Coolant pressure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

If you mean one of those sniffer tubes that turns yellow if exhaust gas is present, it's only a pH tester.

Cant remember if its for acid or alkaline but the kit is all available from your local pet shop (aquarium section) in the form of a pH tester kit for about a fiver.

I'll look up exactly which solution you need and get back here later.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:If you mean one of those sniffer tubes that turns yellow if exhaust gas is present, it's only a pH tester.
That's interesting Elma :) More details please! I always thought these things worked on the detection of combustion products and never knew a pH measurement could do the same thing...

The MOT emissions tester will do the same job.

A sensitive nose works well. I detected a failed HG on a Clio a month ago using my nose. Amazingly, it is still running around locally despite drinking water like a fish now and only running on three cylinders :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

elma wrote:If you mean one of those sniffer tubes that turns yellow if exhaust gas is present, it's only a pH tester
Yes, sounds like it. You fill a sucker with dye and draw the gas out the coolant through the dye when hot which changes to green or yellow depending on concentration of gases. Green is not as bad a HGF as yellow apparantly.

Jim, I think this is the one Here