really strange problem. Cant get over 70mph. Xantia 1.9 td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ellevie
My Cars:

Post by ellevie »

Could this possibly be something so simple as the accelerator pedal not being properly anchored ? This is a known problem on the BX where the side of the pedal box to which it's anchored splits due to continuous stress.
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

elma wrote:What area are you in ric?

I might be interested in taking it off your hands if its going for scrap.

Send me a pm if you will please.
im in cheshre mate.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Sounds a bit like the big ends on its way out struggling to go uphill.

What milage has the car done to date?

How frequently do you change the oil?

Regards Nigel.
hollis
My Cars:

Post by hollis »

Sounds like the turbo has siezed up, had the same problem on a Xsara TD. Easy to check, with the engine stopped, just unclip one of the flexi air hoses on the turbo so you can get a finger inside and see if you can turn the turbo.
If you don't want to get under the car then the other option is to unclip the intercooler inlet hose (this is the other end of the pipe mentioned above) this should be delivering pumped air from the turbo and with the engine running see if it blows air when you rev the engine. If you put a plastic bag on the end and rev the engine it should inflate the bag fast.

Mine needed a turbo rebuild, if yours is just siezing you may be able to clean it up. May be worth checking the turbo oil feed pipe, think there is a filter that can block if oil changes are neglected. Resulting in a siezed up turbo.
hope it helps
Steve
ricflair

Post by ricflair »

well today its got worse, some stretches ont he motorway it was struggling to do 30-40 and kind of chugged along if that makes sense.

If i break and clutch to change gear down, sometimes it will stall. And when i try to start it, it will only start if i push on the accellerator !.

Im going to look at a new car later on. Whats the score with scrapping a car? never had to do it before.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Where are you/car located?
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

MikeT wrote:Where are you/car located?
As posted above, he appears to be in Cheshire
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Before you buy a new car, change the diesel fuel filter as I mentioned before, it will cost less than fiver at GSF.

Could save you loads of £££ and grief..

Do it and report back.

Good Luck
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)