hdi problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dexy350
My Cars:

hdi problems

Post by dexy350 »

help needed before i take a hammer to my xantia 2l hdi 110
engine management cuts in round 70 mph engine then goes into slow mode max revs of 2800rpm, had mr AAman out said it was the turbo wastegate soloind vavle , looking through a few other posts people say its the EGR vavle on the top of the engine which are the problem so bought a new one still the flaming same.the problem is not there all the time ,turn the engine off it resets itself only when you hit around 70mph then cuts out so annoying.
so what else could it be air flow meter the turbo waste gate or whatever else can go wrong , any other people had any similar problems if so please give me some advise so i can cure it
cheers neil :cry:
Dexy
C5 2.2 HDI SX 02
C5 2hdi exclusive est 06
C5 2hdi exclusive 09
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I'd be more inclined to believe the AA. From what I've read, seems the turbo is minded for overpressure (which a failed wastegate solenoid causes).

Again, from what I've read on here, the EGR is a waste of space and is better disconnected. I don't recall reading it would cause "limp home" mode.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Take a close look at the vacuum pipes/'T' piece running to/from the valves as they can become blocked with crud, thereby giving the same symptoms. Remove each of them in turn and give them a good blow through.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

My did this tonight coming home from london on the M4.Max revs of 2800 & 80 mph.Stopped at services,disconected battery,reconected,engine light still on(anti pollution device fault,on the screen)but it then drove home no probs.It came on the other week,but after pushing a few plugs under the bonnet,it went out.But thats not working now,so will give peugeot a ring tomorrow.
53`406 est SE Hdi 140,110k
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

MikeT wrote:I'd be more inclined to believe the AA. From what I've read, seems the turbo is minded for overpressure (which a failed wastegate solenoid causes)..
only the 2.2 HDi fails on full boost. the 2 litre fails with no boost.

Is the turbo working ok up untill it goes into limp home mode ?
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

Hi, any ideas how to disconect the EGR?

I am guessing its tucked down the back somewhere on a 306 Hdi

Thanks,

David
steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

Disconnect the tube from the vacuum solenoid then put a small piece of washer hose with a bolt in the end on the the solenoid. If you just unplug the solenoid from the loom it may trigger an engine management fault.

Even doing it this way doesn't guarantee that the EGR isn't passing exhaust gasses when it shouldn't, the valve could be stuck or leaky.

Steve.
not applicable
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by lolingram »

Just remove the small pipe from the EGR valve to the electropump unit and voila, no more EGR. I have done this on my HDi90 XANT, and it runs as sweet as a nut - also costs zilch to try.
I'd be more inclined to believe the AA. From what I've read, seems the turbo is minded for overpressure (which a failed wastegate solenoid causes).

Again, from what I've read on here, the EGR is a waste of space and is better disconnected. I don't recall reading it would cause "limp home" mode.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj
moodle
My Cars:

Post by moodle »

Thanks chaps, dont suppose anyone has a piccy of said pipe?

If the vac pipe is removed I guess the EGR stays shut if it functioning right.

Will let you know how it goes -

edit: saw this a while back from another forum I think -

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v727/ ... wclean.jpg
lolingram
RIP 2010
My Cars:

HDi Xantia

Post by lolingram »

I disconnected my EGR valve a couple of years back, and apart from a slight improvement in low end response and improved fuel consumption, there has been no other problems whatsoever.
R.I.P. January 2010.
XM 2.1 auto VSX 1996 - Bosch Inj, Xantia HDi 90 estate 1999, Xantia 1.9TD 1997
Previously...
GS 1970, Dyane 1974, Xantia 94 VSX TD, XM 94, 2.1 auto - Lucas Inj, XM 92 2.1 estate - Lucas Inj