Intercooler query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Intercooler query

Post by steviewonder7 »

My intercooler is slowly falling apart on my 1.9 td Xantia (94)model, so instead of replacing it with like for like I thought I’d replace it with something of the same capacity but with different diamensions.
The theory behind this (right or wrong) is to fit the new said intercooler further in front of cooling rad and maybe lower down.(I’ve not really looked into this at the moment,that’s why I’m posting here to get some feedback to the idea).I don’t like the way the existing intercooler sits right in front of the cooling rad as surely one affects the function of the other.e.g.intercooler hinders air flow to cooling rad and heat from
the cooling rad affects the charge temperature going through the intercooler.
Would fitting a new intercooler of different diamensions but of equal capacity to the original intercooler affect the working/performance of the car in any way detrimental?
I’m not looking for a boost in performance otherwise I’d go and obtain an Activa.
How would I be able to calculate the correct capacity intercooler to obtain ?
What are your thoughts on the the matter folks?

Regards Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

IMO, the intercooler on the Xantia is excellent, many high performance cars dont have one as big or as effective! They can be seen on ebay occasionally and dont go for alot of money.

You will make very little improvement to cooling, the intercooler fins are very effective at flowing air and whilst it 'blocks' the rad, the air coming off the intercooler is still sufficent to take the heat out of the rad. If you increase the gap between the rad and the intercooler there will be a pressure drop and some of the air will circulate above, below and around the intercooler instead of reaching the rad. This is why they are so close together.

If there intercooler was thicker it would be an issue but its not very thick at all, hence why it has a large surface area as opposed to one with a smaller surface area but twice as thick to compensate.

Hope that makes senses, the old saying if it aint broke, dont fix it definatly rings true here!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Understand what you are saying Xantiaman...will keep those thoughts close to mine. :wink: Thanks for the reply so soon.

regards Steve
1994 Xantia 1.9TD sx non anti sink.No aircon.Gone to the great scappy up above.

Now with Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI (90 bhp)(03 plate) in 'Wicked Red'