Xantia clutch clip metal???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

ISTR a discussion where somebody suggested that if the clip was fitted the wrong way round then the metal part got pinched between the clutch and pedal and it then led a very short life. Having only had to fit one which lasted till the car died, I've no idea if this is true or not.

There is a description on the net somewhere of a taxi driver making a fairly simple metal clip out of an angle grinder spanner. I'll see if I can find it later.

Now onto a super light hydraulic clutched HDi, so no more clip worries for me :D
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote: Now onto a super light hydraulic clutched HDi, so no more clip worries for me :D
I know Richard, having both a hydraulically clutched Activa and 2.1TD and a cable clutched 1.9TD, my 1.9TD seems to have an incredibly heavy clutch. It's near the end of it's life though and will be replaced as soon as the weather improves, along with the clip.

The downside of our lovely light clutches is that if anything goes wrong with the hydraulics, they cost an arm and a leg to sort out. I wonder why they did not take advantage of the main hydraulics to operate the clutch?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

In the technical sense, a well designed clutch cable transmission should easily outlast a clutch, or even the vehicle. In this case, the attachment to the pedal was designed by a five year old - hence the problem.

Hydraulics would be a good option provided we are not stuck with DOT fluids...
The downside of our lovely light clutches is that if anything goes wrong with the hydraulics, they cost an arm and a leg to sort out. I wonder why they did not take advantage of the main hydraulics to operate the clutch?
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

In the technical sense, a well designed clutch cable transmission should easily outlast a clutch, or even the vehicle. In this case, the attachment to the pedal was designed by a five year old - hence the problem.

Hydraulics would be a good option provided we are not stuck with DOT fluids...
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
slim123

Post by slim123 »

Hydraulic clutch.......

Me for one could never understand why Citroen has a marvelous hydraulic system fitted to the car, yet still uses a cable to operate the clutch...Mad

The first thing that Maserati did when fitting the Citroen system to thier cars was to operate the clutch with it.

Even on the later Xanta's with a hydraulic clutch, it is kept totally seperate from the main hydraulic system, it dont even share the same fluid!!

Regards
Slim.
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Ford for one, hide the clutch slave cylinder INSIDE the bellhousing on one of their models... how about that? Nowt wrong with a well designed cable.
Hydraulic clutch.......

Me for one could never understand why Citroen has a marvelous hydraulic system fitted to the car, yet still uses a cable to operate the clutch...Mad

The first thing that Maserati did when fitting the Citroen system to thier cars was to operate the clutch with it.

Even on the later Xanta's with a hydraulic clutch, it is kept totally seperate from the main hydraulic system, it dont even share the same fluid!!
R.I.P. January 2010.
Previously...
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Xantia clutch clip metal???

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has seen my wizard of a drawing showing an idea for a metal clutch clip. :D . Click on the link. I know the drawing is basic, but the idea is there. It's what I am going to knock up---must be 500% better than a plastic one, where the sides of the metal bit barely grip the bell end of the cable.
Unless the cable itself breaks at that point, my clip mod will last forever.
Greg

90 Kawa EN 500 A1- was running---now dead again
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10 -alive and well.
54 Fiat Punto 1.2 Dynamic

Old Xantias- 16v 2litre 1997 VSX, 2 x 1993 TD Lx, S2 SX 1.9TD
Old Bx's--3 x 1.9 D, 1x 1.6 Auto, 1 x 1.9 GTi, 1 x 1.9 TZS
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

slim123 wrote:Hydraulic clutch.......

Regards
Slim.

yep but it get worse on the C5 with brakes, steering and suspention as three seperate systems
regards malcolm
smokegetsinyereyes
My Cars:

Post by smokegetsinyereyes »

Greg, had a look at your drawings, have a few of my own, I've showed them to a machine man in my work and he said he should be able to sort somthing, at the moment the mill and lathes are being moved about, so it may be a few weeks. gonna go ahead anywy and fit a new cable and clip in work to-morrow and see what happens in the meantime, I do a brave few miles in a month 3000 in Dec mostly finish up in rural back roads, so would'nt like it to snap uot there in the sticks.

Cheers Neill........ 94 TD LX.
If it aint broke dont fix it!!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

slim123 wrote: I know that some folks have mentioned that it has happened after the new clutch has been fitted but, how long was the clip in place whilst the old clutch was in? Also what about the quality of some clutch kits? There is one very common aftermarket brand that I wouldn't fit. What about the quality of the workmanship in fitting the new clutch, I can think of one case where a chap had his clutch done and it was still heavy, just because the fitter diddn't even pull the arm out of the bell housing, clean, grease and fit it back. (I call them fitters as some of these chaps at the mass garages are not mechanics, they simply fit parts)

In my own humble opinion, fit either Valeo or LUK nuffin else except genuine and I think that you will find that a genuine clutch is a re-boxed and more expensive Valeo.
When I replaced the clutch on my '94, it was replaced with a Valeo one. I took apart the arm and greased its bearings, I greased the gearbox output shaft as per the instructions. Afterwards, the clutch on that car was light, I thought at the time it was about as light as the accelarator pedal on the car, i.e. feather light.

I was suprised that with everything being as it should be and the clutch being so light the clip still broke, as I mentioned earlier it was the metal that broke this time and not the plastic.

Perhaps my conclusion is that despite the job having been done properly and the clutch being light and the clip being the stronger variety it still broke.