very heavy xantia clutch 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

very heavy xantia clutch 1.9td

Post by admiral51 »

i have just driven both my xantias (obviously not at the same time :lol: ) and was surprised at just how heavy/hard the clutch is on the 1.9td compared to the 1.9n/a( which i still think has a heavy clutch anyway).
as i have no real history for the td regarding clutch/gearbox im interested in hearing some opinions on wether or not to get the clutch done and also the cable.

i understand that doing the clutch i would be advised to replace all 3 main components.as i have no intention of doing this job myself (i tend to like smaller simpler jobs like heater matrix for which i have the tools :) ) does anyone have any ideas on prices for an indie to do it and is it good housekeeping to get the cable done at the same time
i intend to use it to tow the caravan so im thinking better safe than sorry :D :D

i think someone has said that they had a heavy/hard clutch and since replacing it it is now light as a feather(for a xantia :lol: :lol: )

cheers in advance

colin
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i used to charge £150 labour but after people on here saying that is to cheap i will be upping my price to £180 + the parts, clutch kit is just over the £100 pounds,then its best to replace the diff seals which i charge £12, and also check the condition of the nylon fork pivot bushs, i cant remember what they cost,

and no you dont need to do the cable at the same time, although the clip at the pedel end might be weaknd with the heavy pedel, it dose not make any differance doing it with or without the gearbox on or of the car

regards malcolm
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I'd still say he's to cheap.

£350 seems to be the going rate.

Insist on the fork and the little rubber collars and all the other bits being done as well, especially the thrust bearing.

Get a good clutch too, QH and Valeo spring to mind.

Maybe even get Malcolm to do it, he charges a very fair price.
bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

Mr Clutch want £329, but I am hoping to get citronut or another board member to do it as I want it done by somebody that cares about the job being done right. Not the job being done quickly and out the door.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

One of th things that must be considered when assessing a clutch is 'Is the linkage adjusted correctly?

It seems to be a matter of pride amongst fast clutch centre mechanics never to adjust a clutch after fitting a new one - with the result that the thing bites and frees with the pedal on the floor - which results in a heavy pedal as the linkage is not working in its most favorable position. Adjusting the thing to give a proper breaking point produces an amazing transformation.

As the plate wears the effect is that the diaphragm spring goes further over centre and produces more gripping force. In fact the breaking point rises and so the linkage should be adjusted to allow proper free play to allow the thing to engage properly.

Had this on our ZX 1.9D - at 53,000 miles when we got it it seemed to have had a new clutch as all the bolts seemed rusty on their corners and the pedal needed to be pushed to the floor. Adjustment lightened the pedal and made it work properly. The car shows no ill effects for apparently destroying a clutch in that mileage!
jeremy
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Knowing the work involved Malcolm, I still think £180 is a bargain :D If one of these quick clutch outfits do the job, goodness only knows how much damage they might do and chances are, they'll not do the job carefully or properly, such as replacing final drive oil seals and release arm bushes.

Only yesterday, when I drove my 1.9TD for the first time since replacing the clutch I was still amazed at how light it is now after needing to be King Kong to depress it previously. Mine was caused by the top release arm bush breaking up and this can be replaced without taking the 'box off but the bottom one cannot be. They wear and make a heck of a difference so as Elma says, make sure they're renewed. Again as Elma says, go for a Valeo kit. They're OEM and often badged as Citroen parts.

Jeremy, that is a very good point concerning adjustment. Give yours a check Colin.

Bottom line, a 1.9TD clutch should not be heavy!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

citronut wrote:i used to charge £150 labour but after people on here saying that is to cheap i will be upping my price to £180 + the parts, clutch kit is just over the £100 pounds,then its best to replace the diff seals which i charge £12, and also check the condition of the nylon fork pivot bushs, i cant remember what they cost,

and no you dont need to do the cable at the same time, although the clip at the pedel end might be weaknd with the heavy pedel, it dose not make any differance doing it with or without the gearbox on or of the car

regards malcolm
Ahh - but Malcolm :wink:

Why leaving your bargain approach - are you tired of too many customers running you over :lol:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Just returning from the Zoo this afternoon and as I changed gear the clutch pedal suddenly went straight to the floor and stayed there. I assume that the problem is the infamous clip that is impossible to get to? I had a bit of a quick look and a feel about but couldn't work out what was missing or how to go about replacing it. The clutch was quite heavy before this happened so I suppose it will also need changing.

Am I right in thinking the clip is probably the culprit?

Cheers
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Penguin wrote:Am I right in thinking the clip is probably the culprit?
More than likely, I changed my first one of these recently and after reading all manner of horror stories I was surprised how easy it was to change.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for the reassurance Dickie. Unfortunately I'm not really in a position to be able to change it myself and now I've got to try and work out how to get it to my friendly mechanic. :roll:
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

elma
i personaly wouldnt touch QH parts with the proverbrial barge poll,

and Anders
im only upping my price because im strugling to pay my workshop overheads

also i usualy ask my customers to leave a XANT with me for two days
regards malcolm

ps.
the £180 i am going to charge dose NOT include any parts
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

citronut wrote:
i personaly wouldnt touch QH parts with the proverbrial barge poll,
Nor me, if I have a choice :( I had to use a QH handbrake cable on my 2.1TD as GSF don't supply them and Citroen wanted silly money. The difference in quality between the RH GSF supplied one and the LH QH one was most apparant. The QH one was a couple of quid cheaper than the GSF one though.

I was once forced to use a QH waterpump in an XU5, not realising the XU5 one is a little different to the XUD ones I had in stock. Saturday afternoon and an engine in bits I had no choice - the factors and a QH one was the only option. It cost £55 as well :twisted:

Although it looked a shoddy item with a pressed steel impeller, it lasted the course and was still happy after two years, up until I lost contact with the car.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i fitted a QH clutch cable to a GS years ago, and couldnt understand why the clutch would disengage when the pedel was pressed, and would not re/engage when the pedel was released,

turned out the nylon cable linner had come out with the inner cable, scrunched up on its return,
regards malcolm
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Wow, I'm quite amazed.

I used quentin Hazle because my Citroen garage told me most of its parts were QH. Speciffically the ball joints, track rod ends, drop links and ball joints.

I've always thought the parts were quite good.

With so much bad feedback here though I shall compare a few parts and reconsider.

Malcom, I think if you are doing a clutch for £350 with all those extra bits (including parts) then you are a bargain.

I would pay you that to do one for me if I were the kind of person to pay for work.

Especially as you use decent parts and have a positive interest in the cars.

I personally think you are undervaluing what you do.

The cit specialest in Oswestry charges £350but does less, he does use Valeo though.

The ones around Cardiff want a fair bit more (£400-450) and all but one seem to be absolute cowboys with intimidating sales techniques in untidy workshops that you wouldn't want your car in.

Maybe you should ring some other cit garages and see what they quote you for some of the common jobs. Not suggesting you double your prices, but I can see why you are having trouble with rates if you do so much work for that money.

I can see why you do, not many people understand the difference between the job you will do and what mr clutch will do so you won't want to be costing more.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

My Xantia has done about 97000 miles. Is this reasonable for the clutch to need replacing or is it likely that the heaviness and subsequent clip failure is due to something else?

Cheers