Veg Oil MPG.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bigjl2
My Cars:

Post by bigjl2 »

If you go onto sites like http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk you will get all the info' needed, it comes under the 2500 litre limit just keep your costco reciepts, but remember it is a household limit not individual, just search that site.
Xantia 2.0SX estate (now sold)
Xantia 1.9 TD SX hatch 102K (all old MOT'S) and working A/C.(Sold to forum member, time to save for a C5)
2007 Berlingo Multispace 1.4i Forte, bought in November with genuine 27k miles, now on 39799 miles.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Xantiaman583 I notice from your signature that you run a 50/50 mix. DO you always run this mix or do you vary it at all depending upon season? Have you removed the thermostat from the fuel filter or do you find it isn't necessary at the mix you use?

Cheers

Penguin
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Penguin wrote:Xantiaman583 I notice from your signature that you run a 50/50 mix. DO you always run this mix or do you vary it at all depending upon season? Have you removed the thermostat from the fuel filter or do you find it isn't necessary at the mix you use?

Cheers

Penguin
I've been running 100% past few days as its been warmer which stops the leak from the pump. No mods at all and thermostat still in place. Still starts fine but needs a full cycle of the glow plugs when cold and hot.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Cheers for that. Mine needs the glow plugs on Diesel anyway! I think I have managed to source a supply of WVO so as soon as my mate sets up his centrifuge filtration system I'll be cooking on gas (or rather, driving on veg oil).

Penguin
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Penguin,

With My Mk2 Xantia I mainly run SVO cos i get it cheap.
I bought a Stanadyne fuel heater from ebay for about 20 quid, I then bought a 12volt DC remote control switch and remote kit from the US which cost me about £7.00 unlike Maplins which will cost you £40.

The Stanadyne heater is an insulated metal tube that fits directly in the fuel line just before the fuel filter on My Xantia. (they were designed for renault's in icy temperatures orriginally driven in Russia during the winter).

There is a fuel line plastic connector over the top of the engine which I removed and fitted the heater to either end. then you fix a metal bracket to the front of the car above the radiatior to hold the heater in place.
It is bertter to slope the heater uphill in the direction of flow to acheieve a convection current within the fuel line to warm the fuel.

Now the stanadyne heater heats up to 10 degrees C and cuts out because it is thermostatically controlled, (leaving it on all night kills even a new battery) but if the temperatures are below 10 degrees C I use the remote and switch on the heater about 15 mins before I go out this warms up the fuel line and to some extent warms the filter to and seems to aid starting compared to no heating at all. esspecially using a higher ratio of SVO. ie 70%.
It's not to bad a conversion for under £30.00 in total.
But you may need to find a cheaper source of SVO first.

regards Nigel, PS I have got away with leaving the heater on all night once or twice but it don't half heat up the fuel line by the mornning, the whole engine bay was quite warm.
Penguin
My Cars:

Post by Penguin »

Thanks for the reply FOWMC. As I put in my earlier post I have secured one source of free WVO and am currently waiting to hear back on another, larger free source. Hopefully they will come through for me as I need to split my supply with the guy who's doing the oil cleaning. If both supplies are secured I/we should have plenty, all for the cost of a weekly collection (about 5 miles round trip!).

Wish me luck!