finding a specific biodiesel supplier

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Cheers for that tip myglaren! Though I don't think I'll be using the xantia much longer, if at all :cry:

Good point about market forces Kowalski, time will tell. Although I just assumed veg oil was imported.

I'm all for being more "eco-friendly" but I know the council are under threat of fine (from the EU I think) or forfeiture of a government grant if certain recycling targets are not met. That may be what they tell us is "saving" money?

What infuriated me about this bullsh*t was when I saw a TV report that traced where this recycled plastic actually goes and one batch they followed got shipped to Holland for landfill! :shock: It seems "recylcing" is actually a code word for dumped_anywhere_except_UK_landfill :evil:
stuartadair

Post by stuartadair »

i absolutely agree, it is an irresponsible attitude - And I 100% like being a bit irresponsible - Its good for the soul :D

I'm not that old but I can recall government spin over the years telling us...

The Russians will blow us all up
The Russians are our friends now
There will be an ice age
No, we'll all boil as the temperature rises

Go and do some research - the temperature of the planet has varied constantly since day 1, and will continue to do so despite the fact that I put my used veg oil bottles in the bin.
Next week there will be a new panic over something. I think as a species we need to have something to worry about.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

MikeT wrote: What infuriated me about this bullsh*t was when I saw a TV report that traced where this recycled plastic actually goes and one batch they followed got shipped to Holland for landfill! :shock: It seems "recylcing" is actually a code word for dumped_anywhere_except_UK_landfill :evil:
You could argue that that is recycling, via a very long route. Eventually, landfill will be converted back into oil or perhaps coal but it takes a while for that to happen, several million years in fact.
stuartadair wrote: Go and do some research - the temperature of the planet has varied constantly since day 1, and will continue to do so despite the fact that I put my used veg oil bottles in the bin.
Next week there will be a new panic over something. I think as a species we need to have something to worry about.
As it happens, I do understand that climate changes naturally over time and it has been hotter in the past. I should also mention that the thermal output of the sun has been increasing measurably too.

On the other had, atmospheric CO2 concentration has increased measurably. again atmospheric CO2 concentration was higher in the past but we're releasing the CO2 that nature has stored away in fossil fuels.

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/trends/co2/sio-mlo.htm
The Mauna Loa record shows a 19.4% increase in the mean annual concentration, from 315.98 parts per million by volume (ppmv) of dry air in 1959 to 377.38 ppmv in 2004. The 1997-1998 increase in the annual growth rate of 2.87 ppmv represets the largest single yearly jump since the Mauna Loa record began in 1958. This represents an average annual increase of 1.4 ppmv per year. This is smaller than the average annual increase at the other stations because of the longer record and inclusion of earlier (smaller) annual increases.
There is not a lot of argument over whether or not CO2 is a greenhouse gas, it does help reflect heat radiated from the ground back at the ground, clouds do the same thing, ever noticed how cloudless nights are colder than cloudy ones? The argument is not whether or not we are contributing to global warming but how much we are.

If you're not worried about global warming, perhaps you should be worried about what will happen to the world economy when cheap portable energy (i.e. oil) becomes expensive, that is something that we're going to see in our lifetime because of the way the Indian and Chinese economies are expanding...
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

another good place to get cheap veggy is bookers .... currently 15 litres for £8.30 ........
M reg xantia 1.9td 266000 miles expired
R reg xantia 1.9td 186000 miles veggy power expired
L reg renault clio 1.9D 91000 miles expired at 107000 miles
x reg clio 15d veggy power bottom of the car rotted through
06 c5 2.2 TD wowser so much power and comfort 160000 miles