xantia mark 1 1.9turbo diesel fuel injection pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevino
My Cars: i have a c5 vtr which i love.
Ive had, visa GT, 2cv, dyane, BX X 5, 2x xsaras, mark 1&2.

problem solved

Post by kevino »

Hi Everybody,
after many days trying to solve this annoying problem with my pump I finally gave in and took it to a garage I have used in the past :cry: they have spent 3 days working on the mystery fault and have come up with the solution.
The problem was that the previous person who put the new pump on had swapped the bolt around that holds the fuel line going into the pump with the return bolt, now these bolts are hollow with a hole in the side to let fuel into and out of the pump, but one has a hole the size of a pin prick and the other has a hole the size of aproximately 3 mm, so my car would run on tickover but as soon as the engine demanded fuel the tiny pin prick hole could not supply enough fuel.

Kevino
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's incredible Kevin!!!

Now that would have foxed many for ages. hats off to them for finding it!

Normally, there is little or no need to remove the banjo bolts, the fuel inlet perhaps more often but usually the return banjo can stay put whatever you're up to on a pump.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Eeeeeek :shock:

What a doggy fault to find there - no one would ever expect such a problem :roll:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
kevino

fuel pump

Post by kevino »

I have decided to confront the garage that originally did the work as it was their fault in their workmanship that caused me to take my car to a second garage to have the fault fixed, I think i am entitled to get the first garage to pay the bill of the second garage for finding the fault that the first garage had caused. I am waiting for the bill from the second garaged, but i am expecting it to be somewhere in the region of £300.
But on the upside i will have my Xantia back on the road, and i love driving it so much.

Kevino
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Looked like "evildiesels post" hit the nail on the head, well done.

If you look at the head of the bolt, it is stamped "OUT", and has an integral mesh filter inside, it is crimped in, so difficult to clean..
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
kevino

diesel pump

Post by kevino »

hi everybody,
I have today got my car back from the garage and it is now running fine after spending £265.00 on a problem that was caused by another garage.
I think the original problem was caused by using vegetable oil instead of diesel, if i am to use vegetable oil again i will definately be using a 50 / 50 mix of oil and diesel and not just veg oil as i had been doing. I am going to confront the garage that i originally had the work on the car done by and see if i get any recompense, I will let you know how it goes. If any of you you live in Merseyside I have the name of the garage to avoid, all you have to do is send me a message here and i will send you a private email.

cheers kevino
evildiesels
My Cars:

Re: problem solved

Post by evildiesels »

kevino wrote:Hi Everybody,
after many days trying to solve this annoying problem with my pump I finally gave in and took it to a garage I have used in the past :cry: they have spent 3 days working on the mystery fault and have come up with the solution.
The problem was that the previous person who put the new pump on had swapped the bolt around that holds the fuel line going into the pump with the return bolt, now these bolts are hollow with a hole in the side to let fuel into and out of the pump, but one has a hole the size of a pin prick and the other has a hole the size of aproximately 3 mm, so my car would run on tickover but as soon as the engine demanded fuel the tiny pin prick hole could not supply enough fuel.

Kevino
Yo Kevin, I thought you had said you checked everything???
evildiesels wrote:Hey Kev, just a quick thing too dude, when you are pumping the primer it should get firm to squeeze in around 5 - 10 pumps, if not make sure they haven't used the wrong banjo bolt in the fuel return fitting (may have taken the fuel in banjo bolt from the old pump or something like that or swapped them round i.e. resricted banjo bolt in the inlet position), it should have a restricted fitting in it so the internal pump can raise the internal pressure to required psi - worth a look to satisfy your self, easy too do as well, 17mm socket and pop it off and have a look at the end of it, will have an orrifice etc, good luck mate
Cheers
Tsk Tsk, would have saved you time and money, never mind at least its sorted man :D