Road Fund Licence

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

den169
My Cars:

Post by den169 »

The do good green activists are a godsend for these morons in government it gives them an excuse to rob the motorists in every way they can.Anyone motorist who votes for those monkeys are either on a lot of benefits or have escaped from a home.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

My Xant HDi 'lives' in France.

It is on a GB plate and correctly insured and MOT'd every year, but there is NO road tax in France for private vehicles, so the best of both worlds. This is technically wrong, but as there is no dosh to collect from the point of view of the French exchequer, nobody gives a damn...
I wouldn't take a blind bit of notice to any of it - the goalposts will be
moved AGAIN in another year or two and it'll make any attempt you
make to keep 'in step' a total nonsense...
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

As Dai says, nature will sort the problem with short shrift... always has!
Don't worry about the planet, it's very resilient and it'll be fine. Whether people will still be here to enjoy it is a different matter.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
Plumb bob
My Cars:

Post by Plumb bob »

And indeed nature is, as we speak lowering the global population with cyclones in burma, and earthquakes in china, it's a shame that it's the poorest as weakest that are dying and suffering, but that is the way of the world, and it always has been, and probably always will be.

It's a shame we can't throw a few politicians and dictators in the path of these natural disasters.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Of course Plumb bob has hit the nail fully and squarely on the head and said what no politicians dare..... that there are several times more of us on the planet than it can correctly support.

Never mind, nature is correcting our breeding errors right under our noses in spite of religions.... etc.
And indeed nature is, as we speak lowering the global population with cyclones in burma, and earthquakes in china, it's a shame that it's the poorest as weakest that are dying and suffering, but that is the way of the world, and it always has been, and probably always will be.

It's a shame we can't throw a few politicians and dictators in the path of these natural disasters.
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Road Fund Licence

Post by Gregg1100 »

I always put the drastic seasonal changes down to the H -bombs let off in the 50's and 60's. The idiots didn't know what the hell they were doing, or possible effects years down the line. I read somewhere something about earth had only got to be put 1/4 degree out of axis for all sorts of things to go wrong. A 200 megaton bomb could possibly have done that.
Back in 50's, summers were summers--winters were bloody cold with snow, now winters have warmer days than summers. :? :? :?

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Road Fund Licence

Post by myglaren »

I always put the drastic seasonal changes down to the H -bombs let off in the 50's and 60's. The idiots didn't know what the hell they were doing, or possible effects years down the line. I read somewhere something about earth had only got to be put 1/4 degree out of axis for all sorts of things to go wrong. A 200 megaton bomb could possibly have done that.
Back in 50's, summers were summers--winters were bloody cold with snow, now winters have warmer days than summers. :? :? :?
Can't tell if that is a bit of hyperbole there Gregg1100 but volcanos, earthquakes and even hurricanes release energy on a scale that makes nuclear detonations look like damp squibs.
Weather cycles (on a grand scale - ice age to greenhouse) occur regularly in the earth's history.

I think we are just seeing relatively minor perturbations here and attributing causes where none exist.

The amount of contaminants spewed into the atmosphere by volcanos grossly outweigh anything homo sapiens is capable of - not to deny that we are making a contribution though.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Can't tell if that is a bit of hyperbole there Gregg1100 but volcanos, earthquakes and even hurricanes release energy on a scale that makes nuclear detonations look like damp squibs.
Weather cycles (on a grand scale - ice age to greenhouse) occur regularly in the earth's history.

I think we are just seeing relatively minor perturbations here and attributing causes where none exist.

The amount of contaminants spewed into the atmosphere by volcanos grossly outweigh anything homo sapiens is capable of - not to deny that we are making a contribution though
My thoughts also....
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Road Fund Licence

Post by Gregg1100 »

Perhaps coincidental--nuclear bombs etc, --I just remember how seasons were in 50's---good summers, really cold snowy winters. Certainly not hyperbole-seen seasons like as described, felt them with my body---or were you referring to the changing of earths planetry angle that I mentioned. :) . I read about that somewhere--not in the Sun newspaper either, :wink: .
Coming back to my two Xants---one a 1.9TD, the other an HDi 90---1998 and 1999 respectively. I take it they are both full price tax models? :cry:
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not disagreeing with you, there are irrifutable perceptible changes. The climate in Sweden has altered dramatically since the seventies.

But it wasn't that long ago (in geological terms but the wink of an eye) that the Thames froze over in winter and markets were held on the ice.

My recollection of summers in the 50's and sixties was that they were much warmer, and the winters correspondingly colder. Memories are funny things though, very subject to selectivity and rationalisation.

Think back 10-12 years ago when the summers seemed endless and the country was in the grip of droughts.

I think that it is cyclic, with major and minor cycles. When they coincide the weather patterns are extreme, when they are in opposition it's all just blah, no summer or winter to speak of, as we are experiencing now.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Road Fund Licence

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote: The amount of contaminants spewed into the atmosphere by volcanos grossly outweigh anything homo sapiens is capable of - not to deny that we are making a contribution though.
The thing is, the amount that they spewed out was balanced by the amount scrubbed from the atmosphere through weathering and other carbon cycles etc.

Think of it as calorie intake.
Get a bloke who takes in 4000kcal a day, that's quite a lot, but if he burns off 4000kcal it's no problem.
If he starts taking in 4500kcal, you could say "Oh well, he's already taking in 4000kcal so an extra 500kcal isn't going to make that much of an impact" but in reality it does and he'll quickly get obese, and suffer hot spells :D

Humans have introduced extra greenhouse gasses through industry and agriculture (methane is more effective at retaining heat in the atmosphere than CO2 for instance. We're being slowly killed by cow farts).
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool