xantia hydraulic pumps

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You would think that Viton seals would offer better perfomance in the long run on these pumps.

Alex
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

The part numbers you gave anders are for the newer pump the citroen dealer told me but they have the seals i need for the pump i have,is this goin to a be a tricky job ive replaced seals in danfoss motors and other hydralic pumps,is there anything i can use that will clean out the lhm fluid or is it best just to dry cloth it
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

AndersDK wrote:Cheers Simon 8)

Nice seeing you are back again as ever ... :lol:
Yes, I'm still around. :)

I've just been a bit busy and haven't seen many suspension threads to pique my interest lately... :lol:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

toldem_oldham wrote:The part numbers you gave anders are for the newer pump the citroen dealer told me but they have the seals i need for the pump i have,is this goin to a be a tricky job ive replaced seals in danfoss motors and other hydralic pumps,is there anything i can use that will clean out the lhm fluid or is it best just to dry cloth it
Have you checked to see where the leak is actually coming from ? You could save yourself a lot of effort by only replacing the seals where its actually leaking. It's most likely only leaking from one place.

For example on my (current) pump, the only one leaking was the seal on the blanked off 19mm hex head bolt (one of the two pistons for the main suspension/brakes) and this seal can actually be replaced in-situ in just a few minutes, without having to remove the ACC belt or the pump. (Well at least on a 2.0 petrol, maybe not on a 1.9TD)

Try to clean the pump thoroughly first with a rag and then with a solvent like petrol until its spotlessly clean and then let it run for a while and identify where the leak is actually coming from.

The following diagram may help, and shows all potential sources of leaks:

http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... +2pump.jpg

As to how difficult it is to replace the seals - that depends on what seals. I found it impossible to replace the 6 green o-rings under the torx bolts because I simply couldn't get them undone without risking damaging the housing.

These are the bottom item 1 on the diagram. It's quite unlikely to be these leaking though.

The two seals for the suspension/brakes (top item 1 in the diagram) are the most likely culprits and can be replaced in situ if the pump is at the top, but again, possibly not on a 1.9TD due to the location of the pump.

They're tight but not too tight, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them out with the pump held in a in a vice.

The seals at item 2 and item 5 require the pump to be split into its 3 sections - basically just undo the three bolts through the housing carefully.

When withdrawing the pulley with the eccentric cam on it be careful of the bronze sleeve and the cam surfaces and try to get the sleeve back in the same way around when reassembling.

Compared to the older BX/CX pumps they are relatively easy to get apart and put together again. (Torx head bolts excepted)

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Also don't forget the small lip seal behind the pulley.

I seem to think that Pleiades sell a complete seal kit for servicing your own pump, it would certainly be worth trying.

Regards
Slim.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

slim123 wrote:Also don't forget the small lip seal behind the pulley.

I seem to think that Pleiades sell a complete seal kit for servicing your own pump, it would certainly be worth trying.

Regards
Slim.
Hi Slim,

What seal are you referring to ? 4 on my diagram or 5 ? If you're referring to seal 4 on the pulley shaft, I was under the impression it was impossible to replace that seal without removing the pulley from the shaft, as the shaft is captive ? (Not a DIY job) I certainly couldn't see any way of doing it when I had the pump apart...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1978 CX 2400
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi Simon.

Yes, seal No 4 is fitted to the triangle plate behind the pulley, to get this changed it is a case of press the shaft through the pulley / plate assembly, the hook out the old and pop in the new.

These days I dont bother though,if I need a pump sorted I get an exchange unit from Pleiades. It's just so much easier that way.

Regards
Slim.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

As pr Citroen service net - the O-ring seals listed are valid for '95 on (antisink on) model pumps with the later type servo assist steering and 2-port pump. They will cover the pump type on a series2 TD LX.
Whatever your parts man is trying to get you off in ...

If the part no's given are not valid for your type of pump - please list the model & year of your Xantia - as I'm not a mind reader 8)

Alex :
The rubber used for all seals in LHM hydropneumatic systems are made of Viton.
Problem is not that the seals disappears or migrates. Problem is material fatigue by the compression and Hi frequency vibration in the pump. This flattens the seals to the point where they start leaking ...
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

ive split the pump and there was no larger o ring in the pump just a gasket that was broke as i separated the pump so poss leaking from that could not see any leaks from any loacation just a drip on to the alternator but no lhm on the top of the pump so the top seals must be ok,is it just me or do citroen dealers try and make it as difficult as possible because you aint spending a fortune in there workshop they wanted £700 when the leak appeard for fresh pump aux belt and labour :shock: sorry anders for being vauge with info ok :roll:
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hi All.

Just a quickie to say that I went to Pleiades today and that they do sell a seal kit for the pump, it includes all the seals needed to fully overhaul and will do the early or late pump, in the early one you will just have 2 x seals left over.

On another note I did ask Martin if he would like to join in on the forum as his knowledge would certainly be a boost, but whilst he will look into it he does say that he is not too good with computors, I have offered a coaching lesson to show him around the forum and how to do it, we will see!!!!

Regards
Slim.
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

Well i changed all the o rings but pump but now leaking from the shaft but was leaking from 1 of the star key plug seals underneath and the pump is still noisy so ive put a exchange 1 on it £145+vat from gsf,and how long has total garages stopped doing lhm fluid,so went to local motor factors and they had never heard of it :shock: but did find some lhm+ from another motor factors
so up and running again now but need to change accumalator sphere if i can get it off,
gsf dont do a sphere removal tool i do have 2 oil filter wrenches
1 chain 1 belt but wont budge it yes i did de pressurise the system also tried stilsons but just slips off so it looks like c4 or dynamite perhaps ](*,)
02 c5 2.0 hdi sx estate
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

toldem_oldham wrote:Well i changed all the o rings but pump but now leaking from the shaft but was leaking from 1 of the star key plug seals underneath and the pump is still noisy so ive put a exchange 1 on it £145+vat from gsf,and how long has total garages stopped doing lhm fluid,so went to local motor factors and they had never heard of it :shock: but did find some lhm+ from another motor factors
so up and running again now but need to change accumalator sphere if i can get it off,
gsf dont do a sphere removal tool i do have 2 oil filter wrenches
1 chain 1 belt but wont budge it
yes i did de pressurise the system also tried stilsons but just slips off so it looks like c4 or dynamite perhaps ](*,)
The one in this thread should do the trick
Plaeides
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have usually found Total LHM without much trouble - my Friendly Local Motorfactor stocks it. I have almost always bought Total but have resorted to Halfords stuff on occasion.
Looking around in my usual disorganised fashion I discovered this Wikipedia article that might be of interest, despite preaching to the converted.

One omission from the list of vehicles using the system is that of DJB articulating dump trucks produced in the late 70's and through the 80's. The company (local to me, I worked on their advertising for a while) was bought up by Caterpillar. Information on the continued use of hydropneumatics seems to be unavailable.

Total LHM is still available in 20L drums at £96 a drum.

The search also threw up this on Hydrourincage. Handy for Kiwi's.
aneesh84
My Cars:

Re: xantia hydraulic pumps

Post by aneesh84 »

I need to change a couple of seals becuase my pump seems to be leaking from a couple of places, including the large seal 402686.

I have never opened a pump before, is there any precautions or specific guidelines to follow?

As a temporary alternative to stop the leaking how about putting silicone over the leaking joints and seals of the pump?
Xantia Estate 1999 2.0 HDI 110
C5 2005 2.0 HDI 138
Nissan Leaf 2018 40Kwh