Non starting Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

That's what I used to retreive my socket today. I've got two of those handy tools, one small and one very chunky, both have earnt there cost as I can be very clumsy. :oops:

Anyway, time to bring this thread to a close as I've managed to put everything back together, replaced the battery without incident and she started on first crank after the glowplugs did their thing. :D Assuming the glowplugs failed at different times, then it must have been previously starting on only one? Is that possible?

The AA was spot on with his diagnosis who remarked about the cloud of smoke out the exhaust on starting. Good tips to remember, I think.

Well done to Jim for making the same correct diagnosis.

Thanks everyone for your support 8)

The question now is, should I sell it for a quick profit before I get too attached to it and buy an even better condition xantia 1.9TD? Other options are to put it up for the MOT and see what work is necessary or just carry on tinkering until MOT expires (end of this month) and take it from there?
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Mike if it was me i would chuck it in for an MOT going to cost about £40 and that way youll know what to prioratise(sp?)
as you know i paid £500 for mine and it had just had the head valves cambelt waterpump and serpentine belt done plus a years mot and i got lucky with the price,made him an offer before it went to mot he had it up for £695 the day it passed the mot but he was in a hurry for some cash :) :)

regardless of what you paid for it i reckon to buy another good one is going to set you back around £500 with a long MOT so i reckon you will get that for yours with a year MOT whereas you are probably looking at £350 for it tops without especially as youve only had it for a few days would you buy it from someone who had owned it for say a fortnight or would alarm bells be ringing esp with no mot :)

it all depends on what the mot results are Mike but by doing it sooner your probably saving a lot worrying and maybe avoidable expense

Colin
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

It just goes to show that before you go assuming the worst .....

Check the Glow plugs ! :wink:
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Maybe I could write up a proper test procedure. Anyone know what sort of voltage drops you get from pulling 10A, 20A, 30A, 40A and then whatever it is the starter motor pulls? I'll measure the battery voltage tomorrow so I'll have a good comparison of mine.

Anyone think that's a good idea?
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

Maybe not then :oops:

But in case anyone's interested, these are the voltage readings I now get with four new glowplugs.

Ign Off........ 12.9v
Pre-heat...... 11.9v
Cranking..... 10.9v

I have had the battery on charge since taking the last readings so it's not a direct comparison but it seems four good plugs will drop the voltage by about 1.0v compared to 0.3v with duff plugs.
uncle buck
My Cars:

Post by uncle buck »

I've often thought about removing the standard link wire that goes from glow plug to glow plug & taking a wire from each plug direct to a junction box that would be linked to the wire coming from the control relay.

This would make testing the plugs very easy as you would just have to remove the 4 wires from the junction box & you could then test each plug from the end of each of the wires :wink:
2006 C4 1.6 HDi 16V (92) non FAP
2001 Xsara II 1.4 LX
2001 Renault Laguna II 1.9dCi Sport Tourer