Checking Over Xantia Estate - Newbie Citroen Owner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

The spheres have a thick hard outer wall so I can't imagine you'll have
done any harm with the chisel/hammer approach to removal.

I'd imagine GSF will be open tomorrow morning, bank holidays or not!
Just get there early to make sure you've got the right part; is there more
than one branch near you? Watch with GSF as from my experiences with
them they don't have a great record for packaging the correct items in
boxes etc and the guy on the counter easily knows LESS about your new
car than you do!? In fact most items always seem to have been opened
out of their box before I buy them so I'm never totally sure whether
certain items are even complete...

Check out:
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/contact/branches.asp

I've found the following link on Yahoo groups Xantia forum handy reference:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cM3jRwoVAf ... _table.pdf

Andrew
nobbytucker
My Cars:

Post by nobbytucker »

Update! GSF had two spheres in and sent a driver to another store to pick up, beings as they had messed up a bit. I thought that was decent of them.

I've re-fitted the new (proper) spheres and am cleaning out the reservoir and putting it all back together :D

One small problem ...I have a tiny pipe no more than 3mm in diameter that seems to have popped out from somewhere near the reservoir, and I can't see where it's come from. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

I've got a photo if I can work out how to post it!! OK a bit amatuerish but you can see my little lost pipe bottom left. Any ideas please? Its puzzled me.
Last edited by nobbytucker on 22 Mar 2008, 17:30, edited 2 times in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

You need to host your photo online.
Photobucket is one such host and Imageshack another. There are countless others.
Imageshack is good for it's option to use thumbnails that load quickly and don't use much bandwidth, nice for those on dial-up. Click on the thumbnail and get the full image.

If it is too much hassle, email the image to me and I'll host it for you.
salvadore dot paradise at gmail dot com. alternative address in profile.

Are you still driving the Dalek? :D
Last edited by myglaren on 22 Mar 2008, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.
nobbytucker
My Cars:

Post by nobbytucker »

Ah Thanks ...and thats a very kind offer.

I've remembered I joined one a while back :oops:

I hope this works..

http://www.ringo.com/photos/photo.html? ... =259070435

Will I get more comments on me with the Darlek than the pipe? :D
Last edited by nobbytucker on 22 Mar 2008, 17:48, edited 3 times in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The code you had previously should have done the trick but I've had similar problems with a couple of sites. It has worked eventually but not at first.

I use another site where I cannot embed Youtube videos despite using precisely that same code as the other posters.
Wierd.

If you do a "Quote" on this and examine the code you'll see it is exactly what you were using.
Makes no sense, may be the hosting site not responding somehow - mine took a few seconds to respond.

P.S. Looks like a return pipe but where the hell it goes is beyond me, ages since the Xantia went to motor car heaven.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nobby,

If you give me a few moments to let a shower pass, I'll go have a look at my MK2 and see if I can see the pipe in question and I'll take a photo.

My guess right now is the pipe is the Brake Dosuer leakage return that comes across the bulkhead.

Be with you in a bit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nobby,

Does it look a bit like this one toward the rear of the LHM reservoir in the picture below?

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Just to see if it will work, Nobby's photo.

Mods kill it if it upsets anyone. Or infringes any forum rules.

Maybe we could have a sticky explaining the posting of images. It seems to be a sticking point for many posters on most boards.

One of the boards I am a member of has its own Photobucket account that any of the members may use which avoids them having to create an account of their own for the odd image now and again.
As an alternative to that they are preparing to use a system with direct image hosting, so you can upload to the post in the forum direct from your hard drive.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:Maybe we could have a sticky explaining the posting of images. It seems to be a sticking point for many posters on most boards.
That's a good idea :D If you'd like to do one it would be very much appreciated. One of the admins can then make it a "sticky" thread.

If the forum software should one day get upgraded to phpBB V3 then we'll have the opportunity to implement direct image hosting. phpBB V2 (as we use now) won't support it and presently the forum database would struggle a bit with it.

I've played with phpBB V3 and it is a bit slow unless used on a really powerful server. It is also very different to what we have here, know, trust, understand and love...
Jim

nobbytucker
My Cars:

Post by nobbytucker »

Thats the one Jim!!!!!

Funny that such a tiny bore pipe goes into such a big one, but thats it. Located, fixed back in and just belted up the A4081 and back and it all seems to be working a treat!

Citrojim, myglaren and andmcit thanks so much, I would never have managed it without you :D

Off to the Alps at 6am tomorrow, so fingers crossed for the big road journey, and thanks again!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Have a really great trip to the Alps Nobby and let us know all about it when you return :D

Take some nice atmospheric pictures of the Xantia whilst you're there!
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Jim.
The site I referenced is on V2 and is trying to stay away from V3 as it is a bit of a maze to navigate apparently (for the admins, I'm just a lowly mod).

I'd be happy to do the image posting thing. Which forum do you suggest placing it in (I suppose it can always be split or moved afterwards but plonking it down in the right place from the start wouldn't hurt).

Have to relinquish this machine for a while but will get to it later.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:I'd be happy to do the image posting thing. Which forum do you suggest placing it in (I suppose it can always be split or moved afterwards but plonking it down in the right place from the start wouldn't hurt)..
Magic! Many thanks :D Pop in in the Citroen forum to begin with...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Will do Jim.

Have a great holiday Nobby
nobbytucker
My Cars:

Post by nobbytucker »

Thanks again everyone ....update.

Got everything fixed Saturday ..phew! Loaded up the car (5 bodies, luggage, children, PSP's, Gameboy's etc etc) and shot off down towards Dover. What a great car, fantastic ride, and it goes like a rocket even fully laden :) Cruised nicely at 130 kph across France and may (or may not) have even gone a bit faster when side by side with my friends BMW Tourer!

Got to the Alps and it started snowing as we passed Geneva, oh heaven, skiing on fresh snow :) The suspension was a bit wallowy on the mountain roads, but put it in sports mode and everything stiffened up and it was such a pleasure to drive.

Thanks again everyone!