HG repair requirements

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reblack68
My Cars:

Post by reblack68 »

Is that a jubilee clip? It might be worth getting one of those flexible jubilee clip drivers.
Richard

No French cars of my own at present.
Care of a 1994 205 D.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No, not a jubilee clip unfortunately but a big, strong and springy version of the crimp clip you find on rubber hoses all over the engine bay :( They are a pain and in fact, a repair replacement with screw clamps are available that look like mini exhaust clamps.

I normally use a long hard pointed scriber to spring them apart. The trick is to get the point in under the crimp, and lever up so that the clip pops apart. hard to explain but have a practice on a smaller version. I have a handy pair of pliers that look like a miniture version of a chippies nail removing pincers that works well to refit them.

To make a removal tool, get an old and otherwise useless long screwdriver and grind the end down to a tapering point.

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:

This shows where to insert the point of the tool and then you need to lift up and push sideways to pop the clip apart.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

The hook clips over the knuckle when compressed. The knuckle has another lip (not seen) that aids the grasp. These are widely by Citroen (at least on the Xantia) but often replaced with jubilee clips for obvious reasons.

I've tried compressing these to aid releasing but they are generally already under full compression when locked. I did have some success using a thin long screwdriver and levering the gap in the hook, usually both sides need to be worked and forced up. The easiest method I have discovered is to insert one of the jaws of a pair of thin-nosed pliers straight into the hook gap and lever the hook up and off.

The EGR clips are slightly different than the above but the grasp is the same mechanism. The lack of access means I cannot get any leverage on the hook, even if I can get a purchase intially. A friend offered to break them off which I declined.... for now. :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote:The EGR clips are slightly different than the above but the grasp is the same mechanism. The lack of access means I cannot get any leverage on the hook
That's it Mike. The difference is there is a "pip" on the EGR clip that locks the tab (which becomes a bent fork) when it is bent over. You can just see it in my picture. This is the reason for both needing to lift and push sideways at the same time in order to release them.

There is no harm in tapping the removal tool with a small hammer to help them apart. You won't damage either the EGR valve or the inlet manifold in doing so. Just a small hammer though :wink:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote: You can just see it in my picture.
Ok, where can I see your picture Jim?
citrojim wrote: There is no harm in tapping the removal tool with a small hammer to help them apart. You won't damage either the EGR valve or the inlet manifold in doing so. Just a small hammer though :wink:
I'm more worried about damaging the clip though - tight arse git I am, I doubt they can be replaced with a jubilee, I'd need to buy OEM? However, I'd sooner altogether not have to replace any of the EGR components!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Quite, a Jubilee clip won't do as it needs to be shaped to fit the cones on the EGR valve body and inlet manifold.
MikeT wrote:Ok, where can I see your picture Jim?
In the post immediately above your picture of a clip Mike :roll: Look slightly to the left of where the scriber is inserted and you'll see the little "pip" on the face of the hooked part of the clip.
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

citrojim wrote:Quite, a Jubilee clip won't do as it needs to be shaped to fit the cones on the EGR valve body and inlet manifold.
In the post immediately above your picture of a clip Mike :roll: Look slightly to the left of where the scriber is inserted and you'll see the little "pip" on the face of the hooked part of the clip.
Helps if you zoom the image if your browser supports this - Opera at least does.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote:Quite, a Jubilee clip won't do as it needs to be shaped to fit the cones on the EGR valve body and inlet manifold.
In the post immediately above your picture of a clip Mike :roll:
It wasn't there when I backtracked in case I missed it. Wasn't there when I posted my reply either, and even just now it wasn't viewable so I backtracked to the previous page - nope. Returned to reply and it downloaded! Right above my post :lol: I've not gone completely mad just yet! :wink:
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

MikeT wrote:I've not gone completely mad just yet! :wink:
Can we have a vote on that? :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

MikeT wrote:Image

The hook clips over the knuckle when compressed. The knuckle has another lip (not seen) that aids the grasp. These are widely by Citroen (at least on the Xantia) but often replaced with jubilee clips for obvious reasons.

I've tried compressing these to aid releasing but they are generally already under full compression when locked. I did have some success using a thin long screwdriver and levering the gap in the hook, usually both sides need to be worked and forced up. The easiest method I have discovered is to insert one of the jaws of a pair of thin-nosed pliers straight into the hook gap and lever the hook up and off.

The EGR clips are slightly different than the above but the grasp is the same mechanism. The lack of access means I cannot get any leverage on the hook, even if I can get a purchase intially. A friend offered to break them off which I declined.... for now. :lol:

i find either a pair of side cuters, or what i have recently found is a pair of LIDLS nail pinchers which i have ground the inside faces of the jaws down,
so they get under the edge of the hook,

they also work on refitting
regards malcolm
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

DickieG wrote:
MikeT wrote:I've not gone completely mad just yet! :wink:
Can we have a vote on that? :lol:
Pass
citronut wrote:i find either a pair of side cuters
I have a pair of those, I'll give them a try. Thanks Malcolm
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Seeing as the engine bay is full of them I bought a set of the proper pliers from Halfords, they weren't any dearer than the indies.

Laser toos make them - http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?item=756&cat=0

Steve.
not applicable
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

steelcityuk wrote:Seeing as the engine bay is full of them I bought a set of the proper pliers from Halfords, they weren't any dearer than the indies.

Laser toos make them - http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?item=756&cat=0

Steve.
They look like pliers for the spring clips (which are easily managed with mole grips), not for these clips in the pictures - though they probably would allow you to remove them. I suspect Citroen made a special tool because the clips are just as awkward to put back on, especially if they're large like those leak-off return pipe clamps on the hydraulic rams
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

citrojim wrote:That little "Lazy C" spanner I've spoken of in the past is a handy little thing
I haven't recovered to try again but I obviously don't have the right tool for this bolt or I'm not getting the angle I need - hard to tell when you can't see or feel your way, I can't even confirm it is a 13mm. :(

So what's this spanner look like Jim, I might have to get one?
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Definately the right tool for the job. The jaws are different sizes which means you need to get them the right way around depending on whether you are removing or refitting the clip. They saved me a lot of cursing whilst working on the 2.1 and 2.5. What you can't see in the picture is the notch cut out of the 'blades' which allow the pliers to sit snugly either side of the ridge on the EGR clip.

Steve.
not applicable