1998 XSARA 1.9TD Crazy wobble / vibration

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

fantastic thanks for that, just hope the ball joints release ok then and it should be a fairly simple job.
evildiesels
My Cars:

Post by evildiesels »

Hi there, can you post up the results of the fix when ya do it, I have a 98 xantia 1.9TD with a similar prob and would love to know if this sorts it out

Cheers
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

"just hope the ball joints release ok "

It can be frustrating getting these joints adrift...

See here

The bolts on the intermediate bearing can be annoying too, if someone has been there before and bent them....
Richard W
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

Cheers for the tip, ordered a recon shaft today for collection on Wednesday I think i'll have the afternoon of to try and sort it.
Whilst looking at this job I noticed the discs were in a pretty poor state and the pads nearly done so ordered them as well. MOT at the end of the month so a couple of tyres and it should fly through. {fingers crossed mode on}
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

done it today, took 2 hours for o/s shaft, discs n pads.

Tips, get replacement shaft, gearbox oil (75w/80), and socket to fit hub nut before you start.. I also needed to replace the 10mm pinch bolt as mine was goosed so maybe get one just incase for the sake of 10p make sure its 8.8 and you get a nylock nut.
1 crack hub nut
2 crack wheel nuts
3 jack up and support on stand
4 remove wheel
5 remove hub nut
6 remove pinch bolt on bottom arm ball joint
7 using long bar over bottom arm and under subframe lever balljoint out of hub (may take a bit of fiddling)
8 pull hub outwart]ds and knock shaft out of hub
9 undo 2 11mm nuts which hold intermediate bearing into bottom engine mount bracket (you need to undo them till there is approx 7-8mm of thread left so you can twist the bolt 90°) then place a container under the gearbox to catch the oil and drift the shaft outwards through the bracket.

10 fitting is reverse, make sure the 2 11mm bolts are twisted to allow the intermeadiate bearing in.

Runs like a dream now.
Thanks for all the help.
evildiesels
My Cars:

Post by evildiesels »

Good to hear mate, I'll definately have a closer look at the same on mine
Cheers
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good job, but i would add to your list,

(1) once car is supported at front both sides depresurise the system, this way you can lift the hub up out of the lower susp/arm and no need for the big bar,

(2) i also remove both the 11mm nuts completly, then with the shaft removed reffit the bolts into the housing with the hocky stick ends pointting outwards and just spin the nuts back on

regards malcolm
a4gom
My Cars:

Post by a4gom »

As malcom says, in point 2, if the intermediate bearing is anything like tight it would be easier to remove the nuts completely but mine wasn't so I was able to pull the shaft out a little and feel the bolt heads to make sure they were clear. I didn't undo them completely as it was the first time I had done it and I didn't really have a clear picture in my mind of what they were / looked like .
Point 1 I guess is more applicable to Xantia's, I was doing it on a xsara so no hydraulics.

Thanks again for your help.