Speedo seems to stick

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

roscopervis
My Cars:

Speedo seems to stick

Post by roscopervis »

How do I fix the speedometer on my Xantia VSX 16v (150hp)? Sometimes it works ok then sometimes it sticks and doesnt change readings even though the speed is obviously very different.
Also from a previous post, are the 1.9TD gearboxes of the same type as mine? If not are the gearboxes of the 8 valve 2.0 litre compatible??
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Just a suggestion Rosco & I could be way off target, non the less, worth considering.
I have just had to replace the speedo cable on my BX 16V. Being a RHD car it comes from the gearbox on the left hand side, turns at right angles across the area between dash & firewall and then turns another right angle to the back of the speedo.
I recently did a few jobs on the car including fitting a cam belt that required the motor to be lifted & lowered and shortly afterwards the speedo cable snapped. The car has always had a flicking type of speedo which has at times stayed on zero & suddenly flicked to say 20 KPH and has always looked a bit like a windscreen wiper. When I removed the speedo binnacle, the cable had broken where it attaches to the speedo; it showed all the signs of stress at that point. When I refitted it, I used a zip tie to hold the cable away from the direction it had pulled towards previously thereby giving it a bit of support. I have since been told that it is recommended that the speedo cable be redirected so that the tension is not pulling to the left by the speedo cable.
My thought is; could it be that perhaps the cable has a pressure being applied from the left which as on mine is being stressed at the back of the speedo and thereby causing these dodgy readings by partially jamming it?
Another tip I used was to disconnect the cable at the intermediary podition, connect at the back of the speedo, refit the binnacle and then reconnect at the intermediary position and thereby reducing the chances of applying strain at the rear of the speedo.
Not the clearest description of a job I've ever done but hopefully you can follow it.
Alan S