Xantia front suspension and steering problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Change of plan, uni finished now for the day and my local breaker just had a m reg xantia in.

He reckons the strut tops are like new, so I'm off down before someone else gets there.

Hopefully it's got a n/s mudflap as well, I only have 3 and it really annoys me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Did you get a good strut top James? And what about a mud flap?

I can only assume your silence in this thread means you're out working, fitting the strut top :wink:

EDIT: I ought to have asked earlier if the scrapper was a sinker with an FDV (big squre lump above the pressure regulator sprouting a lot of pipes) on it. If so I could do with a replacement FDV and Pressure Regulator for mine :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

I checked out that Gold LX TD today and both tops look fine to me - there's
no sagging down on the underside nor breaking up of the edges.

Took some pics of the bodywork for you which I can email if you're
interested - the bonnet/rear nearside door and tailgate are straight
(for now - give it a few more days and they won't be, it's a bit of a
rough and tumble yard...).

Andrew
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Well finally sorted on saturday night. (having started 6 days prior)

Was not the simple job it should have been though.
N/S took 15 mins and was easy
O/S took about a week and wasn't quite so easy.

First thing to go wrong was that I Couldn't seperate the strut from the strut top, cue hammer.
Hammer knackered the tthread on the strut so had to replace that from the scrapyard as well.

Any way that held me up about 2 hours and everything was reassembled.
Except for the pipe union to the top of the strut top (you know the one with an 8mm nut)
Impatience had set in so I cross threaded it and put the car out of action, in a most explosive way, for a week.

Luckily for me andmcit came by on his way home and used his pipe flaring tool to fit a new union nut for me and it's been perfect since.

Annoyingly I didn't even need to change the side I messed up, I had already replaced it with a half worn one. But the scrapped car had 2 brand new ones so I had to have them.

Scrapyard was good though, I now have 2 brand new, non leaking, rear lights. Vsx tweeters (already had the other 4 speakers, just need 4030 now)

I managed to get a working keyfob, the centrel locking brain and a full set of barrels as well(including the alarm and the boot) Finally the car will have 1 key and it will do click click locking.

Oh, and the mudflap Hooray!

The car was anti sink jim so no good to you.
I'll keep my eye out if I'm in a scrap yard for you're bit though.

Didn't get down to the swansea scrapyard today Andrew,
planning on going tomorrow as I only have 1hrs lecture.
Really want the door and maybe the bumper as well.
Spent today catching up on car tasks I hadn't done over the week like shopping, walking dog, putting the droplink back on the n/s and buying a new fish.

Important jobs left to do,

Fit mudflap
Fix rear caliper and bleed hydraulics
O/s outer cv boot,
N/s ball joint
Make speedo work
Cambelt + H2O pump,
Turbo seal/s or New Turbo (no idea but it leaks oil and the car is slow)

Not a terrible list, other than the turbo I reckon should take a month or so to sort it all. Then the clutch will go, then I'll go (mad).