xantia heater no hot air

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Water coming out when filling with stopped engine doesn’t mean that it comes out of the matrix.
It may rise from the radiator, up the return hose, and out of the vent.
You would need to run the engine to see if the water squirts out of the vent.
That means risking the valve cap escaping, and even then the flow that the vent will let out is no indication of the full flow required through the matrix.

Since the return hose is only lukewarm with no air in the matrix, it’s a sign of lack of coolant flow, due to a blockage. :(
What does the garage know to say that the matrix is choked with Radseal ? :roll:
Whose Radseal is it ? :?: And since when ? Image

There’s the risk of making holes in the matrix when flushing.
It should be done at low pressure, but with a good flow.
The plastic bend on the inlet side of the matrix is in the habit of breaking.
I’ve just had to bypass mine for now because the replacement is a complete hose assembly at an extortionate price. :evil:

Image Image Image
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back today but she who must be obeyed had other ideas for my time this afternoon.

Well I'm pleased to report success on the heater and rev counter problem as both are now working perfectly, in fact the heater is probably putting out more hot air than it has in my almost 3 years owenership of the car.

The matrix was flushed out and indeed was blocked, the mechanic working on it said it wasn't as bad as some he has seen but enough to cause the problems and thankfully no leaking matrix, they stripped the instrument housing and tipped the binnacle over to get the needle to drop.

The bad news, and this only appeared tonight when it was a bit dull, the temp gauge, speedo and headlight warning lights aren't working why oh why is it when you have to put your car into a garage it always seems ito nvairably come out with something wrong that wan't there when it went in.....or is it just me, so it looks as if another visit on Monday after work is called for.

Still many thanks to you all for your invaluable help in trying to assist me in avoiding the garage, I only wish I was fit enough and competent enough to avoid them altogether but alas I know my limitations but this forum and it's members are a god send for all of us and long may it continue.

Peter
Citroen C5 2.0 HDI SX Hatchback - 2002 (52)
Xantia Sensation 1.9TD (T) Mallard Green (Gone to the breakers)
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi peter
good news and bad all in one day :(

glad you got the heater sorted at last

looks like they have left a plug off when they put binnacle back in or have they turned the dimmer down to zero :?:

its location is on the bottom steering shroud cover on my xantia.

check to see if all lights on the heater controls are working as they are controlled by the same wheel

colin
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Colin,

No it's defnately the bulbs that are out as the fuel gauge and rev counter are lighting up, the odd thing is the heater controls have been lighting up since I got the car back on Tuesday, prior to that they were always a bit tempermental and would be off more than were ever on.

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if the rev counter was working before the car went in for the head gasket job, how come they had to remove the instrument panle to fix it, as i would sudgest all they had to do was either plug the lead back in in the engine bay or just wiggle it, as you dont normaly disturbe anything behind the dash when doing a head gasket, so it seems they are making faults to take more dosh from you to pay for them fixing the job they should have done the first time round
regards malcolm
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

Hi Malcolm,

Well according to some of my readings of posts on here when looking for a tip on how to fix the rev counter, in some instances an electrical suge can cause the needle to revolve all the way round and to stick, the mechanic said today that they had to use a booster to jump start the car and that may have caused it.

It cost me £30 today but that was only for the time involved in flushing the matrix out and replacing the anti freze again and to be fair that wasn't there fault, it just annoys me that in fixing the rev counter another two problems have been caused.

To be honest this isn't my usual garage of choice, in fact I've never used them before as I didn't know they even existed, but my local garage I've been using for nearly 24 years recomended them as they just weren't in taking on the job of doing the cylinder head.

Peter
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

hi peter
looks like the connection may have been loose on the heater control lights (assume its connected in sync with other binnacle lights) so when put back together all is good on that score

there has to be approx 18 bulbs in the binnacle maybe more so if you are taking it in to be done then i would replace all of them sods law one will go soon after if you dont :(

it doesnt take much for them to fail if the thing is being shaken about etc i had mine out to replace a couple of failed ones and i did the lot they just push into the holers unlike the heater control ones which are fixed in the holders

cant tell you how much each bulb is cos i "aquired" a couple of dozen from a "mate" in the trade :lol:

colin