Bad gearchange Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Bad gearchange Xantia

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi all, I have a 1.9TD mkII Xantia and it has got a strange problemwhich is.....
When I start the car it seems ok, when I drive away it seems ok but then, when i go to change from 4th to 5th gear the gate is almost closed (as in, 2nd to third is about a 1" movement and 4th to 5th should be similar but going against the spring) the movement from 4th to 5th is only about 1/4" (same too for reverse). The gate goes ok once i have stopped too on some occasions. :shock:
Anyone got an idea? The engine or gearbox havent been out. Engine mounts ok!!

Paul
1xAmi,3xGS,2xBx,2xAX,2xSaxo,1xXantia mk I,2xXantia MkII,1xC1,2xC2,
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The clutch pedal height over any carpet/mat level should be some 140mm ensuring the clutch releases fully.

Any notcchy clutch pedal feeling - like a hard point to overcome ?
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

usualy with clutch release faults its 1st and reverse which are hard to engage, i have been told by my freindly gear box man these boxs suffer with sincro faults, i think i would try drainning the oil and replaceing it with maybe a semi or fully synthetic oil as these tend to be thinner
regards malcolm
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Its, not a clutch type problem, its more of a linkage or gearbox movement type of problem. It feels a little bit like the linkage pushing against the transmission tunnel (its not though)!!! and its not all the time either. The gear gate seems to reduce between changing from 4th to 5th gear, almost no side movement to the right going into 5th and similar for reverse too??
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Synchro problems on these 'boxes usually show up on 3rd and 4th gears.

Sounds more like a linkage problem and the first suspect has to be the lower engine mount having collapsed and causing the whole engine/gearbox to be misplaced. I've a feeling you've checked this though :? Have you checked the gearbox mount? Mounts usually give themselves away by clonking on drive takeup/overrun.

Other than that, check the linkages carefully, especially where the bellcrank balljoints mount on the subframe. On Pugs these work loose and cause all kinds of selection mayhem. A good grease of the linkage balljoints may be in order as well. Snap and balljoints apart to grease them but don't use too much or you'll never get the joints back togeter again due to hydraulic locking.

One long shot is the long rods between the stick and bellcranks may be bent following an accidential grounding. They're quite thin and don't take a lot to bend them.

The actual selection mechanism inside the 'box is of very stout construction and hardly ever gives any problems.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

okay,
I have been under the car AND I think i have found the problem.
There is a bat near the main gear linkage, it looks like a bent spring type bar. I have bent it away from the linkage and tried driving the car.
Result (I hope), the gear change seems perfect although i may be a bit early saying that!!!!!
Paul
mezuk04a
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04a »

On the Xantia the clutch pedal when pressing down had a notch feeling like Anders mentions.

When I changed the fuel filter (couple of years ago this was) the notch disappeared when all the fuel spilled out.

The clutch plastic clip broke middle of this year if its related.
Golf 55' 1.9TD