cit c3 1.4 hdi 16v exclusive 2002-03

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler
My Cars:

Re: cheers for the help

Post by wheeler »

neotheone wrote:I am sure my car is a delphi system and it does not have a lift pump.
Its a Delphi C6 injection system & your right it doesent have an in tank lift pump.
JamesQB
My Cars: Citroen Xantia 1.8 - I miss this car a lot.

Post by JamesQB »

It's the Delphi C6 injection system. If you have the fault codes read and ask for the actual codes they get, I have a full list of fault codes and their meanings.
Last edited by JamesQB on 10 Jun 2008, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.
Honda Civic 2.2 CDTi 2006
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Just got around to doing what I'd planned on doing for weeks - disconnecting the battery and leaving it that way for half an hour. My reasoning being that I wanted the ECU to reset in case ECUs can crash and also because I recalled reading that an ECU loses the data it has accumulated from your driving style which it uses to alter the way it manages the running of the engine if the battery is disconnected, so thought that it might be good to erase that and get back to the basic setup.

Anyway, despite not being used for hours and normally very hard to start after this amount of time, after reconnecting the battery it started first time, the tractor noise was gone, the terrible rattling and clanging after first starting was entirely absent, especially noticeable when pulling off. Did still sound like tractor every now and then when driving, though.

Now to see how long it lasts until it reverts to former state - if it does. I have read of others that have had something done to them only to go back to their previous sorry state a few days later.

Neotheone, maybe you'd like to try the same thing as me and see if it makes any difference to your car? Even it the car reverts to how it was in a few days time, at least something has been learnt. All helps, as I plan to get hold of Citroen UK one way or another...
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
neotheone

Will try good job

Post by neotheone »

Will try this today, at least this is pointing to an electrical problem with possibly a sensor fault. Will the crank sensor knacker if the oil is low - asking because the levels on my car are very erractic - oil gauge on dash everywhere and dip stick varies also?

Let u know james how I get on with the battery dissconneted method....
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Car was already back to being bad this morning, although not as terrible as usual, it still took excessive starting and sounded like a tractor. Now wondering if 2 to 3 hours was long enough standing after previous trip before disconnecting battery and trying it again. Might try disconnecting it again in the next few days but this time after it's stood overnight at which point it's guaranteed to be very hard to start with no exceptions.

Don't know if you want to leave yours a certain amount of time after which you know it's guaranteed to be hard to start - assuming yours is like mine and normally starts quickly if it was running in the previous few hours.

Incidentally, also discovered today that as I was driving along, the coolant temperature gauge took 4 miles before lighting the first light, then at 6 miles the 2nd and 3rd lights lit simultaneously and at that exact point the tractor noise stopped and the car sounded smoother without so much rattling from engine, and drove more smoothly. Not sure what to make of that.
Last edited by JamesQB on 10 Jun 2008, 23:57, edited 1 time in total.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Duff thermostat?
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

..or duff coolant temp sensor feeding dodgy temperature info to the ECU and dash display perhaps?
neotheone

No joy

Post by neotheone »

Waited for 2 hours for this mobile auto tune fella to arrive on sat, but no joy so I am looking into a local garage with code reading equipment.

Did the remove battery mod and it started first time but after half a day it was problematic again, also it seems worse after the first start - cold morning sat there all night and starts fine but 1 1/2 to 2 hours later problems???????????
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: No joy

Post by myglaren »

neotheone wrote:Waited for 2 hours for this mobile auto tune fella to arrive on sat, but no joy so I am looking into a local garage with code reading equipment.

Did the remove battery mod and it started first time but after half a day it was problematic again, also it seems worse after the first start - cold morning sat there all night and starts fine but 1 1/2 to 2 hours later problems???????????
Looking more like a dud sensor.
JamesQB

Post by JamesQB »

Still no further with my C3. I'm not paying hundreds of Pounds to have parts changed here and there in the hope of sorting the problem out. The dealership wanted to change the injectors and charge me £1600. Not a chance. Such a young car shouldn't need injectors or a new ECU.
Last edited by JamesQB on 10 Jun 2008, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
Peugeot 407 2.0 HDi 2007
neotheone

I am back

Post by neotheone »

Sorry about that, had to go away with work, now I shall try to get these codes read....
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: I am back

Post by CitroJim »

neotheone wrote:Sorry about that, had to go away with work, now I shall try to get these codes read....
Whearabouts in the UK are you?

If anywhere near me, pop in and I'll try doing a diagnostics session for you..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
neotheone

thanks for help

Post by neotheone »

I am from Runcorn, in Cheshire - Local garage tried but their system was crap and kept crashing (didnt have a clue!) Thanks for your offer of assistance m8..
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: thanks for help

Post by CitroJim »

neotheone wrote:I am from Runcorn, in Cheshire
Shame you're so far away :( If ever you find yourself passing this way, I'm only 5 minutes from J14 of the M1 (on a good day :twisted: ), get in touch and call in...

You'll get a better cup of tea here than in the services :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
neotheone

Thanks for the help

Post by neotheone »

Cheers for the offer :P , I will try to plod on with this situation and finding the fault