ZX 1.4I long driveshaft removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

If your having trouble getting the shaft out because of the bearing being stuck into the bearing mounting just unbolt the bearing mounting from the engine & remove the shaft with this on.
Once off the car it will be easier to release the bearing....I have done this in the past when the bearing was stuck.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

Thanks. I had been looking at this as I was hoping that it was a split clamp with pinch bolt.
If I can get it off with the bearing on it, thats got to be the preferred option where I am working at the moment. It will save me a lot of time and trouble moving Citroens about. :D
I am also trying to design an atachement for my slide hammer/dent puller using a "U" bolt between the tri ax pot and the bearing housing.
However, as soon as I can get out there, I will look at taking the housing off .

The gaiters seem to perish all to quickly and this is almost a routine job so I must find a slick way of doing the off side shaft.

All the best,

Kristian.
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I removed the bearing housing with the shaft when I renewed the drive shaft oil seal on the Xsara we have. The bearing didn't want to drift out of the housing easily & although I had the car up on axle stands trying to get in with a drift & hammer was tricky.
Getting the shaft out with the housing in place is a bit of a puzzel but it did come out.
Once the shaft & housing was off the car I warmed the alloy bearing housing with a little heat from a blowtorch & the bearing came out easily.

Make sure to clean the housing up thoroughly & wipe a bit of grease around it where the bearing sits to stop it sticking in the future.

Fit the bearing housing back to the car before refitting the shaft.

Good luck.
Last edited by uncle buck on 28 Apr 2008, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you have allready been under there to undo the retainning nuts, you could have then just drifted it out at the same time, i have done loads of these and never had any problem,

you have got the outter CV joint removed from the hub i hope, other wise you will never get the intermediate bearing to move,

ps
if you are thinking of removing the complete housing, you will need to get under the car ferther the if you are just driftting it out

regards malcolm
KEB1

Post by KEB1 »

I have no problem getting under the car but it's only jacked up at one side as I thought I would be able to slide the shaft out.
However, if I need to swing a hammer, I will have to get the car higher and lift the whole front up to give myself more room.
I am working in the driveway on the twin concrete track.
I tried the slide hammer but I can't a decent purchase.

If I am going to have to get physical with it, I will have to put it back together and spin the 2CV sideways which I need to do anyway and give myself concrete under the subframe.

I did the short one two years ago and it was a couple of hours job. In my innocence, I thought this would be just as easy, ho hum..

The outer joint is removed from the hub and has been since Saturday.

Kristian.
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club
KEB1

Success !!!!

Post by KEB1 »

Hi All,

I had to postpone the job until this weekend but I have now succeeded.
I still couldn't get as much hight as I would have liked but with the aid of a bench vice, an old lab test tube holder to get the right hight and angle and my trusty punch plus a lead light and a good mirror, I was able with a few blows with a nylon mallet to send the shaft on its way.
:D
Many thanks for the help.

All the best,

Kristian.

:D
1993 ZX 1.4i Aura
1984 2CV6 Club
1972 Dyane 6

Past Citroens

1975 CX
1972 GS Club