Cig Lighter Stopped Working...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Cig Lighter Stopped Working...

Post by mattpc »

Xantia Exclusive HDI Estate 1999 Been doing a couple of jobs today and at the end I now discover that the previously working cigarette lighter has stopped working as has the 12v cig socket on the passenger footwell side.

Story is I had the drivers side door apart looking at why the electric window was not working. Turned out someone had removed the reg alltogether and the glass was propped up with wood!!! I had an unfortunate short when a wire came out of one of the connector plugs and interfaced with another. Cue mild smoke! Switched the car off changed the fuse which had gone as a result and all seemed well. Then removed the plastic trim from drivers side A Pillar so I could feed thru the microphone cable for my Parrot Bluetooth kit. So far so good but later in the day when driving no power from fag lighters! Boo. Checked fuse and that seems ok. :cry:
Should add that I've had the radio out of the Xantia because its being rubbish and I want to fit a new non standard one. Could I have knocked the wiring out for the fag lighter do we think?
Xantia number three is..
HDI Exclusive Estate Cat C
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I would certainly check that the correct fuse for these outlets were replaced - not the one you found blown.

Just before easter I messed around with my BX cooling fan circuit and could not get it powered, until I had a glance in haynes BX table on MkII fuses. Here the fuse is F4 for the blower, but the icon on the fusebox itself clearly says its fuse F2 8)

All things are possible with those cars you know :wink:
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Thanks for the reply Anders. I have checked the fuse for the circuit and it is fine. I suppose the next simple check is to remove every fuse in turn to check that no fuses are blown. Anyone know if the Haynes manual is accurate with regards to the numbering and descriptions of Mk 2 Xantia fuses? My copy which covers HDI and newer xantias has a special list for the Xantia Mk2 Fuses.
Xantia number three is..
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The haynes fuse table should be correct.

I belive I read on a danish Citroen forum about the cigar lighter outlet being (physical) weak on its cabling, making it snap or unhook somewhere behind the panel.
That would be a LHD issue, but might be applicable on RHD export cars as well.
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

It is my understanding that the wiring to cigar lighters and 12v sockets is notoriously fragile and not up to the job in all honesty. That's why it's generally inadvisable to run anything much off them (like inverters, TV'x and so on).
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Hmm interesting stuff. Since I will be hopefully using my invertor when camping with the car perhaps I should rewire the Cig lighter sockets? Has anyone done this before?
Xantia number three is..
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mattpc wrote:Hmm interesting stuff. Since I will be hopefully using my invertor when camping with the car perhaps I should rewire the Cig lighter sockets? Has anyone done this before?
Dont do that :shock:

You are much better off using some lenght of household appliance twincable directly from the battery - to a freshly installed utility outlet socket where you want - e.g. in the boot.
Just remember to protect the cable and battery against fire by inserting a safety fuse in your cabling as close as possible to the +12V battery connection point (fuse MUST be visible for MOT man). Household appliance cabling is rated at 16Amp in general, so a 15Amp bladefuse and fuseholder would be perfect for protection as well as the max power rate for your application.

Please do not "uprate" the fuse amps without uprating the cable gauge too !
- otherwise your apparatus may suffer from voltage loss in the cabling.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Anders your advise seems sensible but I quite like the current locations of the sockets. Could I not take your advise but use the original sockets?
Xantia number three is..
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

mattpc wrote:Anders your advise seems sensible but I quite like the current locations of the sockets. Could I not take your advise but use the original sockets?
Dont see why not - as long as you go sensible with fuse ratings :wink: