Xantia 2.1 TD, Should I scrap it???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sphinx

Post by Sphinx »

I say break it :D but only becuase you're local(ish) and I would want some of the interior :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

2.1TD water pumps are different to 1.9TD ones and because there is not so much demand for them, I guess they're dearer. 2.1s are not nearly as common as 1.9s and also, 1.9s use a water pump that is also used on a myriad of other XU engines.

Front spheres are dead easy. Set the suspension on low and depressurise by undoing the 12mm pressure release bolt on the pressure regulator by half a turn. Do't remove it or else you'll loose a ball bearing.. You can't miss the pressure release bolt; it's the only 12mm bolt there, in fact one of the only ones on the whole car.

Use your sphere removal tool to unscrew the spheres clockwise. Have some rag under to catc any spilt LHM. There may be a lot if the spheres are really flat.

Clean up any spilt LHM. Take the new sphere seal and dip it in clean LHM. Insert the seal into the groove on the strut top and NOT on the sphere itself. Screw in the new sphere hand-tight only. It does not need to be mega-tight to seal.

Do up the pressure release bolt, start up and allow pressure to come up. Then set the suspension on high and top up the LHM reservior. Take the suspension from high to low to high to low to high (a procedure we call "Citarobics" - this bleeds any air from the system). Recheck your LHM level and finally set the suspension normal. Job Done.

Whilst you are there, check your strut tops. They can corrode. Do a search for how they can fail and how to check them.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The outer spheres are quite easy, as they are under the bonnet they shouldn't have coroded, the centre is more difficult to get at but shouldn't be to difficult with a removal tool.

Set the suspension to its lowest setting, no need to depressurise the system further, fit the tool and unscrew the spheres. The under bonnet ones should come undone quite easily but the centre one will probably be corrode thus tight. If you open a door, then close it, waiting until you hear the 'clunk' of the electrovalve closing, do this three or our times and it should depressurise the centre sphere which will make it easier to unscrew. Once you have 'cracked' them, they should undo easily by hand.

When refitting, smear some grease or waxoil on the the threads, just in case you need to replace them again, and only screw them up hand tight.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry Jim, you obviously type faster than me :oops: Dont the spheres unscrew anti clockwise? suppose it depends on which end you are looking at.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

No worries Peter, I was just about to reply to apologise to you :D

Yes, of course, you're quite right! The spheres undo ANTI-clockwise :oops: I'm a muppet :lol:

I'll get my coat...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have a container handy to drop the old spheres into - an old bucket or similar.
timbo101
My Cars:

sphere maynem

Post by timbo101 »

Hi All,
well I got up this morning and replace the two under bonnet spheres myself.
I couldnt believe how easy it was to change the two under bonnet spheres although I thought I had de-pressurised the system but when i took the first sphere off it shot lhm about 20 feet from the sphere and made a hell of a mess but soon got over it, the second one was easy as anything but I could not get the accumalator off so will get the mechanic to do that one when he does the belt next week.
Thanks for all the advice..tim
1997 Xantia 2.1 TD SX Estate
timbo101
My Cars:

New lease of life

Post by timbo101 »

Hi all,
well i decided to have all the work done so this week i had all the front spheres replaced. New cam belt, tensioner and idler pully.
New water pump and coolant and anti freeze etc.
Its booked in for two new tyres and a full service next week so should have a decent car and hopefuly a xantia owner for many years to come.
Thanks....tim
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's great news Tim :D

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost to have the cambelt and waterpump done?

Our local Indies aroumd here quoted me between £475 and £545 for mine :evil:
Jim

timbo101
My Cars:

Post by timbo101 »

Hi Jim,
I bought the cam belt kit myself which was £90 and the water pump was £48 and the labour to fit it all was £160 so £300 in all.
The labour was a cash in hand jobbie so kept the cost down a bit.
Many thanks...Tim
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

timbo101,
I know its a long time since your orriginal post but I wanted an SX 1.9TD estate so bad I bought one that had been sitting under a tree for five years and paid £1300 for it with no mot, I then paid a mobile citroen mechanic another 2 grand to replace rear brake pads, cambelt, serpentine belt, glow plugs, clutch, a complete set of suspension spheres, LHm flush, a new radiator, rocker cover gasket,front brake pads, front and rear discs and remove the catalytic converter and put a straight pipe in its place.

I have owned my car 4 years it passes its MOT with ease nearly every time except to say for silly things a slightly bald tyre or a slightly white indicator lamp suspension spheres need doing soon again its an ongoing concern but in my opinion worth every penny I spent.
I also waxoiled the whole rear end of the car underneath which cleans up any suspicious rusty looking parts that an MOT station might get confused with a failure (they don't understand citroens very well).

rergards Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.