The XUD9TE engine and its power characteristics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I think that your not being fair to the engines.
Of all the xantias I've known some have been very flat below 2000 and some haven't. Generelly the ones that are good are virtually standard with no sign of tampering or modification to the engine and have had new injectors within the last few years.
The slower ones all have leaky turbos, duff injectors and bits that have obviously been changed on the engine.
Before rating the performance of the engine I think its important to see to it that everythig is healthy.

My current car is a good example. Its a 1.9td lx.
Someone has swpped the turbo on it to the garrett.
They were probably thinking it'll go really fast now.
Actually its the weakest 1.9td I've ever driven.
But after I sort out all its servicing I bet it whoops my old one.

The car has no Injector knock, but there is no reciept for new nozzles either so they are probably not in great condition. The lack of grunt low down in the engine would be explained by this. Also it should have the higher volume nozzles to match the turbo, which it doesn't. This must be restricting the on boost speed.
The turbo itself doesn't look to be to happy either. The oil feed pipes are leaking terribly. I've read that they are a different size for the kkk and the garrett so i think thats an easy fix and am not worried. Although the turbo seems to be blowing oil as well. But a chat with garrett gives me a bit of piece of mind, the seals might not be damaged, urbos will blow oil if not set up correctly.
Finally the pump is on its standard settings. To perform correctly with the new turno it would need the fueling increasing for the garrett.

My last car was totally different. It had new injectors, a clean turbo and had never been tampered with.
That was quite quick throughout its rev range.
It would just stay level with a bmw 120d from standstill to 70mph as well, which I think is a good test for a xantia as my new one doesn't have a hope of doing that yet.

I think what I'm trying to say is if your engine is dead below 2000 you can do something about it. But in my opinion turning up the pump isn't the solution until after the other components are working properly together.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

That's what I was suspecting, all the pump tuning in the world won't overcome poor atomisation etc and I suspect veg oil doesn't help matters either. I'm seriously considering getting new uprated injectors but it would good to see if there is any difference with new direct replacements just to prove/disprove how bad mine are.

My exhaust needs repairing at both ends and I suspect the intercooler could do with a good clean out too. As you say, all these things conspire against performance.

By the way elma, re the turbo leaking, I've read they can weep when cold but seal up when warm/hot, just one of those things, not to worry about? I've also learnt there is an oil filter in the block side of the pipe that can be cleaned or replaced. I suspect mine needs looking at as the oil I changed intially looked pretty old.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I liked the idea of recording the instruments so here's mine to compare.

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/pi ... 400028.flv

0-60 in about 12.5s
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

That sounds about right re the turbo. It only smokes when cold and I don't really rev it then anyway.
Hadn't thought of changing the filter, do you know how hard it is to do?
Mines bad enough that it must be fixed as the oil weeps out of that big metal pipe on the top of the rocker cover and also out of the intercoolers intake, only slowly but its so annoying.
I really want to get it sorted, I even have a nice clean intercooler for it afterwards. Only thing is I haven't replaced the cambelt yet so I'm not going to make the performance any better til after that.

Re the videos Mikes car seems the same as mine, but better below 2000. Quite similer to my old car
The other car is hard to tell. Can't see the start clearly and it doesn't really accelerate right through the whole length of any of the gears.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

elma wrote:
Re the videos Mikes car seems the same as mine, but better below 2000. Quite similer to my old car
The other car is hard to tell. Can't see the start clearly and it doesn't really accelerate right through the whole length of any of the gears.
The start was slightly rolling as i had to turn the wheel first but it clearly sounds 'freer' in my opinion, i didnt floor it till 3k in first and didnt redline it because power drops well before then.

I'll try a daylight one shortly.
You may have also noticed a nylon washer that seats inside the spring area? This is the plunger maximum depth stop. Some report great gains (presumably at higher revs) can be had by skimmin
I removed this on 2 of my other cars :wink:
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

elma wrote:Hadn't thought of changing the filter, do you know how hard it is to do?
I only have the Haynes BoL to go by and it's following the section to remove the turbo which tells you to remove the inlet manifold first! :(
If you read about removing the manifold, it advises you to remove both manifolds to renew the shared gasket!! :( :( But the oil feed hose seems easy enough - loosen hose clip one end, remove support bracket screw and union nut at the block end which houses the filter (where fitted!!!).

So make of that what you will.
elma wrote:Re the videos Mikes car seems the same as mine, but better below 2000
Mine was probably worse than yours below 2Krpm until I fiddled with the pump!
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

XantiaMan583 wrote:I removed this on 2 of my other cars :wink:
That good, eh? :lol:
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

After having the downpipe gasket replaced, I thought I sensed a slightly better pickup before 3Krpm so took another video to compare.

Previously, I did 0-60 in appx 12.5s. This time, even though I missed 2nd-3rd change, turns out to be quicker @ 11.95s

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/pi ... 0003-2.flv
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

http://www.kingpleb.talktalk.net/Xantia/1.9td/

Theres some videos of mine yesterday, not the best quality in the world but done on a phone :)
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I downloaded a 3GP player but it wouldn't play those videos.

I've now replaced the silencer and again, took a comparison video and am surprised that it's got even quicker! 0-60 in 11.25s (appx). I wonder what being cat-free would bring?
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I think we need to go to Santa Pod :wink:
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I was thinking that when I get my ntirous installed 8)
deian

Post by deian »

I think this engine in the ZX is a better combination, being nearly 200kg lighter it really shows after watching your videos. I think it nearly knocks 2 seconds off 0 - 60 time compared to the xantia.

I'd do some experiments in mine so we can compare the engine in a different shell, but my rev counter is not working at the moment.

I've never been in a 1.9td xantia, I'm sure the difference is noticeable. I know the 2.1td xantia is a helluva quick car, I regret selling it now, such a stupid thing to do.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I know that 90/2bhp in a heavy car isn't drag race material, I just want to see some accurate statistics while 'playing' with the tuning options. The 'pod will be a lot more fun than a dyno run or two - and cheaper. Could even make it a meet if others are interested :lol:
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

I'll be going end of the month or beginning of Nov, but it wont be in the xantia, it will be in this.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y97/MG ... t=0-80.flv
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7