Xantia N/S front noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Xantia N/S front noise

Post by mcgregor »

Hi Guys
A strange one this. My Xantia has a sort of rattling sound which comes from the front nearside wheel area, but only when travelling fairly slowly (30mph and under) and turning slightly to the right over ripples or bumps. The noise simply does not happen in the straight ahead position or when turning left and does not happen on a fast right hander either. My first thought was drop links but I changed them and the problem is still there. I have had a good look and prod at the nearside suspension but there does not appear to be any play anywhere which could cause this annoying rattling sound.
If anyone has any (and I mean any) ideas what it could be or what to check I would be most grateful.
Cheers
Dave
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Hi Dave,

I have a very similar problem - a particular roundabout with bad ripples on the surface exposes the problem badly - and causes a loud rattle that sounds similar to knocking suspension joints, while turning right.

I can't find any loose balljoints either, and I've even had a local garage look at it and their comments are that the lower arm bushes are slightly worn (on both sides of the car) but otherwise there are no worn balljoints - they can't find a problem either. :evil:

It only seems to be the left hand side, and mostly on right hand corners. Very annoying. I thought it might be one of the steering tie-rod balljoints, have you checked those ?

Also if its Hydractive 2, check to make sure that the large hydraulic pipe that goes from the strut top down around the wing and battery is secured properly, especially where the clamp attaches to the wing - mine is not, and might be a source of noise...

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Thanks Simon.
The lower arm bushes and steering tie rods were replace a couple of month ago at MOT time and there was no noises when they were worn enough to be replaced! The car is not a Hydractive 2 its one of the last (2001) Hdi Forte's.
It really is a mystery and I am currently stumped. The trouble with noises like that is that they sound dangerous even if perhaps they are not.
Cheers
Dave
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Well,

Good luck finding it, and if you do please let us know - I've been chasing the noise on mine ever since I got the car 2 years ago... :? I'm hoping its the aforementioned improperly secured hydraulic pipes...because after that I have no more ideas.

Edit: wait a minute - you say that there was no noise there only two months ago, and then the the lower arm bushes and tierods were replaced and NOW there is this noise ? Doesn't that point the finger at the work that has been done ? Could there be a problem with the bushes fitted ? Perhaps the front bushes on the arm ?

Another thought thats a bit of a long shot - steering rack not bolted securely on the left hand end ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

No it has been fine since the replacements were done and the noise only started recently, but thanks for the input Simon much obliged.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Mine has a similar noise, getting the ARB links changed and brakes, the P bushes to see if it cures it.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

I have done anti roll bar droplinks since it started and a couple of months ago changed both front wheel bearings and lower arm bushes, suspension spheres plus the N/S steering rack tie rod. Everything was great for a while and then out of the blue this noise starts. Its a horrible noise isn't it?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hydraulic ram pistons moving in a cylinder can give some very annoying groaning noises if the mating surfaces are dry - or dirty.

1) check the suspension cylinder pistons. Its "fairly" easy to lift up the bellow and smear some standard bearing grease on the protruding piston surface. Have the car at full height, then it will suffice smearing the lower circumference, as the grease will spread once the car lowers again.

2) exactly the same holds true on the power steering rack ram cylinder piston. Except its easier to reach - from underneath.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

An update on this problem which has persited till now. Among other things the car failed the MOT on nearside bottom ball joint. It transpired that the balljoint could not even be separated from the hub. The garage managed to break their tool and even heat failed to remove it. Therefore a secondhand hub was sourced from a local breaker, new balljoint, wheel bearing etc. Now sorted and the horrible noise is gone. Quite how the MOT man found it when others before him had failed to find the source of the suspension rattle is beyond me but the bottom line is that it is now sorted.
Cheers
Dave