Xantia drive belt tensioner? EDIT air con seized

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

It may not be that the compressor itself has seized it may just be the bearing that the pulley runs on, on the end of the compressor that has seized.

The compressor has a clutch on the end of it, so that the pulley will run free unless the clutch is engaged. When the clutch engages the pulley will begin to turn the compressor.

If the pulley is siezed at all times, it is almost certainly just the clutch and pulley bearing that need to be replaced. If it only siezes when the clutch is engaged, the compressor is siezed.

I have replaced a pulley bearing before, you need special tools but you can make up your own tools if you don't have them already.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=19794

Thats my post about replacing a compressor bearing.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

We delved into this some time back - it should be possible to fit a shorter belt , bypassing the compressor altogether. I can't find the thread though....
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This was the (very long) thread I think Richard.. I got involved and remember the quite difficult job it is to swap and aircon compressor...

I recall I tried, with Ian, to fit a Pug 405 Non-Aircon belt to his to bypass the aircon compressor and it was just and just too short. Another few mm and it would have slipped on.

Go to Halfords perhaps and sit with all the available belts and it should be possible to find one that might just fit.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Oops, didn't read the second page. :oops:
jeremyonbass
My Cars:

Post by jeremyonbass »

Thank you Kowalski et al for your links.
You did finish up with "All in all its been a pain..."!

Am certainly convinced bypassing aircon with a shorter belt is now out the window, having read those posts.

Out of interest, does anyone know cost of those "special tools" or can suggest a website to look at? It seems bearing-removal problems simply don't exist with those.
1996 Xantia 1.9TD Estate
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Just an idea but i thought that most of the A/C compressors were all the same in terms of pully sizes and mounting brackets just the inlet/outlet pipe locations were different
i did look into this in the summer last year but other things made the project i was working on to expensive so shelved the idea
i did however look into getting a second hand compressor from our local scrappy and the cost was about £30 + vat
providing the pulley is freely moving it should enable the car to be atleast running albeit without A/C unless you get lucky and get a working compressor

Im sure others will put me right on the compatability of the compressors ( over to you Jim :lol: )

colin
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

admiral51 wrote:Im sure others will put me right on the compatability of the compressors ( over to you Jim :lol: )

colin
Here I am! Basically, any compressor will fit physically but the pipe uions can vary.

On Ian's car we just got an old compressor from a scrapyard (for £10 if I recall correctly) with a good bearing and put it on so at least the auxillary belt had a pulley to run around. As long as you don't engage the aircon compressor whilst it is empty of gas/oil you'll be OK.

The compressor is held on with four bolts, one of which is tricky to get to :twisted: Even though it's tricky, it's still easier than getting hold of the special tools and replacing the bearing.

Also, get a decent looking one and all it'll need is a re-gas to get a fully working A/C again!

Do though, have the old compressor professionally depressurised. I did it once and nearly froze myself to death :evil: :evil: The gas is neither toxic nor harmful to the atmosphere (if it is R134a) but it sure is jolly cold stuff.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

If you do get a second hand one then any decent A/C specalist should be able to point you in the right direction to making your pipes fit if they dont do so straight away
the guy i use is able to make up his own pipes on site so a little bit of digging should produce the right result :)

Colin