Sphere Crud+ LHM Quantities

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
Before I fit the new green balls to car, how do I get the pipes to spheres clear of crud. ?? Also, does anyone know who does LHM in quantities larger than 1 litre, please.??
Greg
Xantia2 TD 1998

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Greg,

You need to treat your car to a dose of Hydraflush, available from GSF in 5L cans. Use it is place of LHM and run it for at least 1000 miles and then drain and refill with LHM. Clean the filters in the LHM reservoir before refilling with Hydraflush and clean them again before refilling with fresh LHM.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you got crud in the pipes? Its not a common problem and if you have the question should be 'Where has it come from?'

Raising and lowering the suspension causes the LHM to flow round the system.
jeremy
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
By crud, I mean dirty brownish coloured lhm. I can't quite grasp how oil would flow round system when there is only 1 supply pipe. If there were 2, yes, but as the system is under pressure all the time the car is on its legs, surely the oil that went into spheres on fitting, would stay there, under pressure?. I know the aerobics gets rid of the air, but wonder how it is physically done, with only 1 pipe. :? :?: :shock:
As regards the LHM oil , I need to get a 5 litre can/bottles---all around my area only seem to do 1 litre cans. An expensive exercise at anything from £6-8 squids a throw.
Thanks,
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Carplan used to sell LHM in 5Ltr cans. My local factors used to sell it. Was about £16.

Steve.
not applicable
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Sphere Crud+ LHM Quantities

Post by CitroJim »

Gregg1100 wrote:Hi,
By crud, I mean dirty brownish coloured lhm.
Hydraflush will get rid of that a treat Greg :D The real crud you will find in the filters. They may well look as if they are wearing black fur coats :lol:

LHM flows around the system quite freely in fact, despite the small pipes and apparantly closed ends in the spheres. There is a lot of movement and circulation of the LHM that keeps it fresh in the spheres. LHM is at high pressure and in small pipes it can move at a fair old velocity. Sometimes you can hear it rushing along the pipes.

The only true dead ends are to the brake calipers; the reason why all brakes must be thoroughly bled after an LHM change.

My local factors want very nearly £30 now for a 5L can of Delphi LHM :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
aerodynamica
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD VSX Mk1 Sinker A.K.A Slugmobile 13'
'Old Katy'
previous convictions: totaling 52litres of LHM in one go:
1968 ID19B 'Old Polly' Stellar white
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker Silver
1992 XM 2.0 SEi Turbo Manual Anthracite Grey
1982 CX 20 Pallas 'Old Goldy'
1993 XM 2.1 SD Auto Light blue
1993 Xantia 1.9 TD SX Mk1 Sinker light Blue
1982 BX 16 TRS 'Cyril' Vallelunga Red
1995 Xantia 1.9 D SX Auto Dark green
1977 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Aphrodite' Regatta Blue
1982 GSA Pallas SE Silver Pearl
1980 CX 2000 Reflex Vallelunga Red
1978 CX 2400 Pallas C-Matic 'Prometheus' Midnight blue
1984 BX 14E 'Cecil the slugmobile' Maroon
1987 Fiat Panda 'the mighty panda'

Post by aerodynamica »

Hi Greg, there is one pipe in to each suspension unit true, but there is a certain degree of leakage allowed in the system ( the main suspension rams leak) and this loses LHM to the rubber dust covers to collect (their flexing feeds the leaked fluid back to the tank via little plastic tubes) so for any given loss due to this leakage the next time the car pumps up, a small amount of the LHM is new. You're quite right to question this: the fluid in the pipe to a sphere moves 'hydrostatically' and whether the car goes to full height or to lowest height, the bit of LHM between the height corrector and the sphere just goes back and forth - except for the long term leakage mentioned.

Spheres are dead easy to change out but there is a longer way to do it that bleeds through new fluid. What you do is have the rear of the car supported on axle stands, depressurise the circuit by setting to the low position, release the accumulator pressure by loosening the 12mm bolt on the regulator by half a turn. Unscrew the rear spheres as per normal(note it's often best to crack the initial grip they have with the car on high setting first then proceed to support it and lower) and have the new pair ready. what you do is to place a bucket under each suspension opening and check the height lever is still on LOW. Start the engine and tighten the regulator 12mm bolt wait till the regulator clicks and switch off the engine. With the buckets still in place, and the engine off slowly move the height control from low to middle and then intermediate (if necessary) and the pressurised LHM from the accumulator releases out the open ended cylinders and goes into the 2 buckets. Don't put the suspension lever on highest as this will dump the full accumulator contents too quickly. This moves all the old LHM out the stretch between the security valve and the spheres. The front pair can be done similarly without the axle stands - just on its tyres at low position. For the front you'd need small basins (?) inder each sphere housing as a bucket will not fit!

I'll admit I haven't done this since I had a BX ages ago and it's too difficult on the CX as you can't remove the rear spheres without first removing the rear cylinders! but well worth the effort to clear the whole circuit.

The Citroen GSA had a special K-shaped 4 way junction on the front hydraulics as the GSA didn't have a low setting on the height control lever. To depressurise the G front end you loosened an 11mm bleed nipple with a long rubber return line to the LHM tank fitted and the front end dropped. I'd consider getting a K-shaped junction and fitting a bleed on the unused 4th port for bleeding the front and rear axles individually and with no need to take off the spheres.
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi