used to check them this way, and normaly the one which was at fault would show open circuit,

recently my son tells me i need to test these with an indutance meter to get a true reading,
regards malcolm

ps.
also i think the guy had only tried to two front sensors, and again i have not worked on any Saxo ABS sensors as yet
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the sensors are a simple coil wound round a former - and so a simple continuity test is all you need - as either it conducts or it doesn't.

For a BX the resistance is about 950 ohms and I'd imagine saxo ones would be a similar value.

Generally its the leads to the sensors that fail - and it has been known for people to repair them by carefully soldering in a length of suitable co-ax cable.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i agree with Jeremy, it is more often than not the lead its self, usualy wright were it flexes fronts round the strut when streering, rears were the lead lays across the pivot point of the rear arm
regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I'll let him know those details next time I see him, thank you.