ZX rear sppeaker location??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

deian

ZX rear sppeaker location??

Post by deian »

Hi,

Erm, I have no rear speakers in my car, well not that I can find, nothing in the back doors, the only possible locations they can go is in the boot where there seems to be some vents in the side, but the panel to take off is quite big (as in not like the door ones).

Also the radio doesn't seem to output the signal (purple/green?) (i tested on the front ones) to the rear cables... but funny thing is... the wiring is there... well kind of, it's there, but some numb nut in the past has made them ALL green (not even a black line for the opposite terminal)... positive + negative x front + back x left + right! So there MAY have been ones before. So I have 8 green speaker wires, and no idea which ones are positive and negative, can only work which side they are. Pure idiotacy!

I'm really dissappointed with the radio and/or speakers, they are abysmal and manky, and to top it off, no rear speakers! GRRR The radio MUST go.

What top model radio's came with the ZX that were decent, cd changer at all (factory)? The last resort is to put aftermarket, i'm not a big fan of cosmetic modification inside or out. The speakers can and will be changed for sure, as will the gay cables, they may as well be strands of grass!

Thanks for listening.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

All the ZX radios were crappy, and none came with CD changers AFAIK. Get an aftermarket one fitted for half decent sound. The dash adaptor is only a tenner from Citroen! You'll need an aerial adaptor too, normally about £3.

The original speakers are junk too. I've got 4 replacements fitted in mine (Kenwood and Pioneer I think) which are an improvement. But with the location and way they are fitted, it's never going to sound that great. The fronts are blocked off by the dash with the doors closed, and the rear grilles tend to vibrate!

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
deian

Post by deian »

yes, the dash does get in the way, what the hell were citroen thinking when they designed the sound for this car!
Village
My Cars:

Post by Village »

Citroen engineer designing ZX sound system was thinking:

"I wonder what's for dinner ce soire" :lol:
French car free zone....
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The Citroen suggestion is that you put speakers in the rear doors and I think panels are available.

Standard wiring looks like 4 speakers but when I had the trim off the centre pillar on our Avantage I could only see 2 tiny wires going through the trunking - which must be for the door locks so I assume there are additional bits of loom available - but its easier to make your own wiring.

Polarity of speakers isn't really important - connect them up and if they sound bad (like the sound doesn't seem to be coming from between the speakers) reverse the wires on one and see if its better.

Radio won't be going DAB only for years yet (no date fixed) so why not get one of the many cheap radio/CD/MP3disc players - put your music onto MP3 (using Audiograbber or similar free download) then put that onto CD - and you have about 10 hrs music on each disc with full access if you can follow the instructions and true 'Random Play' if you feel adventurous.
jeremy
deian

Post by deian »

I think I will have to go aftermarket, I've seen a nice sony one with bluetooth link to mobiles, and it plays ipod music, i have a over 3000 tracks on itunes, now to get an ipod, speakers, stereo.

I shall be keeping an eye out for the rear door panels.

Do the front have better panels? The speakers are indeed obscured by the dash when the door is closed. Failing that, I will go for mid range in the doors, and tweeters on the windscreen pillar at ear level, mid/tweeters in the back door, and a small sub in the back.

Nothing extravagant, just nice sounds.